• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview with a 4Kids script writer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
LydiaDyanne wrote:
Does anyone know how long an anime is licensed for? Because if it isn't for very long, perhaps someone else will pick up One Piece and release it uncut, subtitled.

The rights for OP expire 2009.

Ouch, that would be a loooong time to wait for something uncut.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:
LydiaDyanne wrote:
Does anyone know how long an anime is licensed for? Because if it isn't for very long, perhaps someone else will pick up One Piece and release it uncut, subtitled.

The rights for OP expire 2009.

Ouch, that would be a loooong time to wait for something uncut.

*raises glass* Here's hoping for a scandal ala Enron or a major hostile takeover!!
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
The point is, you basically said that his opinion is not valid because he likes a show that you've never seen better then One Piece. You basically say that One Piece must be the better show because it's got more viewers. That's not the case. In my opinon, I've always thought One Piece was a terrible show. The story was not that good, and the character designs were just atrocious.

...Way to totally misinterpret my argument, now let's try that again, shall we?

Yashouzoid wrote:
One Piece = number one show in Japan.

Fighting Spirit = haven't even heard of it.

This was in response to him saying that although Fighting Spirit has a good rep with the fansub community, it's not doing that well on the R1 shelves. I have never heard of it. One Piece, on the other hand, is the number one show in Japan. This was meant to point out the illogicality in comparing a Japanese megahit bombing in America and a Japanese "diamond in the rough" bombing in America.

Yashouzoid wrote:
By saying that it's a better show, by the way, you've pretty much discredited yourself in my eyes by presenting your personal opinion as solid argument.

This was meant to point out that one's personal opinion does not make for an argument because more often than not, it won't apply to the masses.

Yashouzoid wrote:
I like to ignore popularity when judging anime, and still, One Piece is my favorite anime. Period.

This was meant for me to point out that I really don't give a shit if a show isn't popular or not when personally judging it.

Now review, there's a test on Tuesday.

Last edited by Yashouzoid on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alucard27

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of One Piece's license running out in 3 years...

My hope is that 4Kids folds before that happens, and then the rest of the American distributors get the "free agent" anime in a kind of dispersal draft where the anime is re-licensed to other anime distributors. Then, hopefully One Piece is re-dubbed and released as it's supposed to be: left alone, and with MUCH better voice-overs.

Concerning the interview, this is the exact same 4Kids BS we've been fed for a while now, especially since the emergence of the anime market as we know it today. Sure, we can commend 4Kids for showing us anime, but Cartoon Network was showing us anime before 4Kids was even a glint in our eyes. Some of us just didn't know it was anime, lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3