• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Paradise Kiss

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching this series and I have to say I loved it. The characters are beautiful, the story is beautiful, everything about it is beautiful. Masterpiece.

What did you guys think about this one, if you have seen it?

Luminal
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Luminal could you be more specific with what made Paradise Kiss beautiful to you? I mean you basically only summed it up as beautiful but what exactly about the series was soo beautiful so could you go into more detail about the series?

"Believe it you dirty Shisnos!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
I've only seen the end credits to the show ('cause I'm a Franz Ferdinand fan); and just by watching that I wanna see this show.
Luminal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, I'm sorry.

Well, it is a story of this group of weird looking but nice people who are fashion designers and are looking for a model who will wear their dress in the contest they want to participate in. They suddenly bump into Caroline, a student who is preparing herself for her university exams. She is tall and has a perfect figure, and she looks exactly like the kind of person they had in mind to wear the dress.

The graphics are eye candy, the music is amazing. The characters are very well designed and interesting. And the story is great and properly told.

I really recommend this anime.

And yeah, Franz Ferdinand rocks!

Luminal
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Having seen the entire series...

it was somewhat a departure from the manga's style, particularly in terms of the art. Yazawa didn't use the little tooned-up versions of the characters.

Also, the pace was somewhat skewed.

And all of the jokes based around the characters knowing that they were in a manga weren't there... Which is probably a good thing, but still.

on the whole, it looked good, sounded good, the storyline was at least passable, but it wasn't perfect.

I didn't like Isabella in the anime... She just didn't seem quite right.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
"Believe it you dirty Shisnos!"

Kudos for the Red vs. Blue reference. Very Happy
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I loved alot my self,except one this screwed with,and that was the ending,the whole '10 Years Later' thing...
guess i should read the manga eh?

(Oh! btw,I agree! Franz Ferdinand does rock! 8continues to chibi dance)
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:
*coughs* spoiler[Isabella's a man in both the manga and anime] That's why .... it's strange.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Coffeeman wrote:
*coughs* spoiler[Isabella's a man in both the manga and anime] That's why .... it's strange.
....Yeah Strange spoiler[Never said 'She' had a .. change]
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Coffeeman wrote:
....Yeah Strange spoiler[Never said 'She' had a .. change]

Well, duh. I mean, of course I knew that Isabella was something out of the ordinary, I mean, I love the manga.

However, I simply meant that the Anime Isabella seemed strange compared to the Manga Isabella.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I did love this series for multiple reasons (characters, development, music, visuals, etc) but I do have one question. spoiler[Why exactly did George give the Paradise Kiss collection to Caroline? I understand that it's his love for her, etc, etc. but I think it goes beyond that.
I think it has something to do with the change that the viewer perceives in George after seeing him fail at seducing that other girl who's studying in London. Thus we see George as more of a human rather than the god he's sort of been throughout the series (Gendo anyone?). Or perhaps it has something to do with George somehow seeing Caroline as the perfect girl which doesn't line up because I think he really likes that girl studying in London more. I guess I think that George handing over the wardrobe to Caroline is his gift to her because not only does he want her to remember her, he wants her to sort of have him around and learn about him through his clothing the way she would if he were around her. The Parakiss collection is a snapshot of George's soul and perhaps he has something in his past he doesn't want to reveal to her.]

This question has been eating me ever since I had a conversation with myself about it late Saturday night. Yes, it is longwinded I realize that.
Celes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
I did love this series for multiple reasons (characters, development, music, visuals, etc) but I do have one question. spoiler[Why exactly did George give the Paradise Kiss collection to Caroline? I understand that it's his love for her, etc, etc. but I think it goes beyond that.
I think it has something to do with the change that the viewer perceives in George after seeing him fail at seducing that other girl who's studying in London. Thus we see George as more of a human rather than the god he's sort of been throughout the series (Gendo anyone?). Or perhaps it has something to do with George somehow seeing Caroline as the perfect girl which doesn't line up because I think he really likes that girl studying in London more. I guess I think that George handing over the wardrobe to Caroline is his gift to her because not only does he want her to remember her, he wants her to sort of have him around and learn about him through his clothing the way she would if he were around her. The Parakiss collection is a snapshot of George's soul and perhaps he has something in his past he doesn't want to reveal to her.]

This question has been eating me ever since I had a conversation with myself about it late Saturday night. Yes, it is longwinded I realize that.

I think George did it simply because he did not want her to forget ParaKiss and everything they had been through as a group...He wanted his legacy to live on through Caroline's memories, and I believe that she spoiler[was his true muse, and that he did not love the girl in London more than her at all]. In a way, George transformed her and made her more confident and blossom into a woman, and I think he still sees her as his ultimate project....
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Sounds reasonable. It's just spoiler[I think that floundering that George experiences when he's with the girl from London, she's one upping George I think. He's never slept with her and I think the fact that his charm doesn't work on her is what produces that real image of George the human, as I already said. I can accept the idea that the Parakiss collection is to commemorate various experiences that whole group had but I don't know that we can say that Caroline is George's ultimate project. Certainly, he plays a huge role in her life and in changing her but I just think George has a different kind of love for these two different women. For Caroline, I think he is the teacher and recognizes that he will not be the last man in her life, he will not truly be the romantic lover, hence her getting married to another guy at the end who we don't believe to be George. The girl in London however, appears to have the romantic grip on George that he had on Caroline. She is the teacher for him but possibly, they are equal in some way. I think of the sequence where the London girl comes to George's apartment near the end and Caroline freaks out, etc. That girl seeks something from George, I think and even if its simply his company, I think that puts them on a more equivalent plane and a more, excuse the terms, "equal romantic playing field more likely to result in some sort of life long commitment."]

Of course, it's just all my opinion. You could very well be right, I wrote this out more to reinforce my opinion that to "disprove" yours. So please don't take it the wrong way. In a way, I'm just glad I wrote it, explaining things to the self clarifies things.
Celes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
Sounds reasonable. It's just spoiler[I think that floundering that George experiences when he's with the girl from London, she's one upping George I think. He's never slept with her and I think the fact that his charm doesn't work on her is what produces that real image of George the human, as I already said. I can accept the idea that the Parakiss collection is to commemorate various experiences that whole group had but I don't know that we can say that Caroline is George's ultimate project. Certainly, he plays a huge role in her life and in changing her but I just think George has a different kind of love for these two different women. For Caroline, I think he is the teacher and recognizes that he will not be the last man in her life, he will not truly be the romantic lover, hence her getting married to another guy at the end who we don't believe to be George. The girl in London however, appears to have the romantic grip on George that he had on Caroline. She is the teacher for him but possibly, they are equal in some way. I think of the sequence where the London girl comes to George's apartment near the end and Caroline freaks out, etc. That girl seeks something from George, I think and even if its simply his company, I think that puts them on a more equivalent plane and a more, excuse the terms, "equal romantic playing field more likely to result in some sort of life long commitment."]

Of course, it's just all my opinion. You could very well be right, I wrote this out more to reinforce my opinion that to "disprove" yours. So please don't take it the wrong way. In a way, I'm just glad I wrote it, explaining things to the self clarifies things.

LOL oh gosh no do not think I am arguing with you! I don't think either of us are wrong or right! It's all my opinion too Anime smile And I think my opinion might be biased because I've read the manga and seen the anime, so I am probably mixing manga George's personality along with anime George's. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1