• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
So my question for the R2 owners, what did they do with the next episode previews at the end of each episode? Did they leave them in or take them out?

darkchibi07 wrote:
Oh, those episode previews! I heard they redid them with Yuki Nagato narrating them instead.

The TV previews were replaced by Yuki's version, while the TV versions (with Haruhi and Kyon) were placed in "extras."

darkchibi07 wrote:
I hope to GOD that whoever license this series will have the balls to convince the Japanese licensor to have them release them in the broadcast order.

If so, you would loss the opportunity to hear Yuki doing the preview. Wink Why not have both versions at a small price of disc switching?

The episode sequence is not chronological in later releases of R2 DVDs either (IIRC from the 3rd one).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

That wasn't by any chance made by the same people did that Cardcaptor Sakura and Rozen Maiden crossplay video, was it? Just wondering...
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
The TV previews were replaced by Yuki's version, while the TV versions (with Haruhi and Kyon) were placed in "extras."

Thanks for the info. If it does get licensed here I don't care how they release the episodes, but I hope they also include the original previews in some way, even as extras. And now that I think about it I would also like to see the remade previews with Yuki.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Why not have both versions at a small price of disc switching?
This is what I'd like to see.

Or they could release it twice. A nice duel release of the series with one release in broadcast order and one in chronological order.

They could even have different art for each version. It'd let them use more of the original Japanese art from the DVDs, right?

The broadcast version could be the Haruhi set, with menues and extras geared toward the craziness of Haruhi. The chronological version could be the Kyon set, with everything laid out logically with sensible extras.

Go ahead and EVA it!
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Why not have both versions at a small price of disc switching?
This is what I'd like to see.

Or they could release it twice. A nice duel release of the series with one release in broadcast order and one in chronological order.

They could even have different art for each version. It'd let them use more of the original Japanese art from the DVDs, right?

The broadcast version could be the Haruhi set, with menues and extras geared toward the craziness of Haruhi. The chronological version could be the Kyon set, with everything laid out logically with sensible extras.

Go ahead and EVA it!

Woah shizznit... and it all falls into place mentally Shocked

I had wondered why on earth they would release a chronological order set... Exclamation duh, to make more money by selling the preferred set by most fans again later to try and get them to buy both! Shocked Shocked That's diabolical... good call Richard J.!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote
*is also interested in hearing the Yuki previews*

One alternate idea is to use dual-sided discs, similar to what Pioneer did with the now-discontinued Sherlock Hound to accomodate the different episode lengths in the English vs. the Japanese audio. So, let's say they do a 4-disc release: (numbers are broadcast/Haruhi order)

Vol. 1
Side A: 1,2,3,4
Side B: 2,3,5,10

Vol. 2
Side A: 5,6,7
Side B: 13,14,4

Vol. 3
Side A: 8,9,10
Side B: 7,6,8

Vol. 4
Side A: 11,12,13,14
Side B: 1,12,11,9

You'd still have to buy all the discs to get all the episodes, and they could easily distribute extras across both sides to fit everything in. That would make the release uber-cool.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:22 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
*is also interested in hearing the Yuki previews*

One alternate idea is to use dual-sided discs, similar to what Pioneer did with the now-discontinued Sherlock Hound to accomodate the different episode lengths in the English vs. the Japanese audio. So, let's say they do a 4-disc release: (numbers are broadcast/Haruhi order)

I just know people would watch all of the episodes on each disc if they released it like that... even if they were out of order. It's not really wanting to have the option to watch them in that order... it's wanting for whoever's new to the series to watch them in that order, since I feel the anime has a greater effect if you view them in the broadcast order.

Of course, this may also be because that was the order I first watched it in... But after watching it chronologically, it just didn't seem nearly as interesting to me. It was still good, but I just felt it was missing that extra touch...

Quote:
You'd still have to buy all the discs to get all the episodes

No, you'd be able to skip Vol. 2 and still have all the episodes if they released it like that.

I am still strongly for releasing it in the broadcast order (even if the Yuki previews were left out, I would still prefer it). Richard J.'s idea also seems like a good one to me.
Fixen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Hey all.

I apologize if this has been discussed already (because I can't search this 74-page thread), but I have word from an insider (www.moonphase.cc) that there will be a second season of Haruhi Suzumiya due Fall 2007 at the earliest, accompanying Zero no Tsukaima.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/200611 wrote:
>ハルヒ第二期がどんどん遠ざかっていくなあ・・・orz

ハルヒ第二期は、再来年予定だったのが、スケジュール前倒しになって、来年秋で確定だそうですよ。ちなみに、ゼロの使い魔第二期も来年秋スタートで調整中らしい。

There has been no official confirmation whatsoever for either series, but this insider has been known to track dozens of series before they even reach the press, so I'll give it 80% trust (significantly higher than that trailer fluke, right?).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Fixen wrote:
There has been no official confirmation whatsoever for either series, but this insider has been known to track dozens of series before they even reach the press, so I'll give it 80% trust (significantly higher than that trailer fluke, right?).

Moon Phase is one of the most important, if not THE most important, websites to spot new anime projects. The one you quoted is its blog; another page contains gigantic tables with proposed schedules up to 2008. Some of them may not be materialized, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fixen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Moon Phase is one of the most important, if not THE most important, websites to spot new anime projects. The one you quoted is its blog; another page contains gigantic tables with proposed schedules up to 2008. Some of them may not be materialized, though.

Yep! I love that site. I hope there's more than one person maintaining it, because the amount of material reported there is staggering.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
Okay, I made my sister watch the first four eps so far, and we were both laughing. She likes especially Mikuru, who seems to be one who can't really so no to anything. She does want to know however (I'm sure this has been asked), why spoiler[Haruhi cut her hair in ep 2,] which I wasn't really able to explain to her because I'm somewhat stopped on that myself.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
She does want to know however (I'm sure this has been asked), why spoiler[Haruhi cut her hair in ep 2,] which I wasn't really able to explain to her because I'm somewhat stopped on that myself.

I think spoiler[Kyon said to Haruhi in Episode 2 (air order) that he thought Haruhi would look better with short hair, and then Haruhi shows up to school the next day with her hair cut short. This type of "Kyon slips in a comment, Haruhi reacts" routine will happen a lot more in the series, and is speculated to mean something...]

Not completely sure on this though, as I don't remember the series too well. To tell the truth, I've not watched anymore Haruhi at all after following the series and then rewatching it once in the chronological order back in...July?
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
She does want to know however (I'm sure this has been asked), why spoiler[Haruhi cut her hair in ep 2,] which I wasn't really able to explain to her because I'm somewhat stopped on that myself.

I think spoiler[Kyon said to Haruhi in Episode 2 (air order) that he thought Haruhi would look better with short hair, and then Haruhi shows up to school the next day with her hair cut short. This type of "Kyon slips in a comment, Haruhi reacts" routine will happen a lot more in the series, and is speculated to mean something...]

I think that might be it, but I thought it was more of the fact that spoiler[now that someone found out her purpose in changing her hair every day to avoid getting recognized by the aliens (that was her intent in changing her hair, right? I watched the series in August, so I don't really remember), it would no longer work. ]

But, your explanation is a little more abstract and seems to make more sense.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
I always assumed thatspoiler[ she liked Kyon from the time he talked to her since no one in the class room would igknowledge her existence. She wouldn't admit it though but she liked him which was obvious from that point foward, which is why she did alot of things he asked her to do...like frentymon said "Kyon slips in a comment, Haruhi reacts" happens alot.]
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
I always assumed thatspoiler[like frentymon said "Kyon slips in a comment, Haruhi reacts" happens alot.]
It can be interpreted as Kyonism as opposed to Haruhiism (and why am I making up random non-existent terminology as if that would explain anything? Confused ), but I myself prefer to agree with you that Haruhi probably spoiler[just likes him. The ending (broadcast order) with her ponytail would demonstrate that; and her jealous reactions at poor Mikuru Razz]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 74 of 213