• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suzuka.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I feel for you, guys. Anime hyper I'm also not much of a person when it comes to confidence either.

Anyways, personally I think that Suzuka is a great series. While Akisuki can act like a total idiot sometimes, his haeart is usually in the right place. I also find that Suzuka is quite indecisive sometimes, and that she should've expressed her feelings sooner.

Suzuka is nearing its last few episodes, and I'm hoping that Suzuka & Akisuki eventually become a couple. However, I can't help but get a feeling that a sudden twist will happen....
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh i'd just like to point out spoiler[that in the last two episodes it seems that Hashiba has started to develop a crush on Akitsuki. Though it seems she's playing the supportive friend role it seems that she gets a bit annoyed when she tries to help Akitsuki but he screws up cause he's thinking of Suzuka. This is pretty obvious when they show her blushing when she is asking to help out Akitsuki with his relay practice.]

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
therax

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Oh i'd just like to point out spoiler[that in the last two episodes it seems that Hashiba has started to develop a crush on Akitsuki. Though it seems she's playing the supportive friend role it seems that she gets a bit annoyed when she tries to help Akitsuki but he screws up cause he's thinking of Suzuka. This is pretty obvious when they show her blushing when she is asking to help out Akitsuki with his relay practice.]

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

If the series was longer I would have to agree with you, but it's too short of a time for that story arc. I think spoiler[she will end up with Akitsuki's friend (cant remember his name). They fight like an old married couple allready Laughing ]
sca2511

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
hahah at first i thought it was going to be another "Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien" cause of the drawings, it seemed familiar imo. The anime is pretty good so far, but i can't seem to find a lot of the manga.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Oh i'd just like to point out spoiler[that in the last two episodes it seems that Hashiba has started to develop a crush on Akitsuki.]

Actually, she mentioned that while Yamato and Yasunobu were discussing Yamato's first confession to Suzuka right after it happened.
space clam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I might as well contribute my story. I think I'm currently winning at never having any female interaction at all until 9th grade (unless 'what time is it' counts). There was one really pretty girl who was clever enough to realize "hey that guy knows all the answers." So, she would be randomly nice to me, saying hi, etceteras. Then, she decided to transfer schools; lucky me. >_>

In 10th grade, there was a different girl. She typically sat by or near me in Biology because that's just how the seating assignment worked. Interestingly enough, I was actually able to make her laugh by the totally off-the-wall stuff I would say, or the highly perverted jokes I could come up with. I was thinking, "hey, I'm actually making a friend." Oops, she went to a different school too. WOMG I'm seeing a pattern.

11th grade rolls around. By this point I've started to play DDR. I begin to take more notice of a girl I've always thought was insanely beautiful, but was a grade higher than me (by the way things worked with my schooling, this meant she is roughly 2 years older). Around fall of that year I hear she's going to Virginia Tech; holy crap, a common interest. So now, some Sundays and Monday nights (that's when we all had handbell/choir rehearsel at church) are my favorite days of the week, since I get to see her and ZOMG even get to talk to her. Of course, I wanted to ask for her instant messaging screen name, since I'm rather adept at using the Intarwebs. Unfortunately, I'm myself, and I can never bring myself to ask her that. FFWD to late spring. I still can't find the courage just to ask for an IM name. I now see her hanging out with some guy whose age I have not yet determined to this day. That burns, slightly. Near the beginning of summer, we have Youth Sunday, where the youth 'run' the service. She was one of the 'pastors' of that service. At the end of it, I actually got a hug from her. First time a girl had ever made contact with me. It soon dawns on me that I suck and still haven't gotten some method of communication with her, and if I don't I won't have a chance for a long time. I do something crazy; I go buy a dozen roses and leave them semi-anonymously at her house for her birthday. This plan was made of win and good, as I finally got her SN after some e-mail correspondence from work.

It's 12th grade. I'm pretty good at DDR now (passing some 9s and whatnot). Yeah, that girl is basically the only one I talk to, but I couldn't be happier; after all, a girl's talking to me. During the fall, I'm now more able to interact with this girl, and I can honestly say we're friends. During this time, I inter/extrapolate that she's pretty serious with that guy I had seen around last year. So yeah, that kind of kills any hope I had of going out with her. Around the spring of that year, she's not online much anymore, so I don't get to talk to her near as often. Now I start getting good at DDR, and begin posting on DDR Freak. When summer rolls around, I get her flowers again. I start playing In The Groove and Beatmania IIDX. I also start to seriously destroy at playing Defense of the Ancients.

Now it's the present time, this fall semester at Va Tech. If you thought my mentioning of video games was pointless, it really isn't, you'll see. My source of IIDX is now elsewhere, so I have to start trying to get all the stuff together myself (which I haven not yet done). I began averaging around 8.5 posts per day on DDR Freak, playing StepMania keyboard charts, and PAing stuff in DDR (FAing in ITG, and sucking in IIDX). Even though we go to the same college, I rarely see or hear from that girl any more, but I've noticed I don't care nearly as much now as I would have last year. In fact, I haven't had a 1v1 conversation with a girl in "real" life for several months. You might think this would begin to bother me, but I can't ever seem to care any more. So, I guess the moral of my story is to play video games; if not an ample replacement, it will at least make you numb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Ok just recently viewed the latest episode. My thoughts on it is that spoiler[Yamato is starting to act more responsible. From that short discussion with Suzuka near the end of the episode where he is disappointed that he was beaten by Emerson he describes his running form and is asking Suzuka if there is something wrong with it. He was very specific with what he does and a fault in his running. It finally seems that he is trying to prove himself unlike before. This sudden change in Yamato has surprised Suzuka but from the preview of the next episode it seems like she doesn't believe that he is becoming serious about track and field]. Though the rest of the episodes do feel a tad predictable on what will happen it will be interesting to see what Suzuka will do after Yamato proves himself.

Sidenotes:

.It seems like Yasunobu and Hashiba are starting to get close though with small steps.

. It also seems like Sakurai will play less of a role later on.

. It also seems like the other sprinter (the one who likes Sakurai) will end up wither Sakurai.

. Throughout this entire series (to date) I have only found one decent scene with somewhat good animation and that is in the opening animation when Suzuka is doing her highjump. The short clib where you see her foot move from one position to another was decently animated compared to the rest of the series.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:12 am Reply with quote
I saw episode 22 last night, but have been fighting a slight cold since yesterday morning, so here I am to post thoughts while I'm still energetic.

It feels as if the series has developed more of that shounen atmosphere, now.

spoiler[ Akitsuki's willpower and determination to beat Arima's time and become the best athlete in all of Japan (and to also prove his "true" worth to Asahina) is as clear cut as shounen can get, at this point.]

If this transition is anything else like other shounen titles, then it will become easy to predict, which I don't mind myself, so long as I enjoy the trip.

I still like this series a lot because of how it reminds me a little of my mid to late grade school years. And knowing most romance anime, I'm sure everyone will turn out happy at the end of this one (as common as that is) Anime catgrin.
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:34 am Reply with quote
Actually I would say Suzuka (and Honoka) misunderstood Akitsuki. Both felt sidelined by his new passion. He hasn't behaved quite this singlemindedly before and it left Suzuka feeling ignored. From her snippy rejoinder in the preview I think they will play on this theme in the next episode.

Akitsuki's problem is that when he sets his mind on something he always tries so hard that he develops blind spots and leaves people wondering what's going on. I think the actual transition will be one where he learns moderation rather than going all out.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Just finished episode 23. I sort of like this "new" Akitsuki. That spirit, determination, and unrelenting desire that is apparent in a lot of shounen titles is something I've always had an attraction to. Of course we know why he's doing it, but it's better than seeing him do something a little more boneheaded and hurtful like when he was spoiler[ dating Sakurai].

I'm also glad Suzuka spoiler[ finally showed some hint of compassion for Akitsuki instead of constantly dissing him for whatever reason].

By the way, I don't know if there are any girls out there that are interested in this series. But are any of you ladies out there understanding why she's doing this, perhaps? Or do any of you guys have an explanation?

My theory is spoiler[ she's still somewhat infatuated with that late senpai (whose name escapes my memory, darn it) because of the way Akitsuki strives to be number one.

But as Hashiba pointed out, Suzuka won't be won over so easily, which then leads me to believe something else will probably happen, but I don't want to make any predictions without maybe one more episode to expose the possible answer.]

Only 3 more to go!
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:32 am Reply with quote
I think it's worth remembering that Suzuka doesn't really know if Akitsuki still got the hots for her. She already rejected him once and now her behavior around Akitsuki keeps clouding the issue. I mean, do you see him responding like a boy in love during their recurring banter? She's not completely blind but the need for certainty holds her back. She has major hangups about looking foolish, which prevents her from confessing or even showing signs of affection. Especially to somebody she has repeatedly and openly declared to be "the worst".

Suzuka has come far enough to admit to herself she likes Akitsuki, but she still needs a bit of time to work out what that means. She certainly doesn't like being ignored at this stage. Add a bit of the old nerves and it's no surprise she keeps having the same familiar conversations with Akitsuki. She probably knocks herself on the head for acting like she does but it's a role that's too easy to slip into.

Let's see what happens. I think about the worst Akitsuki could do is to blurt out a confession to Suzuka in front of other people. The time to clear the fallout from that could well leave us with a KareKano ending.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
sca2511 wrote:
hahah at first i thought it was going to be another "Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien" cause of the drawings, it seemed familiar imo.

And would that be so bad Question

Not too much of the manga has been scanlated, but if you feel up to learning Japanese, there are plenty of raws out there Shocked Surprised

But, the manga has been licensed by Del Rey, so you'll be able to buy it in English.
Skadebonus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Hi i was really caught by Suzuka its actually the first love romance anime i really liked, usally im more of a Shounen kind of guy but im starting to get sick of em hehe so anyways i thought maybe you guys would be nice enough to recommend an anime thats like this one. thanks guys
pure3nergy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
I think someone should start a thread about personal stories and experiences of heartbreak that people would like to share to other people.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
pure3nergy wrote:
I think someone should start a thread about personal stories and experiences of heartbreak that people would like to share to other people.

I thought about it too. But like I said, those kinds of stories aren't really fond memories for most people. Sure, I posted my own experience, but I've learned to deal with it.

Personally, I feel it's selfish to even try garnering that sort of attention. It's always been a paranoid belief of mine that if I tell anyone my story, it looks like I'm trying to gain sympathy, while they waste their time listening to my tales of foolish angst and laughable adolescent efforts. We're better off moving on and doing something productive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4