• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
well reading back a page or two, everyone who posts has seen all of the avaliable episodes (4) whereas you have only seen one. And from the reasons you didn't like it, i gotta say i just think the shows the wrong genre for you; if you liked Azumanga, Excel Saga,and other such titles, then this show's gonna be your best friend. if not, dont bother you WILL not like it.

either way i dont care if you like it or not really; doesnt affect me, such as my opinion doesnt effect you. Very Happy

[EDIT: Please do not excessively quote. Thanks. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Well having watched episode 4, as much as I enjoyed it I was certainly left confused. I tried going back through episodes 2 and 3 and I couldn't figure out exactly when Itsuki joined. He just sort of showed up. Coupled with the discussion of spoiler[the other world and the slight mystery in the show] I thought I had missed something. The idea that everything is out of order is both quite creative and does help explain things. In any case the show hasn't lost it's steam at all. Each episode is a pure joy to watch and each time both the opening and ending themes get more addicting. I'm glad this show is getting as popular as it is, although even though it seems inevitable I really don't want this show to spawn followers of Haruhi-ism (i.e. fangirls imitating Haruhi's personality...I've seen it done with other anime characters).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Just finished episode 4, and MAN I love that show. No matter that it's only 4 episodes, I have no hesitation to rate it "Masterpiece". They'd have to screw up really badly in later episodes to make it drop below that.

Anthony P wrote:
Yeah, those hastily-introduced metaphysical elements in ep. 4 certainly threw me for a loop; not so much because of what they alluded to, but because they came out of nowhere. I don't know how the series compares to the novels thus far, but ep. 4 gives me the impression that the series' producers skimmed past some of the material from the novels.

Hastily introduced? Did you miss the previous 3 episodes? Maybe all the laughing made you miss the clues. Wink It's a hilarious show, but what *really* got me hooked was all the foreshadowing in earlier episodes. Sure the stuff in ep 4 has references to unseen episodes, but it didn't just come out of the blue. The first episode had a bunch of hints:
- Mikuru's blue-eyed "miracle beam" fritzes the camera
- talking cat
- blue aura/energy shield that protects Itsuki in the finale
- (I get the feeling I'm forgetting some)
Also in episodes 2 and 3, Mikuru shows hints that she has special reasons for joining the SOS brigade. Not to mention Yuki declaring she's an alien. I love the metaphysical elements in ep. 4 precisely because they were foreshadowed so thoroughly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Well having watched episode 4, as much as I enjoyed it I was certainly left confused. I tried going back through episodes 2 and 3 and I couldn't figure out exactly when Itsuki joined. He just sort of showed up. Coupled with the discussion of spoiler[the other world and the slight mystery in the show] I thought I had missed something. The idea that everything is out of order is both quite creative and does help explain things. In any case the show hasn't lost it's steam at all. Each episode is a pure joy to watch and each time both the opening and ending themes get more addicting. I'm glad this show is getting as popular as it is, although even though it seems inevitable I really don't want this show to spawn followers of Haruhi-ism (i.e. fangirls imitating Haruhi's personality...I've seen it done with other anime characters).

whats your favorite part of the show? I love the part in episode two when spoiler[Haruhi slams his head down into the desk, and starts yelling, and you find out it's the middle of a class. Or when she first drags whatserlongname in there, and she's grabbing her boobs and the loliti refrences...]

god i love this show Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
To be honest there are too many moments in the show that I enjoyed, and being only 4 episodes in I'm sure there will be many more to come. Although some highlights as you mentioned are spoiler[Haruhi's exploiting of Asahina, her blackmailing of the science club, and I actually liked the scene about Haruhi's hair.] But those are just a few out of many. If you wanna keep talking about it one on one feel free to PM me.
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
To be honest there are too many moments in the show that I enjoyed, and being only 4 episodes in I'm sure there will be many more to come. Although some highlights as you mentioned are spoiler[Haruhi's exploiting of Asahina, her blackmailing of the science club, and I actually liked the scene about Haruhi's hair.] But those are just a few out of many. If you wanna keep talking about it one on one feel free to PM me.

nah i was just making some crazy conversation Razz but yeah i forgot the hair thing, that was quite funny Smile
Anthony P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Just finished episode 4, and MAN I love that show. No matter that it's only 4 episodes, I have no hesitation to rate it "Masterpiece". They'd have to screw up really badly in later episodes to make it drop below that.

It is possible they could screw it up pretty bad, though. It's slated to run thirteen episodes, and hopefully the series' producers won't try to fit an excess of material from the novels into those episodes, as that would likely prove to be disastrous. And with this series shifting gears constantly like it has, it seems to me like it could easily cave in on itself if it keeps up this pace. Which I think makes this show all the more fun, but still, it could go downhill easily.

Quote:
Anthony P wrote:
Yeah, those hastily-introduced metaphysical elements in ep. 4 certainly threw me for a loop; not so much because of what they alluded to, but because they came out of nowhere. I don't know how the series compares to the novels thus far, but ep. 4 gives me the impression that the series' producers skimmed past some of the material from the novels.

Hastily introduced? Did you miss the previous 3 episodes? Maybe all the laughing made you miss the clues. Wink It's a hilarious show, but what *really* got me hooked was all the foreshadowing in earlier episodes. Sure the stuff in ep 4 has references to unseen episodes, but it didn't just come out of the blue. The first episode had a bunch of hints:
- Mikuru's blue-eyed "miracle beam" fritzes the camera
- talking cat
- blue aura/energy shield that protects Itsuki in the finale
- (I get the feeling I'm forgetting some)
Also in episodes 2 and 3, Mikuru shows hints that she has special reasons for joining the SOS brigade. Not to mention Yuki declaring she's an alien. I love the metaphysical elements in ep. 4 precisely because they were foreshadowed so thoroughly.

Well, up until ep. 4, those metaphysical elements were simply jokes. All those portions of ep. 1 you mentioned were clearly part of an amateur film, and not scenarios taking place in the series' characters' lives; and while I could have taken it for foreshadowing of the series' future content, it seemed to me to simply be hilariously bad movie made by silly high-school kids, nothing more. I had a similar impression of ep. 2 and 3; while there was constant talk of aliens and espers and whatnot, it was presented in such a nonchalant and deadpan manner that I simply thought it was just for laughs. Maybe I'm just slow, but I still think the series' producers were attempting to give the impression that all the talk of aliens and espers was just sillines up until ep. 4. And then, the wierd stuff actually starts happening.
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
^^that has been my one and only fear for where the show is headed; that now that it's kinda getting to where weird stuff happens, i fear it might losen off of it's currently great wackiness and comedy elemsnts. that would be so freaking sad, as this is the best show i have seen in a while...
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
After seeing all the hype here, and this series popping up in the top 10 anime list (still confused how this happened for a series with 4 episodes so far?), I decided to see what it was all about...

and after watching the first episode, I must say I'm really disappointed, have no clue what you need to smoke to enjoy that, but didn't find it funny at all and found the whole thing painful to sit through. From what it seems that the series doesn't really start until episode 2, so I'll most likely continue for another episode or two and give you guys the benefit of doubt, but so far I'm not impressed at all.

I agree with you about being disappointed from the first episode. I didn't get what everyone thought was so great about the first episode. But I decided to go ahead and watch the second episode anyway. As my post on a previous page in this thread says, I retracted every judgement that I made about the show in the first episode. I urge you to continue watching.
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, up until ep. 4, those metaphysical elements were simply jokes. All those portions of ep. 1 you mentioned were clearly part of an amateur film, and not scenarios taking place in the series' characters' lives;

Um, no. All of those portions that he mentioned were very clearly not intended to be part of their film. They did not intend for Mikuru to actually shoot a beam that messed up the camera. They did not intend for the cat to suddenly start talking. Don't believe us? Just look at the characters' reactions after they happen. Also compare the quality with the really bad special effects they actually used. They were not special effects: the cat actually talked, Mikuru actually did some sort of magic that messed up the camera and made Yuki really mad at her.

Personally, I think this series is going to continue to be great, partially because they understand how to foreshadow. Yeah, there's going to be weird stuff, but they're warning us beforehand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Quote:

Well, up until ep. 4, those metaphysical elements were simply jokes. All those portions of ep. 1 you mentioned were clearly part of an amateur film, and not scenarios taking place in the series' characters' lives;

Um, no. All of those portions that he mentioned were very clearly not intended to be part of their film. They did not intend for Mikuru to actually shoot a beam that messed up the camera. They did not intend for the cat to suddenly start talking. Don't believe us? Just look at the characters' reactions after they happen. Also compare the quality with the really bad special effects they actually used. They were not special effects: the cat actually talked, Mikuru actually did some sort of magic that messed up the camera and made Yuki really mad at her.

Personally, I think this series is going to continue to be great, partially because they understand how to foreshadow. Yeah, there's going to be weird stuff, but they're warning us beforehand.

uuhh...i think the person you quoted meant the exact same thing, and just didn't word it right...

at any rate, i see the series getting better, mostly because it knows just how to go. What i mean is this: upon rewatching (again Razz) i have noticed that the show mixes some of the BEST humor around really, with certian instances that could lead up to a real, connected story; the one thing shows like Excel Saga lack that make me kind of annoyed; with a centeral story, and basically taking from all other comedies we have seen so far and improving them, i think we have a seriously amazing show on our hands Smile

now for the new question: who do you hink is going to pick this up?

my hope is for ADV, because i love ADV; great service, they really do some great dubs, and they are just generally reliable. Funimation could work too, look at what a stellar job they did with the FMA anime!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
patch wrote:
After seeing all the hype here, and this series popping up in the top 10 anime list (still confused how this happened for a series with 4 episodes so far?), I decided to see what it was all about...

and after watching the first episode, I must say I'm really disappointed, have no clue what you need to smoke to enjoy that, but didn't find it funny at all and found the whole thing painful to sit through. From what it seems that the series doesn't really start until episode 2, so I'll most likely continue for another episode or two and give you guys the benefit of doubt, but so far I'm not impressed at all.

I agree with you about being disappointed from the first episode. I didn't get what everyone thought was so great about the first episode. But I decided to go ahead and watch the second episode anyway. As my post on a previous page in this thread says, I retracted every judgement that I made about the show in the first episode. I urge you to continue watching.

Hmm, Same thing with my friend. He hated the first episode but loved the second episode. Personally I loved the first episode and thought the second episode was good but didn't measure up to the first episode. Those seem to be the two opinions.

Dang, I really should have watched the forth episode by now but I've been caught up in this extemely addicting dating sim as of recently and haven't done anything else. Having given more hours at work because of the recent quiting (actually they were fired) of three people within the last week hasn't helped either.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Quote:

Yes, you're right, that cat talking really should have tipped me off. And yes, I realized all of this after viewing ep.4, I was just giving an account of my impression of ep. 1 upon first viewing it.
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:12 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
one3rd wrote:
patch wrote:

Hmm, Same thing with my friend. He hated the first episode but loved the second episode. Personally I loved the first episode and thought the second episode was good but didn't measure up to the first episode. Those seem to be the two opinions.

Dang, I really should have watched the forth episode by now but I've been caught up in this extemely addicting dating sim as of recently and haven't done anything else. Having given more hours at work because of the recent quiting (actually they were fired) of three people within the last week hasn't helped either.

Personally, i found the fourth very confusing until i watcher id over a few times, so i'd wait till yu have some morefree time on your hands.

and i think, it would make sense that peple that have seen alot of anime that fall into the magical-high-school-girl-saves-world genre, since it's basically a 30 minuite parody of the genre.

however im told the 0th is the release date for the fifth episode; i'd much prefer this on DVD....when? encyclopedia (i believe it's like 7am so im tired dont quote me on this) says nothing...not even when the sixth one will come out..

and just to clarify spoiler[all of the three girls in the SOS brigde are not "normal" humans right? ]

or am i misreading things?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
Haruhi Suzumiya wrote:
and just to clarify spoiler[all of the three girls in the SOS brigde are not "normal" humans right? ]

At the beginning of high school, Haruhi makes her self-presentation by saying that normal humans don't interest her. She's specifically looking for "aliens, time travellers, other-dimensional beings, and espers". So far, spoiler[three of those four elements have been made clearly manifest in the SOS-dan]. Think about the fourth, missing, element, and an interesting insight may occur.

So, the question is: spoiler[were these three attracted by Haruhi's power; did Haruhi actively draw these beings to her using her power; or... did she create them?]

I have a slightly different theory, but it's so far out in left field that I'm hesitant to say it. Maybe later.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 213