• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14....errr...I mean episode 9. Rolling Eyes

This episode must have happened after when Haruhi and the gang made that movie. spoiler[Basically Haruhi ordered Kyon to pick up a heater from the electronics store because that was sponsered in the movie. She then molests and harasses Mikuru in order to put some DVD extras for the movie. The ending was really cute. Haruhi was waiting up on Kyon to wake up, and she shared her (or should I say stolen Laughing) umbrella with him. She also put her cardigan onto Kyon in order to keep him warm. Though he did noticed he had a second cardigan on. I bet that was Yuki's! Wink]

Now I wonder it means anything that I was kept awake throughout the scene where Yuki was reading for THREE WHOLE MINUTES! Shocked

Also, did anyone get what card game Kyon and Itsuki was playing?

EDIT: Edited out reference before abunai rapes me and my post! Anime cry

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Tue May 30, 2006 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I guess the movie being made really is the last thing that happens in the series. Makes sense, as it kinda sums up everything that's happened in the series up to then in a implied metaphorical sense.

I think they should have left the last episode to air last though. I mean, mixing up the order of episodes may be clever at all, but the last episode is still the last episode, and should...stay the last episode. Unless of course, it is a cliffhanger that really doesn't end the series at all.

Well, I haven't watched the episode yet, so maybe what I said in the last paragraph has no merit.

[EDIT]Also, assuming that the series really is 14 episodes long. Which would make sense, but, who knows?
Quadraxis

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

Trivia in the Encyclopedia can be entered by any ANN user. This bit of trivia gives no source. I'll say it again. Show me an announcement where it's stated that the series will be 14 episodes long. The official website suggests that there will be 15,498 episodes. While this is highly unlikely, I have seen no other reliable information (from an official source) about a final episode count.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya

Wikipedia says it too.

Besides, it's not like I'm an expert at this subject, so don't pin me down on it.

My opinion on ep 9:
spoiler[Anyway, I also thought the ending was really cute. It wouldn't be a bad ending if the show, as I assume, really ends on episode 14 (although it leaves room open for a sequel). Also, Kyon's sarcastic remarks were (as always) good for a few laughs. ]

Quote:
Now I wonder it means anything that I was kept awake throughout the scene where Yuki was reading for THREE WHOLE MINUTES! Man, did anyone get Evangelion vibes in that "infamous" elevator scene where nothing happens.

Yeah, indeed. That was just boring, it would be funnier if just something had happened...but it was nothing more than Yuki reading a book.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Now I wonder it means anything that I was kept awake throughout the scene where Yuki was reading for THREE WHOLE MINUTES! Man, did anyone get Evangelion vibes in that "infamous" elevator scene where nothing happens. Shocked

Tread carefully with those Eva comparisons; I sense abunai is near. Wink
I tried to pay close attention to the dialogue during that scene, in case there were any sort of hidden meanings or metaphors. Naturally, I didn't find any; the dialogue just seemed to be a theatre/drama club doing acting exercises in the other room.
frentymon wrote:
I think they should have left the last episode to air last though. I mean, mixing up the order of episodes may be clever at all, but the last episode is still the last episode, and should...stay the last episode. Unless of course, it is a cliffhanger that really doesn't end the series at all.

While I think that airing the sequential last episode at this point didn't really prove to be a bad choice, it didn't stand out as being a beneficial choice, either. At any rate, there are more episodes to come, so airing the last episode at the time they did may turn out to be a set-up for the remaining episodes in some manner. Who knows? But I'd agree with you; unless something is being set up, I'd have preferred the last episode to actually be aired last.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Quadraxis wrote:
one3rd wrote:

Trivia in the Encyclopedia can be entered by any ANN user. This bit of trivia gives no source. I'll say it again. Show me an announcement where it's stated that the series will be 14 episodes long. The official website suggests that there will be 15,498 episodes. While this is highly unlikely, I have seen no other reliable information (from an official source) about a final episode count.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya

Wikipedia says it too.

Wikipedia is also user-edited. I'm looking for a primary source of information.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I desire Haruhi figurines.

They would make a fine addition to the increasingly crowded lolicorner of my desk.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
This episode was really relaxed. I'm going to watch it again to try and catch any hidden messages and whatnot, but from the looks of things it seemed to be just another episode about the life of the SOS members. Which is cool. More of Kyon and Mikuru being bossed around, more of Itsuki being a yes-man Haruhi-appeaser, and more of KyoAni's fluid animation and creative camera angles (the ones from inside the locker were great); and none of that is getting old yet. Anyway, I'm really really REALLY looking forward to next week's episode. It looks like it'll cover the part of the first novel that got me hooked.

I'm also loving Haruhi's growing jealousy about Mikuru and Kyon. The whole last scene was a really nice way to end it.
hananokoi

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I desire Haruhi figurines.

They would make a fine addition to the increasingly crowded lolicorner of my desk.

Laughing

Are you crowded with them? Razz
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:35 am Reply with quote
This was the first time we've seen the world without Kyon, right? He's been in every single scene (behind the camera in the first episode, but still present) until he's sent to get the heater in Episode 9[14]. It's an interesting change to the narrative structure, and I think that simple change explains the unique timbre of this episode. It's interesting that Tsuruya-san is used as a bridge between all the characters, first visiting Yuki, then crashing Haruhi & cos. little photo shoot, and then somewhat unexpectedly welcoming Kyon at the shoe lockers. I don't know if that has any deeper significance for the rest of the story; it's a nice cameo for a fun character at the least (and her seiyuu does some really entertaining line reading).

This episode is probably the closest yet, in content and style, to the first episode. It's just people going through their lives, everyone somewhat inconvenienced by the mad scenarios produced in Haruhi's brain, but also somewhat adapted to them; they are comfortable with each other and the roles they have to play. You could place this side-by-side with the student film episode and never think about taking espers or aliens or time travellers seriously, and Haruhi is just a bossy, crazy, optimistic girl. Strip away all the science fiction and metaphysical ponderings and the show still works; it works really well.
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
I'd love to hear some sort of confirmation on the episode count as well. I noticed on the official website linked earlier that the episode pages went in 3 episode blocks until the 28-36 block (and then it gets ridiculous after that). So if the series isn't 13-14 episodes, I would assume that it's 27 episodes long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9/14 was the show I fell in love with. I found the whole thing to be brilliantly executed, from the costuming changing scene to the reading scene (was the dialogue from a club in another room? The last bit of dialogue seemed a bit fuzzy sounding, and there was a radio sitting to the corner of the screen, but I don't know if there's any connection between the two). I think I like Haruhi more subdued and quiet like this. It's easily one of my favorite episodes, if not my favorite so far. The ending of the episode was deja vu for me (in a literal sense), but I can't place why or where it seems so familiar. I'm not even sure if it's anime I can relate it back to.
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Episode 9/14 was the show I fell in love with. I found the whole thing to be brilliantly executed, from the costuming changing scene to the reading scene (was the dialogue from a club in another room? The last bit of dialogue seemed a bit fuzzy sounding, and there was a radio sitting to the corner of the screen, but I don't know if there's any connection between the two). I think I like Haruhi more subdued and quiet like this. It's easily one of my favorite episodes, if not my favorite so far. The ending of the episode was deja vu for me (in a literal sense), but I can't place why or where it seems so familiar. I'm not even sure if it's anime I can relate it back to.

I think most of the dialogue is from the radio. At the beginning it's a bunch of pronunciation exercises, don't know what that's all about. By the end it's a spoof of or tribute to popular radio comedy skits.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The Sphinx wrote:

I think most of the dialogue is from the radio. At the beginning it's a bunch of pronunciation exercises, don't know what that's all about. By the end it's a spoof of or tribute to popular radio comedy skits.

Is that where the noise was coming from? I never saw the radio, so I thought it was some crazy drama club next door being loud or something. That makes a lot more sense now.

I know my husband and I had a nice, long discussion about the episode last night in bed, and what we thought it meant, etc. But i can't remember a single thing from it. I liked the gentle way it ended though. It really was nice to see Haruhi not being quite so overactive.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Hm, I guess the movie being made really is the last thing that happens in the series. Makes sense, as it kinda sums up everything that's happened in the series up to then in a implied metaphorical sense.

Wasn't the movie for the cultural fair? If so, it was stated that the cultural fair had happened prior to episode 14. This would mean episode 11 would be the start of the making of the movie, and 12 and 13 would be the cultural fair. Therefore, the movie would have been filmed and showed before episode 14, and after episode 10 -> during the cultural fair. Unless episode 14 is actually the last episode, which I doubt it is.

EDIT: woops, didn't see your edit.
EDIT2: I think the series pacing was dumbed down for the past 3 episodes, although the last one was much better. I hope things pick up again, because I was hoping a lot from this series Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
There weren't just three minutes of that, there were something like three and a half Laughing What's funny about it, is that I'm not the only one getting the feeling that this show is brilliant. I don't know if it's the animation, the camera angles, or most likely the writing and timing, but any episode that can have nearly every event that occurs summarized into one sentance and STILL be entertaining is quite a show.

What I also just noticed through sheer coincidence is that at the end of the episode, likely the last in my opinion, he complains about she doesn't even give a word of thanks, not exactly true Wink . During the preview for that episode (which is in episode 8 ) the very last she says is "otsukaresama ... Kyon". God I love this show.

Speaking of which, is anyone compiling a list of all the references this show makes? Not just the "trivia worthy" stuff, but all of the different references to everything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 213