• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids script writer on edits, new Gonzo co-production

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rigor Mortis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Rigor Mortis wrote:
But I must respectfully disagree about Hellsing and Burst Angel being bad shows. I enjoyed them immensely, in fact you're only the second person I've ever heard say Hellsing TV was a bad show.

You haven't been on very many anime forums, have you? People who thought the TV series was good are few and far between.

Actually, I have. I even moderate at one. And I first watched the series because so many people there were saying it was good. Confused

To answer the other inevitable questions: Yes, I have read the manga. Yes, I am a serious fan - my list of titles watched numbers in the several hundreds. Yes, I thought the 1st half was better.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
DELETED. What a stupid message I wrote here.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Ya might wanna look at Kyle Pope article with Cartoon Network. For all we know, Fox might be extremely secretive with thier BS&P and keeps 4Kids in a constant loop about what is proper, and what is forbodden.

"It's fun to play in a non-violent way, with the B, S and P."
That interview is at least 4 years old now.

Still, it is a good article explaning the BS&P of another network, and it might also explain why this 4Kids guy is trying to pin the blame on BS&P than their own incompetance.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

I haven't seen Hellsing, but I still want to. I'm not ready to condemn it because its different than the manga. Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist are different from their mangas as well, and are also my two favorite series.

People don't condemn Hellsing for being different from the manga (usually). We condemn it for being utter crappola in the second half.

Quote:
HitokiriShadow, why couldn't they change their votes? I change my votes all of the time. It's easy.

I assumed that the vote was final like votes usually are. This is the first time I've heard of being able to change your vote. I've never rated any series on this site. I think I'll change that.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
It's an interesting read, but I wish the interviewer was a little more professional in preparing his questions. Perhaps it would've illicited better responses, perhaps not, but the interviewee should be allowed to set the tone, and obviously Haigney's was business.

Some examples include:
- (At least stop calling riceballs "doughnuts", a throwback from the early days of the Pokemon series.)
- guns (you all remember Keith "threatening" Pegasus with his finger in Season 1 of Yu-Gi-Oh don't you)
- Really… maybe the Japanese episode writer had a… (eh)… “bad experience” with a dentist… (blinks)…

And while his questions were good, being that he's one of the rare fans to snag an interview with a 4kids exec, maybe he could've open a suggestion box so other people could send some more questions to ask? Felt some good questions were missing, and by opening it up, he would've gotten a wider range of questions from followers of other 4kid shows, not just Sonic X and Yu-Gi-Oh.

Anyway, just suggestions for the future. :)
hanachan01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
How funny...this started off as a thread about 4kids, and became a Hellsing forum as well....

Anyway, about 4kids(you know, what this thread is supposed to be about!)- Are they really introducing kids to anime? I haven't met any little American kid who now loves anime from watching Yu-Gi-Oh or Sonic X(not referring to the kids whose parents are anime freaks). I have met anime freaks who became that way from watching DBZ and Sailor Moon. And those both eventually came out uncut. Has Yu-Gi-Oh? Has Pokemon? NO.

To me, anime is Japanese animation. Note that it is JAPANESE animation. Taking the Japanese out of the shows they liscense is what 4kids does, henceforth making it just 'animation', with no 'Japanese.' What 4kids does is take the Japanese out of anime, henceforth making their versions not even anime anymore.
Wait, didn't Al Khan say something like that?
Quote:
4Kids CEO Al Kahn stated, "By the time we localize the programs kids don’t even know they’re from Japan any more"....

...Kahn stated that he felt that labels such as "Anime" are for adults and mean nothing to children.

*The article I'm reffering to is right here.

I think if 4kids wants a show to be a certain way, they should make their own shows, not butcher someone elses!
Byromaru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:29 am Reply with quote
Urashima Otaru wrote:
one3rd wrote:
Just as much as 4Kids might seem to be out of touch with the hardcore anime community, the hardcore anime community is out of touch with 4Kids. 4Kids does not target the hardcore community. Much like their name suggests, 4Kids aims to adapt anime for kids. Kids aren't going to care about a 100% faithful translation, original background music, or Japanese cultural references. As long as they're entertained for half an hour, they won't care about what went into it. It's long past time that the community should have realized this and quit whining and complaining about it.

A few things: 1 Yeah 4kids targets kids I have no problems with that for the TV ver, but there should be an Uncut dvd release for their shows. 2 There really is no reason to change the music. 3 Is it really whining when you like a series but the only release of it in the US is a heavily edited (one could say butchered) ver pf it and due to the acts of a company (that seems to be in it only for the money) you may never be able to buy a legitamit copy that has subtitles and is uncut. Take One Piece for example it is really bad (and really what was the point in changing Marines to Navy.)

It's not that big of a deal, 4kids doesn't care about Anime fans, they're just making an honest buck, and you can forget about uncut DVD's especially of One Piece, because there's no real profit in it for them, why because the fansubbers. I'm not anti-fansubs by any means, but since they're not making money off of us older, dedicated, purist fans anyway, what reason do they have to cater to us. The younger kids who are impressionable are their top priority, hence the name 4kids!
Anyway until 4kids sees fansubbers a threat, I say let'em buy whatever series the want.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:07 am Reply with quote
I think I should interject that while 4Kids Entertainment isn't exactly a model pioneer for the future of Japanese animation, we should really point out Western dispositions toward animation as the largest problem for fans.

Children grow up watching cartoons. By Western standards, at some point, they should consider cartoons "immature" and start watching live-action material. Either that, or adult-themed cartoon comedies that almost lampoon the animation industry in the mere production quality (South Park).

However, modern live-action television is rotten, and with the aid of the internet, people have aid to cartoons (Anime) that are not specifically oriented for children; basically, as the kids who grew up with cartoons become adults, the cartoons grow up with them. Isn't that what happened to Kinnikuman? Last I heard, the lastest serial of that manga are now in the Japanese equivalent of Playboy.

Because of these trends, expect a reversal of the 1960's and 1970's "cartoons for kids" revolution, and a movement back toward the "general audience" feel of shows like Merry Melodies and Silly Symphonies. Heck, we might even go as far as to have a serious influx of adult Anime someday.

But as for One Piece...it's pretty much dead in America. Seriously, for the comic that brought Shounen Jump out of its "dark age", with over a billion dollars in sales and a fanatic fanbase across the globe, its performance in America is beyond pitiful. It's a reengineered series; uncut DVDs are out of the question because that would imply a redub of the series, which involves a change of scripts, re-recording of the voice actors, a huge debate over whether the synthetic soundtrack gets left in the uncuts...bah! Even if we were given subtitled OP DVDs, most of the fansub groups out there put "professional" subs to shame.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
If, as rumor has it, the next season of One Piece becomes Cartoon Network exclusive, then 4Kids will be able to tone down their edits considerably because CN is much more permissive than Fox is. They allow blood, death, realistic guns, even stuff like the Sexy No Jutsu. And One Piece generally has less graphic violence than Naruto. Nothing will be stopping 4Kids from airing the show mostly unedited except 4Kids.

Don't forget they'll be able to cut back on the ridiculous amount of time cuts.

Of course, even a visually unaltered One Piece would still blow if it was handled by the staff doing it now. For it not to, the voice directors and scriptwriters would have to stop sucking at every aspect of their jobs. The same go for the music editors, of which there are a dozen and feel they need to pollute every scene with completely over-the-top and generally unfitting music, not benefitted by the general lack of quality overall. On top of that, the rap OP would have to be severely shortened or replaced entirely by something that doesn't make me puke.
potassium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I think I should interject that while 4Kids Entertainment isn't exactly a model pioneer for the future of Japanese animation, we should really point out Western dispositions toward animation as the largest problem for fans.

Children grow up watching cartoons. By Western standards, at some point, they should consider cartoons "immature" and start watching live-action material. Either that, or adult-themed cartoon comedies that almost lampoon the animation industry in the mere production quality (South Park).

However, modern live-action television is rotten, and with the aid of the internet, people have aid to cartoons (Anime) that are not specifically oriented for children; basically, as the kids who grew up with cartoons become adults, the cartoons grow up with them. Isn't that what happened to Kinnikuman? Last I heard, the lastest serial of that manga are now in the Japanese equivalent of Playboy.

Because of these trends, expect a reversal of the 1960's and 1970's "cartoons for kids" revolution, and a movement back toward the "general audience" feel of shows like Merry Melodies and Silly Symphonies. Heck, we might even go as far as to have a serious influx of adult Anime someday.

But as for One Piece...it's pretty much dead in America. Seriously, for the comic that brought Shounen Jump out of its "dark age", with over a billion dollars in sales and a fanatic fanbase across the globe, its performance in America is beyond pitiful. It's a reengineered series; uncut DVDs are out of the question because that would imply a redub of the series, which involves a change of scripts, re-recording of the voice actors, a huge debate over whether the synthetic soundtrack gets left in the uncuts...bah! Even if we were given subtitled OP DVDs, most of the fansub groups out there put "professional" subs to shame.

you're right. what's sad is, you're absolutely right. one piece has little to no chances of success in america, ever.

and who's to blame?
bebop26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
The guy, Michael Haigney, really doesn't seem to care about his job or anime much at all. Did he bother listing at least three of his personal favorite manga or anime? He didn't bother listing ONE!

Censorship on the shows? Ask Fox about those? Your such a well informed employee, Mr. Haigney. To be honest, censorship is the least of my concerns, as long as the edits are not ridiculous and severely pointless, and they are consistent, Unedited DVDs are expected. Keeping in the Japanese BGM, and having a faithful, accurate translation of the Japanese script is far more important to stay true to the original Japanese animation. I could care less if Zoro wasn't bleeding his guts out, but hearing Zoro "buck" like a chicken makes me shake my head in disgust.

Nice interview though. This "Chaotic" show sounds interesting, to say the least. I'll have to watch it and see how much 4Kids embarrasses themselves.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:26 am Reply with quote
bebop26 wrote:
The guy, Michael Haigney, really doesn't seem to care about his job or anime much at all. Did he bother listing at least three of his personal favorite manga or anime? He didn't bother listing ONE!

If it pays the bills, does he give a ****?
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I think Mike needs a little defending here. He brought up a good point about audience sensitivity. I think it's parent sensitivity that's the problem . . you have to admit America has some of the most sensitive parents around. I thought Harry Potter would've fixed this, but apparently not.

Now it was surprising that Mike doesn't have a favorite anime/manga list, but then again, I think 4Kids was around before Pokemon. Perhaps he was just brought on board as a parent and businessman who understood these sensitivities. If you were 4Kids, who would you rather hire, a guy like Mike or a big anime fan like me/you that would constantly clash with the network and nothing would ever be produced?

My main problem is the DVDs . . at least put the Japanese track on there. Mike says that they do get original script translations, so it's just a matter of timing the subs. Though I guess he also alludes to extra fees to use original voices/music. Still, in Japan almost ALL their foreign DVDs come with the original track with subs, even when Japanese DVD production is not that great, so I just don't think it's that hard a thing to do in a country of DVD professionals. At least put widescreen on the movies already, even direct-to-video Winnie the Pooh gets that luxury.
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
4kis cant put japanase aduio and subs on DVD sicne they desamte the show to dub it ,in other words all the money they are makeing from quick editing the shows will be lost becuse they'd have to edit the japanase side to fit it......
basicly they cant put the japase side on becuse it ruins thier bissness model 0-o

grab a show
quicky dub
gather money
dump show
get another show
quicky dub
gather money
dump show
grab a teen show
quicky dub dumb down
lose money...pause..think...
grab a show
quick dub
make money
lose money from PG13 to G converion on other show
qurey to as why this bissness manvure is failing
lose Mew mew power becuse of stupidty
grab a new cute power girl show
dumbing status unknowen.....
loss of moeny unknowen...
rateings failing unknowen...
4kids goes bankrupt....whishfulthinking
(do I want 4 kids to fail yes if they kept with this mindles run and dub tatic them and disney refuse to see the money they could be makeing if they did shows justice so I will refuse to buy thier BS crap and go full Import,Fansub or right off Japanase TV)

justice:a basic sign justice to a show would be like the UNCUT Shaman King DVDs,altho far from uncut they are a world from the crapy dub only BS they are doing....

*when I say quick edit I mean they go thru and remove everythign they can that might get a sockermon to call in and bitch at them,they remove so many unnoticable thigns one wodners WTF is going on.*
----------------------------------
Out of all the dubed shows I have watched a few I like enough to spend moeny on even if its only in the crapy dub

Mon cole knights:no DVD/not found
FIghting Foodons:no DVD/not found
Pizza cats:no DVD/not found (damn you disney)
Meda bots:ADV/nerveland its 4-6 eps a DVD I have DVD 1 around here somewhere *L* its pretty neat its not a import I have checked and checked and checked becuse most domectics dont have more than 4 eps a DVD but then this is not quite a normal domestic release,need to get the other 8 or 10 dvds its a 42ish ep sereis *L*

I have thought about gettign the digimon dvds but after doign some reasrech it seem the UK releases of the moives have more content (OMG subs),out of the 4 seasons that have been out on dvd in japan for acouple years the US hasn't even made it to season 2 yet so there is lil to no reason to buy them sicne they wont put them out.
------------
Hellsing TV
Saw it liked it not the greatest not the worest and this is from a anime fan that dosnet like bloody/gorey/mindless anime.
Trinty blood is ok to,about a notch or 2 below trigun.
---------------
Anime is kinda like the game and comic movies in the US altho at least the anime producers have some intregity where as the hollywood pulls a 4kids and remakes it so that everyone(including themselfs) can udnerstand it and winds up creatign a shallow mess no one can stand 0-o
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
4Kids dubs are not "quick", nor cheap (though they are sloppy). We had advertisements for "season two" of One Piece back in August, but the series was put on hiatus in November and has yet to return to 4Kids TV. There is strong reason to suspect that 4Kids utilized the downtime for redubbing segments of the series for acceptability on Toonami (though current episodes fail to illustrate this); I obtained a clip of Mr.2/Bon Clay in late December/early January that featured a segment that was not brought in to Bon Clay's introduction two weeks ago. Rather than not bring in this segment, the actual dialogue was changed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5