• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Busou Shinki (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote

Busou Shinki (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, science fiction, slice of life
Themes: fanservice, female androids, living toys, moe

Plot summary: High school freshman Rihito, who just came back from abroad, started a new life in Japan with his four Busou Shinki, female action figures with weapons.
----------------------------------

I had not heard of this series until today, and I found out there had been an ONA done in 2011, so I watched that first. What I got from that was that this is a shameless plug franschise for selling action figures/dolls, to young men, with the joints being allowed to be shown. The anime is set in a world where humans have advanced technology to have intelligent, emotional robots at about 15 cm tall, and rather impressiveas of yet observed battery life. And they market them as being for the purpose of fighting each other with guns, swords etc, that they can summon. The ONA itself felt rather juvenile in its story, and even I could not accept some of the aweful story.

Now I have watched the first episode of this series, and we have 3 cute tiny robot girls who do everything they can to please their master who is starting highschool in Japan. But from the episode, it does not appear to be a highschool anime, no the focus looks like it will deal with what the tiny robots get up to.

It actually makes me think a lot of Chobits, especially reminds me of the little ones that were the focus of the Chibits special. I could say that I know this is a pretty shallow series in ways, but I also think it is the type of moe that I will likely enjoy. The little robots might make think of Infinite stratos in their combat forms, but why the robots have to be scantly dressed girls with probably mostly young boy owners that they refer to as master, seems to be nothing but pandering, but the best reason I could come up with was that they are meant to be pleasing. Likely will watch for the moe, but I don't really know what others think.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:45 am; edited 2 times in total
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
well so yea we have living female figurine dolls yea help their master also go battle mode armor mode like from IS.

hmm looking so far hmm & that hamster oh my yea go watch this to see it all.

yet if mix compare to other anime check chobits + angelic layer + Infinite Stratos + living female figurine =
Busou Shinki
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
I'll probably enjoy it for the mecha musume aspect. If this is closer to something like Hand Maid May crossed with Angelic Layer, it shouldn't be too bad.

By the way, before anyone goes ahead and calls it a ripoff, the idea of tiny robots fighting for their young owners wasn't started with Angelic Layer, but Plawres Sanshirou from 1983. Ideas get recycled more than you think.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Tbh, I enjoyed this first episode.

The humor and interactions with the three main characters (so far) was amusing to watch. It reminded me a little of Infinite Stratos, Angelic Layer, and Hand Maid May all at once given its premise.

Now regarding the ending, I guess that new character might be the ace of the four judging by her expressions. Anyways, not too shabby so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I got all sorts of feels when I watched the first episode and they were not happy feelings. They were feelings of lonliness.

My figurines will never wake me up in the morning, clean my house, or fall in love with me. Crying or Very sad What must I do to fulfill this dream?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
The unending march of technology:

Humanoid robots.
Artifical intelligence capable of emotions.
(Busou Shinki)
Basic competence at household tasks.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I got all sorts of feels when I watched the first episode and they were not happy feelings. They were feelings of lonliness.

My figurines will never wake me up in the morning, clean my house, or fall in love with me. Crying or Very sad What must I do to fulfill this dream?

And that idiot threw away his special cupboard too early just because of some sad Indian.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
i think i might actually like this one. kinda of adorable and remaindered me a bit of Hand Maid May. Seems Arn's a little badass especially when her berserk button is pressed
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I am a little confused, it feels like it is an adult version of those childrens shows which have pets doing things when their owners are away. Like adult version of Hamtaro, and it is kind of self aware, but going through the steps.

So Strarf (Hina) is spoiler[not happy with the possible future of not battleing, and is having trouble coming to terms with non battle environments. Now if we looked closely at this kid who collects dolls who are meant for fights, but instead uses them for we do not know what, we might find some real problems], but I do not think we are meant to look at it that much.

It is moe, you have tiny girls getting in fetishy outfits, different environments, and doing chores. Them being scared by the news was also entertaining for some reason. And the octopus bit would please certain people, Anime catgrin wouldn't say I hated that bit. And the other Shinki coming in for trouble seemed to hit a nostalgia nerve, was also entertaining.

I do think I will stay with this, nothing to make me dislike it, so onward.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
yeah, i feel the same way.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Rather interesting Chain of Deals Ann went through
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
This was a title that hovered on the drop list for eppie 1 and 2, but after hanging around for four, I think I'm here to stay. I episode 4 particularly charming. Totally empty intellectual calories, but kind of fun and cute.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
A race befitting of Dick Dastardly, one of the judges pretty much let anything go with a smile on her face, the other kept jumping into being rather extreme. Kind of sweet with Lene as my eyes got a bit watery, I found the reveal of Strarf humorous, as with Anne at the end. The whole spoiler[swapping] thing is kind of cliche, but it had me laughing.

What kind of teenager sleeps nowdays with a night cap.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
A race befitting of Dick Dastardly

Whacky Races?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
A race befitting of Dick Dastardly

Whacky Races?
Yes Whacky Races, I assume you have seen how some of the races go in that series, and how the neko duo in this put in way too much effort in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4