• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Air Theme Plagiarised

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fflover2004

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:40 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm reading correctly, but although this album is called best collection, the music piece is a NEW title released just for the sake of this album. I don't think this is even a conincidence.

(原创风行版) - which translates literally, is "original composition verison".

i really feel ashamed for his actions. it not only spoils the good image of singapore(i'm a singaporean), it also going to cause a major uproar if this matter blows up.

hopefully he apologise publicly to all AIR fans(i'm one), and withdraw the composition from the album. let's solve it peacefully and not always resort to lawsuit cases.

tat's my point of view
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
I was going to say the song "Aozora" from Air sounds way to familiar to the old song "The Rose."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I was going to say the song "Aozora" from Air sounds way to familiar to the old song "The Rose."

First eight measures only. Nothing similar afterwards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
It should be read as "Tori no Uta was composed by Key, and fans of Air / Key have brought the issue up on the forum on Key's Official website

I have a little question here as a fan of I've Sound. If Orito Shinji is from Visual Arts/Key, and he composed the music, OP/ED to Onegai Teacher, then wouldn't that also make it that Key composed music for Onegai Teacher?

Or was it only I'VE (i.e. Takase, Nakazawa et al.) who composed the BGM to Onegai Teacher?

Also, is it possible for one to provide an .htm link to a location where you can stream music other than direct download? I know savvy users can find where to get the file, but can one do this to show how alike two songs are?

[EDIT]
I've found out the name of the song by Alan Tam. It's "愛情陷阱" (Ngoi Ching Hum Jeng). And what do you know. It's composed by the same composer of Megazone 23 VA opening theme "Senaka goshi ni Sentimental".
Looks like Serizawa Hiroaki had been composing a lot of Hong Kong pop music since the 1980s. So it's no wonder that "愛情陷阱" sounds so alike. Serizawa took parts from the opening of Megazone 23. Huh, guess it's not plagiarism then.

You can listen a little sample from HKVP.
http://hkvpradio.com/artists/alantam/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Loserbait

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The game came out quite a while ago. I remember I had the song something like 2 years ago. This is a terrible rip-off (in principle, otherwise it's quite well-played). I just wish he didn't rip-off a Lia track Sad
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Then again Japanese people also steal music too (Nami Tamaki's "Daitan ni Iki Mashou Heart & Soul" versus A-Teens' "Perfect Match") and same goes for the US (Vanilla Ice's music intro to "Ice Ice Baby" versus Queen's "Under Pressure"; Kaila Yu's music intro to "Just a dream" versus Lucia's song from Lunar 2 Complete). It happens a lot these days. =\
fflover2004

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
the above artist midori kou have mentioned have bought rights to re-sing the song again. i feel that this is ok as they paid copyrighted fees for it.

as for yong bang, he claimed in his album tat it's his original composition. so this is stealing.
Maceart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
As an AIR fanboy and a citizen of Taiwan, I feel that this person should be reprimanded for what he has done. AIR has quite an established fanbase in Taiwan (along with Kanon) and it came out two years ago. Unless this guy can prove that he composed this song more than 2 years ago, this is blatant plagarism.

Comparing this track with UNO's remix of Tori no Uta and the AIR piano Re-feel OST, it sounds exactly, note by note, the same. No, changing tempo doesn't count as creative artistry.
rislim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
American ways! Rolling Eyes Example: 'Another World' by Gackt was copied in the 2001 Josie And the Pussycats movie. But I can't for the life of me remember the name of the English song. - -; Sorry.

You Gackt fans are so backwards. The Josie and the Pussycats movie came out before Another World was even released. The movie was released in April 2001 while his single came out in September 2001. What did they do? Hop onto a time machine to "steal" his song? It's called "Three Small Words" by the way.

Date of Another World's release:
http://www.mahamari.com/story/disc.shtml

Date of Josie and the Pussycats movie release:
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1804476872&cf=info&intl=us
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
An update on this:

http://www.acg-dream.com/vbb/futaba/src/1125622768136.jpg

This guy's a singaporean musician, and he claims that he was NOT INVOLVED with the production of this CD. Every decision was made by his company and his manager. This song didn't even contain his singing (he's mainly a singer) Apparently he has held a press conference explaining this.

More information, if you could read chinese:
http://udn.com/NEWS/ENTERTAINMENT/ENT6/2876181.shtml

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/News/index.cfm?Fuseaction=Article&showdate=20050902
&Sec_ID=9&NewsType=twapple&loc=TP&PageType=ent&Art_ID=2019215
[/b]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
Apparently he has held a press conference explaining this.

No he hasn't, otherwise his official fan club would have expressed their joy.

I've contacted both Sony/BMG and his agency, What A Young. While Sony/BMG insisted that they were only responsible for distribution but not the content of this album, the agency told me to contact 季中平 (some sources wrote his name as 季忠平), the producer of this album, instead, for he's the one in charge of the entire production session. Yet he's in China now, and I wouldn't make an international phone call without a very good reason.

Right now it looks like all parties are trying to escape from responsibility as far away as possible. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
KasugaSan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quote
OMG...this is terrible!!! The piano piece sounds really good, if the artist didn't claim that it was his own composition!!! And credited the original composer
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. But, a sacred Japanese artist plagiarizing music from such a lowbrow source would be unthinkable! Which is why no one ever bothered to consider that Josie and the Pussycats might have come first.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
coulda swore i heard a japanese song that sounded exactly like a song from Grease...hmmm

beauty school drop out i think, yeah
Shii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
Exactly. But, a sacred Japanese artist plagiarizing music from such a lowbrow source would be unthinkable! Which is why no one ever bothered to consider that Josie and the Pussycats might have come first.
Talk about putting words in someone's mouth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3