• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
If there are four other members besides Haruhi herself in the SOS-dan, and three of these four members (Yuki, Itsuki, Mikuru) are aliens, espers, and time travellers (as "revealed" by the bad movie first episode),wouldn't that make spoiler[Kyon] the other-dimensional being?
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
If there are four other members besides Haruhi herself in the SOS-dan, and three of these four members (Yuki, Itsuki, Mikuru) are aliens, espers, and time travellers (as "revealed" by the bad movie first episode),wouldn't that make spoiler[Kyon] the other-dimensional being?

Hmmm... I'd nominate spoiler[Shamisen] for that role. After all, spoiler[mice] were the featured multi-dimensional beings in a certain absurd British SF tale penned by the late Mr. Adams. Okay, so what if there's no real connection here. It's just another one of those ideas my lateral thinking brain comes up with.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

I think Kyon is the actual human of the group. If you think about it, they're all unique, and Kyon being the only rational thinking human makes him unique to everyone else in the group.

Also, if Kyon was also different, then the story would be less relative to the viewers and I would rather have Kyon be human than an "other-dimensional being".
The Great Melinko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
^^i think i know what you might be thinking, and i have to say im thinking something along those lines as well...

bloody good show, at any rate. Good characters, story, humor, art, voices fit, colorful, even has genius openings and endings, love it Very Happy
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
Now I wanna read these books, too bad I don't know any Asian languages QQ.

I love this show so far, but after hearing about novels I'm kinda intrested in them as well. How much of the novels is this 13 episodes going to cover? If it's just like the first book, I'm guessing this is gonna be a series similar to Full Metal Panic. D:
The Great Melinko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:20 am Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:

I love this show so far, but after hearing about novels I'm kinda intrested in them as well. How much of the novels is this 13 episodes going to cover? If it's just like the first book, I'm guessing this is gonna be a series similar to Full Metal Panic. D:

why what didn't you like about FMP?
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Haruhi Suzumiya wrote:
and just to clarify spoiler[all of the three girls in the SOS brigde are not "normal" humans right? ]

At the beginning of high school, Haruhi makes her self-presentation by saying that normal humans don't interest her. She's specifically looking for "aliens, time travellers, other-dimensional beings, and espers". So far, spoiler[three of those four elements have been made clearly manifest in the SOS-dan]. Think about the fourth, missing, element, and an interesting insight may occur.

So, the question is: spoiler[were these three attracted by Haruhi's power; did Haruhi actively draw these beings to her using her power; or... did she create them?]

I have a slightly different theory, but it's so far out in left field that I'm hesitant to say it. Maybe later.

- abunai

I would speculate that spoiler[Haruhi is the best candidate for "other-dimensional being", otherwise it will probably be a chara we haven't met yet (or the cat!).]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
The Great Melinko wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

I think he means that it is similar in the fact that theres a whole long and vast series of novels and the anime only covers a tiny portion of it.

By the way, are the Haruhi novels light novels or just regular novels?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:

I read somewhere (I think in these forums) that it is expected to cover the first four novels, but I don't know how accurate that information is. The Boredom of Haruhi episode covers something from the third or fourth novel, I believe.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

Most novels adapted to/from anime, especially those published by Kadokawa Shoten, are considered light novels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Great Melinko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
The Great Melinko wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

I think he means that it is similar in the fact that theres a whole long and vast series of novels and the anime only covers a tiny portion of it.

O RLY? well that'd make sense....sorry im stupid. haha.

but today is a good day. Episode 5 is out. Now if i could just get me some damned DVD dates...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I read somewhere (I think in these forums) that it is expected to cover the first four novels, but I don't know how accurate that information is.

It seems to be pretty accurate, given the information we have about the disposition of episodes. I'd consider it reliable info.
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The Boredom of Haruhi episode covers something from the third or fourth novel, I believe.

The third volume in the series is titled The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi, and it's less a novel than an anthology of short stories tied together in a loose framework. The anthology takes its name from the title of the first of the short stories in the volume (there are four in total), and is more or less identical with the anime episode of the same name.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The Great Melinko wrote:
frentymon wrote:
The Great Melinko wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

O RLY? well that'd make sense....sorry im stupid. haha.

but today is a good day. Episode 5 is out. Now if i could just get me some damned DVD dates...

like he said, I was refering to how like FMP it's based on novels and has several different parts for differnet novels (FMP, Fummofu, TSR, all same storyline)

When you guys say this is a popular novel in japan, how popular btw? Would it be comparable to say, Harry Potter's fame in the U.S.?
The Great Melinko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd very much like to read these books...unfourtanetly i'd imagine the likleyhood of an english language release is next to nil? import site ideas? i could always have someone translate one if i imported it and then....read it Smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I think it has already been stated, but if you actually put forth some effort and look, there is a group that is working on translating the novels. I think they are up to about chapter 5 of the first novel at the moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 213