• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Announce New License at Katsucon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:08 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm hoping it's either Black Cat or the Fullmetal Movie. In a weird random chance, any one ever think it could be something like Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha? With FMA, Conan and others like that under their belt, you never know.
Yanagi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll be at Katsucon today (Saturday), so I'll have to try and go to the panel to hear when series they have licensed! Anime smile
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:57 am Reply with quote
Bleach smeach.
Hopefully it's Black Cat. I do hope they announce the seiyuu as well. I hope they'll be using California's actors/actresses.
But I got a strong feeling they're going to use FUNimation studios' folks, like those from Fullmetal Alchemist. (-_-)'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
psipsy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
I've always said that when it comes to licensing anime, it's not "if" but "when".

The mentionings of Air may make sense, regardless of the supposed insane licensing fees. Hey, they might have worked out a deal that would have gotten them both Air and Kanon. Something like Da Capo is also possible.

Hopefuls: Combustible Campus Guardress, School Rumble, Pita Ten, Dokuro-chan, Konomini, G-on Riders, Emma, Maico 2010 (HEY US COMPANIES HINT HINT HINT WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE)

Time will tell.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote
Although it's pretty much inevitable that Funimation will eventually license it, I doubt the Full Metal Alchemist movie will be the anime Funimation is going to announce the license to. Remember they said that it's an anime a lot of people like but isn't a blockbuster hit, and with the mainstream success of Full Metal Alchemist on Adult Swim, wouldn't that qualify that series as being a blockbuster hit? I personally think it'll be XXXholic. Although the TV show hasn't been released in Japan yet, the manga has already been released both in Japan and in the U.S. It's a series that a lot of fans like but isn't a blockbuster hit like some of Clamp's other titles are, and since Funimation has already licensed the first season of Tsubasa and the XXXholic movie, it makes sense for them to go ahead and license the XXXholic TV show, even if it hasn't been released in Japan yet.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
Let it be Rozen Maiden.

It would go well with their upcoming release of Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
psipsy wrote:
I've always said that when it comes to licensing anime, it's not "if" but "when".

The mentionings of Air may make sense, regardless of the supposed insane licensing fees. Hey, they might have worked out a deal that would have gotten them both Air and Kanon. Something like Da Capo is also possible.

Hopefuls: Combustible Campus Guardress, School Rumble, Pita Ten, Dokuro-chan, Konomini, G-on Riders, Emma, Maico 2010 (HEY US COMPANIES HINT HINT HINT WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE)

Time will tell.

It is no longer 2003. It is now "If and Only If it will do well in sales." The majority of that list will fall flat on its face in sales. No more of the mass licensing of projects that the staff want to work on.

Also, there is no way anyone except Viz is going to get Bleach and they are only going to announce it when there is space for it on TV.

My bet is Solty Rei or Black Cat or maybe for an outside shot... (looks at his rumor list)... Noein maybe?
hikaru393

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
i hope it's either air or black cat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
Ahhh, licensing speculations are so much fun! And once FUNi officially announces the title, some people might get disappointed while others will praise them like gods (I know I praise them for them getting Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase). Cool

And how come no one mentioned Kimi ga Nozomu Eien? Of course I also want Air TV to be licensed. It'll be a shame for having these high-quality titles be only known by fansub watchers.

Ah well. I guess I'll wait and see. Rolling Eyes
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:

i could be wrong, but i think they already have Black Cat... at least according to the cease & Desist.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I must say, that I really hope that Air TV is NOT Licensed. The show started eh, got better in the middle, then totally held a yard sale for the ending (read:bad).

On the other hand, I really enjoyed Da Capo. But that's probably a risk they dont want to take.

Most likely annoucment, an add-on to something they already have.
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if they were to announce the acquisition of the five newest Lupin the 3rd TV specials (from 2001-2005), but I don't think they have them...at least not yet. Crying or Very sad

Maybe they'll go for something like Mahoraba or Honey and Clover Razz.

It'll probably Solty Rei, though. Did they announce that yet?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
This is not longer a definite prediction, but I still wouldn't be the least bit surprised if FUNi eventually licenses Sailor Moon, or at least Sailor Stars, considering that Toei's own domestic label seems to be moribund.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
hikaru393 wrote:

i could be wrong, but i think they already have Black Cat... at least according to the cease & Desist.

I know two groups that are still subbing Black Cat very openly, one has stated that none of the C&Ds made public they've found actually mentioned Black Cat, plus they've never been contacted by FUNi despite the fact they are very open about subbing Black Cat.

that said... I want Black Cat licensed, dangit... DVD quality goodness, whoot! that beats fansubs any day!
Riza|Hawkeye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
what the hell!?!?! Rumbling Hearts?
evidentally FUNi have shit translators :S
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5