• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release First 3 Hetalia Manga Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Heck, Kodansha USA can have the rest of the Kodansha stuff! Razz

Kodansha USA didn't even finish releasing their own stuff when they stopped going through Del Rey and started doing their own: Moyashimon, My Heavenly Hockey Club, and Nodame Cantabile are all in limbo.

Let's also not forget Kodansha hasn't even worked on the titles they stripped from TP!! Initial D for starters.....
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
I don't mind Kodansha too much. I like their SM translation, and they seem to have some decent releases (though not quite as good as Yen Press). But yeah, they do need to finish off their Del Rey catalog. There are quite a few Kodansha titles that Tokyopop had that are currently in limbo, including some popular ones.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed May 02, 2012 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
As much as I hate Stu Levy I'd still like the 3rd volume. I'll buy it because I enjoy the series and I like having things complete.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
So only the "initial print run" of this will feature an 8-page color insert, and the rest will be in black and white...? Its bad enough that this will probably get printed onto toilet paper anyway, but...that's just not fair.

I don't want Stu to get my money. It feels like I'm paying someone just do unspeakable things to my back side Sad

Yet I love Hetalia so much, and I even have volumes 1 & 2 in English...and what about volume 4 when it comes out- assuming it does??

I just...really wish he'd let go of the license, and just give it to Yen Press.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
@animetoday wrote:
The scoop: We see your requests, & we're making note of them. We'd love to expand this program...

Because we know you hate it when you can't find the manga volumes you want! So...

If people buy the Hetalia vols, there's a possibility of more Hetalia... & similiar arrangements for other titles. (No promises, atm!)

So... people want Hetalia v. 3, but many are refusing to support Stu Levy. But for Rightstuf/Nozomi this is clearly an experiment that, if successful, could lead to them putting out more of the stuff that fans clamor for *coughFutureDiary11cough*. Failure would hurt Levy (and TokyoPop and Nozomi) but could also lead to TokyoPop's remaining licenses being either set free for rescue or drug down (again) into the abyss of licensing hell.

So do you support a man you hate in order to finally get what you've waited a year for, while possibly opening the door for other OOP titles? Or do you let them all fail to keep a cancer out of the business and risk never seeing these titles again? Decisions...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Eight full color pages?! I would be all over this if I was a fan.

BTW its $10.99. Isn't that a common price for North American graphic novels?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Imperialkat wrote:
So do you support a man you hate in order to finally get what you've waited a year for, while possibly opening the door for other OOP titles? Or do you let them all fail to keep a cancer out of the business and risk never seeing these titles again? Decisions...
Unless these titles are independant of the "cancer" they will just give it a way to grow. Sadly I vote to kill the "cancer" It has to be done.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
I'm not interested in Hetalia, but I welcome anyone experimenting with print-on-demand as a way to make out-of-print or unpublished volumes available. I hope the ill will toward Levy doesn't sink this.

I realize there are licensing problems, as standard print rights don't extend to print-on-demand. But there is so much stuff in limbo after the demise of so many publishers the past few years. In many cases there must also have been finished volumes that were deemed not worth the risk of a print run.

Even supposedly healthy publishers are stretching the time between volumes of some series to six months or more. I assume they're trying to spread out what they spend on print runs. (I wish more publishers would do what Vertical did to finish Twin Spica when it didn't sell as well as hoped, but that also probably gets into licensing, even just to put more pages in a volume.)

I've said before and I'll say again, I would gladly pay more money for print-on-demand to be able to buy what I want. (Especially light novels.) And it's quite possible for POD quality to be as high or higher than mass market or trade.

So good luck, Right Stuf!
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
I seriously doubt Stu Levy cares whether he makes money on this, since it shouldn't be costing him anything. Nozomi is sticking their neck out much further than he is, and it'll be unfortunate if they're the ones getting punished.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Honestly. I don't give a flying fig for Stu Levy after what he did with Tokyopop. But I do love Right Stuf, and probably about 99% of my anime/manga business goes to them, so I'm hoping for success for them. Hence why I decided I will buy Hetalia 3 and ask for more POD titles.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I just don't care about Hetalia, else I'd buy this just to support Right Stuf and this print-on-demand set-up. I may still yet buy one and give it to a friend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rheinhard

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm the co-author of the history notes on the first Funimation Hetalia DVD, and I also wrote a bunch of notes to go with the 3rd manga volume for Tokyopop before it went under. I already have these notes in the can and ready and to go if RightStuf wants to use them and include them with the 3rd volume, but I have no idea who to get in touch with to let them know about this. Anybody here know who to contact?
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Rheinhard wrote:
I'm the co-author of the history notes on the first Funimation Hetalia DVD, and I also wrote a bunch of notes to go with the 3rd manga volume for Tokyopop before it went under. I already have these notes in the can and ready and to go if RightStuf wants to use them and include them with the 3rd volume, but I have no idea who to get in touch with to let them know about this. Anybody here know who to contact?
Not an expert, but going straight to Shawne seems like the best option. shawnek at rightstuf.com
Rheinhard

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm generally a bit circumspect about directly contacting the head guy in charge and so on, if for no other reason than I expect they receive 8 million messages a day (especially about something as popular as Hetalia) and anything I write is (a) likely to be lost in the shuffle, and (b) they probably wouldn't know me from Adam, or anybody else in fandom. But I suppose it's worth a try.

Fortunately just before I sent this I got a message from another anime professional friend of mine with another staffer contact at Right Stuf who may be able to help...

Saffire wrote:
Not an expert, but going straight to Shawne seems like the best option. shawnek at rightstuf.com
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Get Aria and Gakuen Alice. Both Nozomi anime titles! Razz Unlikely, as this seems more like an experiment and Nozomi is careful about licensing, but I like to dream...

But dang, print-on-demand...and only three volumes.

Patience, grasshopper...

There are a lot of series out there where certain volumes have gone out of print, or where they may not yet have been finished for various reasons. This soft launch of our POD program hopefully will perform well and we will be able to convince people to work with us. There's nothing worse than getting into a series and finding out one volume is hard to come by and commands super-premium pricing in the secondary market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10