• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
4Kids sez: manga sux0rz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Zalis has a point. Video games (some at least, like RPGs) can teach reading and the internet definitely involves reading.

Just because it's electronic doesn't mean there isn't reading involved.
milcor1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
I feel it's ironic that he talks about a society heading into an age where technology encompasses every aspect of people's lives, but vitally important things such as reading are going to slowly disappear? That's depressing. Reading is the gateway to a world of imagination, something television destroys.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Zalis has a point. Video games (some at least, like RPGs) can teach reading and the internet definitely involves reading.

Yeah, I brought that up in some AIM convos I had about this. I mean like, Pokemon for example. It's simpler than, say, Final Fantasy, but it still heavily relies on the player having good reading skills. Or the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG (or whatever them crazy kids play these days), which requires reading for effect monsters and the Spell and Trap cards.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Yeah, I brought that up in some AIM convos I had about this. I mean like, Pokemon for example. It's simpler than, say, Final Fantasy, but it still heavily relies on the player having good reading skills. Or the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG (or whatever them crazy kids play these days), which requires reading for effect monsters and the Spell and Trap cards.

Not that I entirely disagree with how incompotent Al Kahn is, but you have to realise that there is a difference between reading for communications sake, and reading in regards to literature.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
Al Kahn wrote:
I think manga is a problem. It's a problem because we're in a culture that is not a reading culture. The kids today don't read. They read less today. Every survey they're watching more television, they're on the internet more. And that content, although being keen, is very disposable because the way content gets put out now, it's gonna be put out free. More and more content will be available for free. You go to internet, you'll be able to download. We're streaming most of our shows. The reason why we're streaming them is we want kids to watch them as much as they can so they get vested in the concept and go out and buy products. The products ain't free. The content is gonna be free. And manga, in my mind, is trying to put a square peg into a round hole in the United States. It will never be a big deal here for kids that are into the computer or the internet generation. So they're not gonna read, they haven't read, it's not gonna start now.

Hmmm, Kahn did say something true. People do read less today... kind of. 50 years ago, TVs wasn't everywhere, so reading was more then a hobby, something more then just entertainment. However, like HitokiriShadow said, Harry Potter has turned alot of kids on to reading. However, as whole still, kids much rather watch movies then read the books.

Video games so or later will have less text of more voice. Kingdom Hearts 2 has close to twice the dialog of Kingdom Hearts 2. In the next few years, the only text you might see is the form of just the menu screen, captions and titles.

Need the less, US has reading problem might not get any better, now and years down the road.

He's idea of free content is, as Penn of Penn and Teller say, bulls$@#. I have yet to see a free lunch and I bet diamonds to doughnuts, we never will. The content over the internet will not be free because you'll have pay the ISP and electric company for service. And chances are, if the IP TV thing takes off, you'll have to pay to use it as well. As for 4Kids prodects, they haven't but anything out that is worth buying. Yeah, I might be alittle too old for card games, figures, and programming, but even if I was a kid, I won't go after goofy looking junk. If he all this content is for free, he needs to work on first, to make it worth my time (Oh yeah, that's sure in the heck not free.) to bother to look at. But look at his point of view. If more kids are reading One Piece instead of watching it, that less money he has. So, if your really want to piss him off, pick up a manga.

EDITS: Touch ups.

Last edited by Ataru on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:48 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Not that I entirely disagree with how incompotent Al Kahn is, but you have to realise that there is a difference between reading for communications sake, and reading in regards to literature.

Exactly. And I might as well add "entertainment" to "communications" because I don't think manga is in any way a "good way" to get kids "reading". By "reading", I mean literary works that are praiseworthy. Most kids (even adults for that matter) will never fully comprehend the works of, for example, Shakespeare. And manga is supposed to get kids "started" to their way to works of people such as Shakespeare? That's an excuse. So while I agree that Al Kahn is ignorant in saying "manga is a problem", I also think trying to counter that statement by saying "manga will help kids start reading" is equally ignorant as well.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
What does it say about 4Kids when they send out a spokesperson to represent the company and he comes up with these kind of comments? What does this mean for their future? These comments seem to represent a misunderstanding of their customers, and a gross underestimation of English speaking young people in general.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Harry Potter became very popular and the movies where a result of the books' popularity not vice versa.

Clearly, kids will read if you give them something interesting enough to occupy their attention. As manga becomes more available to English speakers, it seems reasonable to believe it may be able to meet some of this demand. For someone from a company which produces entertainment for this market segment to demonstrate such a clear misunderstanding of his customers makes me wonder about the future of 4Kids. Usually, when a company starts to lose touch with its customers it does not bode well for them.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:45 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
He noted that many people in the U.S. walk around with MP3 players or other electronic devices, whereas in Japan, everyone on the subway seems to have a "3,000-page manga."

Aren't trains the main source of public transportation in japan though? If you're going to be sitting down for a while then it makes sense to be reading. If you're walking, then trying to read at the same time would be idiotic. Make sure not to walk into traffic. I have an iPod on when I go out walking, but that doesn't mean I don't read. I just like to be able to see where I'm going when I walk.
To sum things up, the guy's a dick.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:47 am Reply with quote
I find it strange that he's sitting at this panel for the graphic novel industry while his company, last I checked, is not involved in the industry. Am I missing something here? When did 4Kids get into the graphic novel industry?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
I just remebered: Doesn't Kahn ever go into a Barnes and Noble or Borders and looks at all the Manga Slack....erm, "Loungers" reading manga? Proof positive that manga is being read......sorta.

Plus how does he get the idea that stuff will be done Electronic?? Is this how he got the license for One Piece? Torrents and Fansubs?
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:01 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Exactly. And I might as well add "entertainment" to "communications" because I don't think manga is in any way a "good way" to get kids "reading". By "reading", I mean literary works that are praiseworthy. Most kids (even adults for that matter) will never fully comprehend the works of, for example, Shakespeare. And manga is supposed to get kids "started" to their way to works of people such as Shakespeare? That's an excuse. So while I agree that Al Kahn is ignorant in saying "manga is a problem", I also think trying to counter that statement by saying "manga will help kids start reading" is equally ignorant as well.

what is so great about shakespeare.

yes manga isnt 'literature' but since when has reading 'literature' made you inherently superior or better than someone who doesnt?

I dont like how people keep o getting hung up over these so called 'classics' to date I have not once actually enjoyed reading any one of them(well except Tolkien I suppose) and I've read a fair few. Give me an entertaining story over a 'Literate Classic' anyday.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:15 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

By saying this, you've pretty much invalidated any kind of opinion or authority you might have on the subject
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

By saying this, you've pretty much invalidated any kind of opinion or authority you might have on the subject

ah I see, so knowing what I like and what I dont, and those dislikes including Shakespeare means that my opinion becomes worthless.

I see now, people Shakespeare is the be all and end all of literature, if you dont like him you can never have an opinion that is worth voicing to these 'literates'

geez...

Shakespeare wrote loads of plays, poems and so forth, I dont think they are good so my opinion becomes invalid? And since when was an opinion ever garnering of authority?

but still, no one has ever answered this for why, what makes Shakespeare so great?
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

ah I see, so knowing what I like and what I don't, and those dislikes including Shakespeare means that my opinion becomes worthless.

I see now, people Shakespeare is the be all and end all of literature, if you don't like him you can never have an opinion that is worth voicing to these 'literates'

geez...

Shakespeare wrote loads of plays, poems and so forth, I don't think they are good so my opinion becomes invalid? And since when was an opinion ever garnering of authority?

but still, no one has ever answered this for why, what makes Shakespeare so great?

I don't know why, but alot of people that like Shakespeare don't seem to understand why the language could be a barrier to people liking it. I tend to prefer to understand what's being said in my books. I'm sure he's probably a decent writer, but I can't get past the language to like his stories.
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

I know plenty of educated people. English majors with degrees that are very well-versed in all the classics who don't care for Shakespeare at all. Instead of explaining to him the reasons why, you just insult him with a snobby remark. How constructive.

The main barrier to Shakespeare is that schools expect students to read it. Shakespeare should always be performed or viewed, not read. It's boring not only for the language, but because you're basically reading a script.

You really should give Shakespeare a chance. His works really are very influential to literature and have a lot of depth. Once you understand what he's saying, he really comes out with awesome and valid stuff. However, if you still don't care for him, that's okay too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4