• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz licenses Black Cat anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
From Shonen Jump #34 (Oct. 05):

http://img41.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blackcat1et.jpg

Now, their wording is a bit strange here. We know that they have licensed the manga, so it's possible that they could just be referring to that, but the article is about the anime.

I'm surprised, as it's a Gonzo show. I thought they were best buddies with Funimation...?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I think they're using images from the anime to promote the manga, but then that was their statement on Hikaru No Go playing at their booth, so they could have gotten BC as well. Not sure if it would be a big enough seller to justify getting the anime just yet, but then the company needs more variety after being stuck with Inu Yasha and Ranma, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd want to diversify.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
From Shonen Jump #34 (Oct. 05):
http://img41.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blackcat1et.jpg
Now, their wording is a bit strange here. We know that they have licensed the manga, so it's possible that they could just be referring to that, but the article is about the anime.

Hmm... that is interesting. At this point I'll take it as they mean the manga. Sorry, but I really don't trust Viz these days, manga and especially anime-wise.

Quote:
I'm surprised, as it's a Gonzo show. I thought they were best buddies with Funimation...?

Every domestic licensor gets GDH stuff, there's no exclusivity. When it comes to FUNi getting Gonzo titles, as much as I like them, I'm annoyed as it seems to me that they're getting these shows just because it's a Gonzo title.

Also when it comes down to it being a Shonen Jump title, Shueisha might stick it's neck in and help pass it on to Viz to keep it in the family like Naruto. I doubt GDH'd be the international licensor in this case. Even so, VIZ recently got another Gonzo title -though that may be in Shogakukan's favor (either them, Toei or TFC)- in the form of the Saikano OVA.

I am such a credit whore Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1