• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Witch Academia's Tokyo Event Cancelled Due to Low Ticket Sales

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
This thread is truly hilarious.

Also, for the record, Little Witch Academia was never intended to make money, or even be particularly profitable.

Have any of you guys actually looked up what Anime Mirai is? How its funded and what its for?

I think your point bears repeating, so I'm repeating it here Wink
There are 12 titles so far, 4 debuting a few months ago. One of which becomes a Western online cult classic of sorts, and all hell breaks loose trying to determine why this one short, animation training demo, albeit a fabulous demo, was mostly ignored in its home country... like the other 11 were.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Trying to understand how you approach watching anime kind of bums me out. I can't convince myself that you actual enjoy anything.

I apparently enjoy it a lot more than the people who do nothing but complain about how anime sucks now. I'm more than happy with the state of anime now, since I'm able to find 30+ shows to watch at a time.

I've been watching anime for a long time, from the bootleg VHS, when Robotech was on TV days, to imported Ah My Goddess on Laserdisc, to now, and I also think today's state is much better. My scope is I think, even bigger than yours (I like LWA for one) and there's just a lot more to go around. Of course, increasing everything means there's both more to like and more to complain about, for those of more narrow scope
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
PS: I only have a problem with one type of yaoi fans: the rampant shippers. The one who'll insist on certain ships that make absolutely no sense. Years back, I almost lost a friend after a heated argument about how the Inuyasha/Sehhomaru ship was beyond retarded, not really because they're half-brothers, but because they pretty much hate each other.

They love shipping couples that hate each other. Rivals and enemies are probably the biggest ships you can find.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Since this thread has gone off the rails already...

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
PS: I only have a problem with one type of yaoi fans: the rampant shippers. The one who'll insist on certain ships that make absolutely no sense. Years back, I almost lost a friend after a heated argument about how the Inuyasha/Sehhomaru ship was beyond retarded, not really because they're half-brothers, but because they pretty much hate each other.

They love shipping couples that hate each other. Rivals and enemies are probably the biggest ships you can find.

It might because it allows Seme/Uke roles to be formed
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, I sure do love it when people talk about BL and its fandom without knowing anything about it! Almost as much as I love seeing people take Chagen's obnoxious yuri trolling seriously!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Trying to understand how you approach watching anime kind of bums me out. I can't convince myself that you actual enjoy anything.

I apparently enjoy it a lot more than the people who do nothing but complain about how anime sucks now. I'm more than happy with the state of anime now, since I'm able to find 30+ shows to watch at a time.

That's like claiming that you enjoy food because you eat at Old Country Buffet a lot.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Fun Fact: When I use My Anime's "find members with similar ratings" function, RyanSaotome is at or near the top of the list.

I've been into anime since the early 90s, and while I wouldn't say that anime now is better than it's ever been (I'd say that was probably the mid-2000s), I'm certainly enjoying plenty of shows every season, including the current one.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

That like claiming that you enjoy food because you eat at Old Country Buffet a lot.

To borrow your analogy, however, Ryan enjoying Old Country Buffet every day makes a hell of a lot more sense then the people who complain bitterly about the food and service, yet still eat there and go to Old Country Buffet themed web communities.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
This... has gone to a weird place.

To make a feeble plea on behalf of the ostensible topic:

I have no reason to expect it and it might well not be a good idea, but it would be nice if Trigger tried to use Little Witch Academia as a way to cultivate a relationship with fans outside of Japan. Maybe they can wring a few more episodes out of us or even a film, which I've thought would be the best tack to take since I first saw it. They almost surely don't need it and it might not work, but it sure would be nice.

VORTIA wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

That's like claiming that you enjoy food because you eat at Old Country Buffet a lot.

To borrow your analogy, however, Ryan enjoying Old Country Buffet every day makes a hell of a lot more sense then the people who complain bitterly about the food and service, yet still eat there and go to Old Country Buffet themed web communities.

Maybe it does, but that misses the point of the analogy and I don't say that, believe that or really think in those terms, so it's not really relevant to what I wrote. The reason that I find RyanSaotome's approach so disheartening is because it strikes me as indiscriminate and mechanical. He talks so often about how much he watches and emphasizes 'newness' very aggressively, but never what it means to him or how it makes him feel, at least in more than a superficial way. It makes it all seem a meaningless and numbing torrent of ephemera. It might just be a limitation of my perspective, but I can't see how he finds in any joy in it. I like to feel like whatever I'm watching means at least a little to me, because when that happens, it's really satisfying. Otherwise I would feel like I was just killing time and wasting opportunities for experiences en masse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Maybe it does, but that misses the point of the analogy and I don't say that, believe that or really think in those terms, so it's not really relevant to what I wrote. The reason that I find RyanSaotome's approach so disheartening is because it strikes me as indiscriminate and mechanical. He talks so often about how much he watches and emphasizes 'newness' very aggressively, but never what it means to him or how it makes him feel, at least in more than a superficial way. It makes it all seem a meaningless and numbing torrent of ephemera. It might just be a limitation of my perspective, but I can't see how he finds in any joy in it. I like to feel like whatever I'm watching means at least a little to me, because when that happens, it's really satisfying. Otherwise I would feel like I was just killing time and wasting opportunities for experiences en masse.

I find "Joy" in it because I love watching anime. It always brings a smile to my face to see cute girls doing cute things... I always enjoy seeing a good action scene in a battle shonen... I love a good tearjerker. I also love listening to seiyuu I like (yesterdays episode of The World God Only Knows was amazing just because of all of the Kana Hana). I just don't care about focusing on one or two shows and then ignoring the rest, since I'd be missing out on far too many shows that I would enjoy watching.

Basically, I view anime as a medium I love and I watch lots of it, since it gives me exactly what I want that I can't find in other mediums. I don't view it as individual shows as much as something that is always there that I can watch every season. Obviously, there are certain shows that stand out I like more than others (like my top 3 of this season are Monogatari 2, Prism Illya and Danganronpa), but overall, as long as there are a bunch of anime airing I enjoy, then I'm happy.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
@Fencedude

I've been reminded recently that sometimes when problem posts are deleted, posts responding to them are also deleted in order to clean up the thread and bring things back on topic. From what I saw in this thread, "your post deleted for no reason" was probably because it responded to a deleted chagen post and wouldn't make sense without the context.

That said, you can always bring up the subject and ask for clarification on the feedback forum.

@chagen

I imagine your posts got deleted for soapboxing. But like I said to fencedude, the feedback forum might be the best place to go for clarification, rather then complaining in this thread about being "UnPersoned". That's likely to just get your posts deleted again for being off topic.

Off topic... yah, speaking of being off topic. Ahem. My thoughts on this topic can mostly be summed up by a post made on the first page.

Surrender Artist wrote:
I'm not going to dive into berating Japanese fans, but I am a little surprised that it seemingly has so little cachet over there. The girls are cute as Hell and it's a lot of fun. I'd expect that to appeal to more otaku than it evidently does.

I imagine that this is frustrating for the staff.

Perhaps they'll join this to the success of the Kickstarter campaign and try holding an event at a western anime convention. (Come on world premiere at Otakon 22!)

Yah, pretty much agree with all of that.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this thread sure grew.

YamadaKun wrote:
Just a little question, but why shouldn't certain anime appeal to the market outside Japan?

Japan is Japan's core audience because most of the money they get is from Japanese consumers. They get a small percentage of the sales from abroad, which are already a fraction of the Japanese sale price.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

I find "Joy" in it because I love watching anime. It always brings a smile to my face to see cute girls doing cute things... I always enjoy seeing a good action scene in a battle shonen... I love a good tearjerker. I also love listening to seiyuu I like (yesterdays episode of The World God Only Knows was amazing just because of all of the Kana Hana). I just don't care about focusing on one or two shows and then ignoring the rest, since I'd be missing out on far too many shows that I would enjoy watching.

Basically, I view anime as a medium I love and I watch lots of it, since it gives me exactly what I want that I can't find in other mediums. I don't view it as individual shows as much as something that is always there that I can watch every season. Obviously, there are certain shows that stand out I like more than others (like my top 3 of this season are Monogatari 2, Prism Illya and Danganronpa), but overall, as long as there are a bunch of anime airing I enjoy, then I'm happy.

I think I find myself struggling to really engage in online anime communities because I share a bit of both of your perspectives.

I find it very sad when younger fans aren't interested in a great story with great characters because it is "old", as if the value of a story or a person can expire and has a shelf-life measured in weeks like milk. Some of my favorite anime are from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, and I feel sorry for everyone who can't see past cel animation to enjoy a truly epic story. I'm a huge fan of everything Studio GONZO put out. I really love anime as art. One of my deepest attractions to anime is the way that it portrays complex philosophical ideas and struggles abstractly.

That said, I understand and embrace anime as a simple entertainment medium meant to make the viewer feel good. Just because anime can be a deep work of art doesn't mean it always has to be. It can simply be fun. Or soothingly pleasant. Or saucy. I enjoy anime's simple charms and the way it makes me laugh and smile.

I'm fine with the idea that not everyone will enjoy both, but it saddens me that fans in the US increasingly try to harass and ostracise one another about what kind of goofy foreign fetish cartoons they watch, like the general public sees any difference. We're all in this together, as far as I'm concerned.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
2 - Historically, investing in the Western market hasn't panned out for Japanese animation companies. Back in the early 2000s, no other anime studio was a stronger proponent of marketing to the West than Gonzo. Gonzo was built on series that flew in the face of conventional expectations, actively courted Western fans, was one of the first Japanese companies that advocated streaming subtitled anime in the US, and creating original products for Western consumption. I consider many of the anime they made amongst the greatest titles of all time. The result was that they ended up being delisted from the Tokyo stock exchange, filing for bankruptcy, and producing Strike Witches in a desperate bid to remain solvent. The lesson leanred in Japan was that Western sales aren't going to carry your business, and if you run with a Western-focused business model, you're destined for failure.

I just wanted to mention that I'm not sure this is entirely the case, depending on how you look at the broader scope of animation history in Japan. During the 80's and 90's Japanese studios provided animation for quite a number of cartoon shows for the Western market, including fairly classic shows like Inspector Gadget, DuckTales, Thundercats, Animaniacs, the Real Ghostbusters, etc. I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but I do recall reading somewhere that Japanese studios at the time were open to the idea of producing animation work for American companies partially because the budgets were usually better than for their own domestic productions.

In any case, for me this was actually sort of my segue into anime, since I really liked the visual style of the outsourced Japanese animation work, which was very noticeably discernable from domestic US animation studios at the time and usually of a very good technical quality (the opening sequences for the original TMNT and Tiny Toon Adventures come to mind). Considering the cartoonier animation style and spirit of Little Witch Academia, it could be that Western markets appreciate the technical and visual look of anime portrayed in a cartoony atmosphere more so than the Japanese market.

Last edited by Kikaioh on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
I'm fine with the idea that not everyone will enjoy both, but it saddens me that fans in the US increasingly try to harass and ostracise one another about what kind of goofy foreign fetish cartoons they watch, like the general public sees any difference. We're all in this together, as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't agree more with this. But, it also implies that people's real hobby is watching/enjoying anime, as opposed to arguing about it on the Internet.* I mean, the regulars on this site often seem to be acting as little more than personas, playing their roles to keep the cycle going one more round. (Not trying to say it doesn't reflect honest opinions at some level.) They're not going to learn anything new from each other or get any sort of deeper understanding of their respective perspectives. They just enjoy the argument, and that's why they're here. If these US anime fans finally respected and accepted each others' varied tastes, and acknowledged each person's importance in the greater context of a rich and diverse anime community, how would they spend all the time they'd save?!

(But, as an outsider, it seems to me that this mentality is baked into the American psyche. The entire American political system is about creating two sides that exist only to take the opposite view about every point and argue about it to the death, and this is reflected in the media, and everywhere else. The answer is always somewhere in the middle... but then, what would there be to argue about?! ^^; )

* N.B. Most people enjoy both, I know. They're not mutually exclusive.

Anyway, as for this thread, obviously this is a topic about the cancelled event, but in the grand scheme of things, as others have suggested, the much bigger news is how one random anime short managed to find unexpected success with U.S. anime fans on the Internet. I imagine this has far exceeded even what the producers imagined to be possible, and others in the industry will no doubt be taking notice. A cancelled small-scale fan event in Japan is nothing in comparison.

Last edited by relentlessflame on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm sorry... when the heck did this post turn into yuri VS yaoi?

Never. And I read through all this thread because I thought it had and it didn't.

It's ten times funnier than any yuri vs yaoi could ever be.

Especially now that Chagen is being "prosecuted by yuri fans".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14