• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiddy Grade in your oppinion......

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
I have started to collect this series out of bordum, I was woundering how you feel on about it?

Is it good, bad or medeocur?

Dose it have humor in it?

Any action, or manily a romance comedy?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
It's Loli-fanservice set in a futuristic sci-fi plot hence it's title. If that sort of thing floats your boat, you'll love it. If not, you won't. I was interested in the underlying plot but the unnecessary gratuitous loli-fanservice just ruined it for me.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote
Most of the fanservice was focussed on Eclair, and she's not really loli (16 is legal here and in Japan and Wikipedia rekons the Loli 'cutuff' is 13)

It is mainly action and is definitely not a romance comedy (as there's little romance to speak of)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:42 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Most of the fanservice was focussed on Eclair, and she's not really loli (16 is legal here and in Japan and Wikipedia rekons the Loli 'cutuff' is 13)

It is mainly action and is definitely not a romance comedy (as there's little romance to speak of)
Guess you were not paying too much attention to Lumiair then? Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:50 am Reply with quote
There is Lumiere fanservice, but as I said, the focus is on Eclair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:04 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
There is Lumiere fanservice, but as I said, the focus is on Eclair.
For you obviously but not for others and you seemed to be implying that there was none at all. Lumiere does not look over 13, more 11 at most. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
And it should be pointed out that neither Lumiere nor Eclaire (nor any of the other ES members) are as young as they look, either. (Oops, can't say anything more on that, as that's actually a major plot point. It is connected to why the series is named what it is, though.) The lolicon thing never even registered for me, though; Lumiere and the other really young one were cute and that's it.

To get back to 2Real's original question, Kiddy Grade is a brighty-colored series which looks at first like nothing more than a light-hearted super-powered action series. Several episodes in (around ep 9, I think) you start getting big hints that something else is going on here, though. The break point hits at ep 11, when the series gets a lot darker and more dramatic and really ramps up the plot development. It eventually reveals that there's a lot more depth to the characters and plot than one might think at first.

Despite ridiculous aspects to the final act, I really liked Kiddy Grade. It's a solid action series with more drama and depth than is initially apparent. Maybe a bit of incidental humor here and there, but it isn't the focus.

And 2Real: Really, man, work on the spelling and grammar! You've been around in this forum long enough to know that better is expected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camelot187757

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
I've only see the trailers but from what I've seen it looks like a futuristic sci-fi anime thing and not much more than that. And from what I've seen it also has a decent amount of Fanservice in it
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The lolicon thing never even registered for me, though; Lumiere and the other really young one were cute and that's it.
I agree with Key on this particular subject. While I don't necessarily look for lolicon, I didn't see it in this series. As for fanservice, it was was solely centered around Eclair.

This series kind of reminded me of Dirty Pair. There was some humor, good action and (IMO) interesting plot development throughout the series.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I definitely enjoyed this series. The powers were pretty unique and cool. The episodic beginning is nice while the last 2/3 of the show will definitely keep you guessing.

I watched it dubbed because I liked Eclair's voice a whole lot better in the dub but I will say because of that, the ending wasn't quite as hard for me to figure out.(Well not the ending, but some twists that are thrown halfway or past halfway through the show). It was easier to keep track of things in the dub. Overall though if any of the show looks interesting, go ahead and get the whole thing. The show does pretty good on it's premise without any let downs I'd say. Enjoy.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
It's a pretty good series if you ignore the last 3 or 4 episodes, which are really stupid. Quite frankly, I think the director just pulled those episodes out of his ass.

As for the fanservice... you get a good deal of panty shots curtesy of Eclaire, but that's about it.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
As for the fanservice... you get a good deal of panty shots curtesy of Eclaire, but that's about it.

Hey, i saw numerous trailers of it . . . what about breasts that defy the known Laws of gravity and physics? Boobs that spit on the Newtonians Laws of Motion?

Last edited by The Frankman on Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Hey, i saw numerous trailers of it . . . what about boobs that defy the known laws of gravity and physics? Boobs that spit on Newton's laws?

You haven't seen Divergance Eve have you?
2Real

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Everyone bugs me about that. I try my best at it, but I just can't spell.

It's not like i don't try. Also, I sometimes write these when I have had a few to drink.

And, thanks to all who posted their oppinions on this show.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's a pretty good series if you ignore the last 3 or 4 episodes, which are really stupid. Quite frankly, I think the director just pulled those episodes out of his ass.

Can't entirely disagree with that. It was more the mecha side of it that I had issues with than the plot.

Quote:

Actually there was one significant scene of nudity; episode 12, IIRC, in a sequence that's very revealing in other senses, too.

I was also quite pleased with the English dub performances. Eclair is voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard, whom some might know better as the English voice of Hawkeye and Rose on FMA. She has one of the better mid-register voices in anime dubbing but doesn't work heavily because she does a lot of ADR directing, too (including FMA, Kodocha, the upcoming Negima, and the last third of Kiddy Grade). Weirdly, she actually looks a bit like Eclair if you check out her profile picture.

I did have an issue with Kiddy Grade's dub script, however. While not blatantly bad, it does follow FUNi's tendency to play fast and loose with translations and does change the meaning a little in places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2