• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Can someone knowledgeable in Japanese tell me the contextual difference between "曲" and "歌"? Both mean song if used as a noun, and the latter means "to sing" when used as a verb but what's the exact difference? Does "曲" refer to the composition (musical notes) whereas "歌" is strictly for songs with lyrics? Preliminary searches seem to imply that but don't clarify if "曲" can have lyrics or not. I got even more confused when I see Japanese comments using ""曲" about songs with lyrics.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:58 am Reply with quote
Okay so some time ago I saw an animated short/promo/teaser/trailer I think.

The piece of media in question was a guy who could make copies of himself pursuing a dog and the dog being defended by the hero who's power was to make himself and his opponents graffiti art then fighting in that form on the walls, streets etc like he shifted himself and the bad guys to another dimension/plane of existence.

I just can't remember what it was called and searching for it has given me no results though I know I watched it on YouTube.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all responses.
Xirix

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:51 pm Reply with quote
So, an anime I saw quite some time ago, so at least a decade old, just popped into my head, but I don't have much to go off of.

I'm unsure if it was an Isekai, but it was based in your typical magical world with mages and such. The only other thing I recall was there were two witch/mage/magician sisters, not sure if they were twins but they looked similar, who were both very deadpan -.- and flat chested, I think they had wizard hats too as part of their outfit.

I know that's not a lot to go off of, but if that rings any bells, I'll take any suggestions.
HoneyAlice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:58 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
Are there names for the different animation styles used in anime? For example, GitS SAC tends to use a realistic style, CLAMP a pretty-boy style, and recently seeing Air and the way it animated the females got me to wondering. I realize that customized models are constructed in a series' development, I'm just wondering if the general styles have terms attached to them.

Thanks for any help.

Hey, yes some of them are Ghibli: Named after Studio Ghibli and yeah this style is associated with the works of Hayao Miyazaki and features detailed, expressive, and hand-drawn character designs. "Spirited Away" and "My Neighbor Totoro" are examples

and for sure Chibi: This style is characterized by small, exaggerated, and super-deformed character designs with large heads and short bodies. "Azumanga Daioh" as an example
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:32 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine saw an anime back in 2017 about a character that lost an arm and leg via some kind of fire blast. But then said character proceeded to use their freshly cauterized arm stump to light a cigarette.
Rodimus_2316

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:29 am Reply with quote
Need help identifying certain anime movie from the early 90's.

All I can remember was that thus young man, his dad, and at least also an around 4-5 foot tall robot lived on a farm on this planet. It was attacked by a ship (or ships). They went down a path, then the path split to left and right. The young man went to the left (his right), and the father went to the other way, each reaching a ship. The robot decided to accompany the father. Both ships were trying to get away from the attacking ship (or ships), and the father had his ship get blown up so his son could escape, which he did. Other than that, all I can remember is that the young man much later found himself in a CGI maze, with CGI grey spiked balls chasing him around in it. Anyone know what this is? I've been trying to figure this out for a long time now.

Thanks. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:35 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
A friend of mine saw an anime back in 2017 about a character that lost an arm and leg via some kind of fire blast. But then said character proceeded to use their freshly cauterized arm stump to light a cigarette.

Ha ha, that's a pretty bad-ass image. Unfortunately, I can't help identify that but I hope somebody does because I'd like to see it. And sorry, Rodimus, can't help you, either.
Rodimus_2316

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And sorry, Rodimus, can't help you, either.

Thanks anyway. I'm pretty sure the anime movie came out in the early 90's. Is there any other way to check, like a list of all anime movies from around then, and detailed descriptions of them, or at least some description, and I could buy any that sound familiar until I know I have the right one?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:58 am Reply with quote
The closest thing that I am aware of to what you are looking for is here at ANN. If you click on Encyclopedia, at the bottom right, you'll see a section called Tools. Under that heading, you'll see a link called search by genre, theme, year. Click on that and you'll get to a screen that will allow you to filter by movies and production years. The potential problem for you is that some of the plot summaries are pretty limited so it may be a bit hard to find the one you are looking for.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, long time no see. I've been out of the loop with anime these last few years,

I wanted to ask for some recs. Not sure if this is the right thread, lol.

What would you say are the top must-watch anime of the last 5 years?
Any genre will do. Stuff I've been watching semi-lately are Demon Slayer, My Hero Academia (not really new, I started this way before my recent anime break) and I think I can really get into Spy x Family. Kaguya-Sama, Love is War looks like fun, too.

But besides that, what else is cool? Crunchyroll seems to have a million isekai (I don't mind, big fan of Sword Art Online).

Anything else you think I shouldn't miss?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
@ RGaspar - keying off the titles you have already listed which are certainly "big" shows, I would add: Dr. Stone, any of the Jojo's Bizarre Adventures you haven't seen yet (Stone Ocean is the most recent), Vinland Saga, Golden Kamuy, Goblin Slayer and Made in Abyss.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Blood-! I remember you from way back in the early 2010s, good to see you are still here.

I've heard about some of those shows! I haven't watched ANY Jojo, actually (been trying to start with friends but they don't seem too keen on the idea). Vinland Saga has some amazing art and I read good reviews of Golden Kamuy.

Made in Abyss is supposed to be a punch right in the feels, right? I like the idea.
Thought Goblin Slayer was trashy, or maybe that's the impression I got from all that hentai over the years, lol.

Again, thank you!
xeliw42651

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:30 am Reply with quote
So I just had this memory from my childhood watching cartoons on tv and there was this anime that I'd like to find.

Prob early 2000s, I just remember part of the opening credits where a girl with shortish orange hair is like, posing around the hachiko statue in tokyo during different seasons (fall, winter, etc..) https://kodi.software/
https://dltutuapp.com/tutuapp-download/[/url]

Last edited by xeliw42651 on Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
shosakukan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:52 pm Reply with quote
xeliw42651 wrote:
So I just had this memory from my childhood watching cartoons on tv and there was this anime that I'd like to find.

Prob early 2000s, I just remember part of the opening credits where a girl with shortish orange hair is like, posing around the hachiko statue in tokyo during different seasons (fall, winter, etc..)

Probably that is the opening credit-title sequence of the Super Gals! Kotobuki Ran anime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gals!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPFSayuHtE
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I posted this question in the retail section, but I figure I'll try asking again here...

A quick question for those who own the standard edition of the Violet Evergarden Complete Series on blu-ray.

For reference, this link:
https://www.amazon.ca/Violet-Evergarden-Complete-Taichi-Ishidata/dp/B08JF5DJLT/

Does this blu-ray collection include the OVA special - "Surely, Someday, You Will Understand Love" (The one about the opera singer) along with the standard 13 episodes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 568 of 569