• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OK to show? Millenium Actress & Totoro

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Hi,
I and some friends of mine are starting an anime club. I was thinking we could show a few movies in it too, but I have a few questions.
Millenium Actress:
I heard here that it is for sale. Do I still need to get permission to show this?
My Neighbor Totoro: If we were going to show the Fox dub version, would we need to contact Disney (who now has MYT rights) or could we show this without contacting Disney?
Thanks.
P.S. Sorry if this is breaking the rules. I read them, so I think this is OK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Most of the anime clubs around my area, including the larger ones, don't officially get permission to screen anything. I really don't think it matters since anime clubs aren't for profit. Screening almost never attracts the attention of any company, so go ahead and show them. Most clubs don't go through any of this unnessecary trouble because it's generally for private viewing (unless your club is a few hundred people), and contacting a company, especially Disney, is both time consuming and expensive. It's best to go with just showing it, since that's what all the other anime clubs do.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I think you're confusing getting freebies for your anime club with something else. I think some clubs contact anime companies for free anime so they can screen it at their anime club. I don't know how this works and it's probably a hassle. I assume most clubs just use their members personal collections, netflix rentals, or even fansubs. I don't understand why you would think this would be illegal. You're not charging admission right? Then it should be ok.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
The answer depends on how exactly you're starting your club. If it's just a club that you are running out of your house, or is totally put together by you and your friends, it's generally not necessary to receive permission to screen a show. That hinges, of course, on that you don't charge anyone to see it, and you don't make copies or anything.

If your club is going to be affiliated, like with a school, library, or other such thing, it could be different. Organizations like those tend to take copyright very seriously, so they may require permission in those cases, as well as that possibly getting close to the line of what a "private" screening is.

That's from the legal side of things, but companies are really very tolerant of such things, so long as you aren't taking advantage of it to make money off of it or otherwise infringe upon their rights.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

If your club is going to be affiliated, like with a school, library, or other such thing, it could be different. Organizations like those tend to take copyright very seriously, so they may require permission in those cases, as well as that possibly getting close to the line of what a "private" screening is.

That's from the legal side of things, but companies are really very tolerant of such things, so long as you aren't taking advantage of it to make money off of it or otherwise infringe upon their rights.

Club showings in theory should help a title's popularity and sales. I believe it was ADV that had care packages for colleges with free promo copies. Since Millenium Actress and Totoro are owned by large non-anime companies they might not fall into this category, but the dedicated anime companies have been very supportive of club activities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1