• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release First 3 Hetalia Manga Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that there's potential that series will be finished, but I'd be much happier is Toykopop would just give up and let its titles be rescued.
Oh, and hasn't Gakuen Alice been rescued by Yen Press?
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought Tokyopop held on to their licenses because they still publish titles in Germany?

This makes me so mad. Is Tokyopop/Stu making it seem like they're doing fans a favor by finally releasing a volume of manga that was already translated and ready to print last year?! What kind of game are they playing? They know that Hetalia has tons of fans, they've been sitting on volume 3 for a year, and suddenly it's "hey, guys, wouldn't it be fun if we released a limited edition through a singular website, ensuring that it won't see the light of day in bookstores or libraries? We'll even print a few more copies of the first two volumes! And if you miss the limited edition, feel free to pay as much money for something with less quality because we'll make all the volumes available via print-on-demand, ensuring we still fulfill whatever clauses were in the original licensing contract and we never have to revert the rights to someone else, ever!"

(I have no idea while they're really doing this and I have no ill will toward Right Stuf/Nozomi)

It seems to me that they're also sowing false hope amongst fans, because if anyone thinks this will lead to more volumes of Hetalia being released...well, I highly doubt it. Hetalia 3 was ready to go, but all the subsequent volumes will require them to hire translators, editors, graphic designers for the covers, etc, and I just don't see that happening. Not for Hetalia or any other title.

All I see is the indication that Tokyopop may still have exclusive rights to print various English volumes that they told us last year they no longer have the resources to print. That should be enough to tiff off any manga fan.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Mc-Taz wrote:
I think it's an interesting development. Obviously there was a good response to TokyoPop asking about Hetalia. I just hope RightStuf partnering with TokyoPop isn't going to cause problems for them. RightStuf has always been on top of their game, however, so I believe they will be all right.

As neocloud9 said I'd much rather see Gosick back in production, along with finishing up Future Diary and Battle Vixens, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet. I like that RightStuf is willing to try new stuff and I hope it works out for them.

Same here. While I myself didn't get into Hetalia's manga (with so much info. and world history I've found the anime easier to digest), but I'm always glad to see dropped titles get a second wind, in whatever way they can.

I'm a long-time supporter of Rightstuf so I wish them all the best with this new venture, even as I agree with the sentiments of a number of commenters here in regards to Stu Levy. At best I can say I strongly disagree with the direction he took the company, whatever his intentions.

That said, should this print-on-demand/limited time color pages offer do well monetarily, I'm still holding out hope for Maid-sama! to be rescued from limbo.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
*puts on jaded fan hat*

No Stu-free Guarantee*, no buy.

Seriously, the print quality of the first two volumes I bought of Hetalia was crap, and I don't expect future printings of this spoiler[cash grab] reprint to be any better. If I decide to rejoin the Hetalia fandom, I will be buying the anime instead.

*Guarantee void in Tennessee.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Per RightStuf's twitter:

@animetoday wrote:

The scoop: We see your requests, & we're making note of them. We'd love to expand this program...

Because we know you hate it when you can't find the manga volumes you want! So...

If people buy the Hetalia vols, there's a possibility of more Hetalia... & similiar arrangements for other titles. (No promises, atm!)

I submitted my requests for POD. Can't hurt. Might help.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Eternal Lover wrote:
Wait, why do people hate Stu Levy? Question

How much time do you have to spare? It'll take a good half a day just to cover the anime part of the company.

chefneer wrote:
It was announced at the time of the shutdown that TP's North American licenses would revert immediately to the rights holders. The fact that he still has a license for Hetalia 3 makes one wonder how many others he's clutching in his sweaty little hands, though.

I'm guessing that Stu "HERPDERP" Levy might still have the publishing rights to any translated manga TP did before the shutdown. Which is a scary proposition.

What 4Kids is to Anime, Stu Levy is to Manga.

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Tue May 01, 2012 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
momomochi

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm in agreement with "not giving Stu Levy" money. However I really would like to own volume 3....But 15 dollars with most likely a shipping fee for a manga is pretty steep. Even if I do want volume 3 what's the proof that the quality and translation won't be absolute crap? Do they even have the funding to do this? I would think printing so many thousands of copies would cost quite a lot of money...Unless rightstuff is helping them with that?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
momomochi wrote:
I'm in agreement with "not giving Stu Levy" money. However I really would like to own volume 3....But 15 dollars with most likely a shipping fee for a manga is pretty steep. Even if I do want volume 3 what's the proof that the quality and translation won't be absolute crap? Do they even have the funding to do this? I would think printing so many thousands of copies would cost quite a lot of money...Unless rightstuff is helping them with that?

I think we need to assemble as fans and tell Right Stuf that we won't support this release until we get reassurances that Stu Levy is not profiting off of this and his associations are absolutely nil.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well not saying you should buy it or anything but if you pre-order it, it's only $10.99 and if spend $50 or more you get free shipping so you could order it with other stuff. Also as far as the translation that was already done before TP when down so the quality is (I assume) about the same as the first two volumes.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Poor Rightstuff don't they know anything Stu Levy touches is destined to be a disaster? Any who hope this works out for them, I'm all for Nozomi expanding into manga, I would just prefer they leave TP & Stu out of the equation.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Any news on the remaining manga such as Aion, Qwaser Stigmata, Future Diary, Foxy Lady, Guardian Hearts, etc.?
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Damn...looks like I'm in a very small minority when it comes to this. I preordered the sucker the second I saw this article.

Stu Levy aside, I just want my volume. I was more than a little pissed off when we got the axe last year (to think the volume was supposed to come out two days from today last year) and quite frankly, I just want this.

I wasn't happy Tokyopop got this, though I remain firm that this, besides the cover changes, was one of their better releases. The color pages were great, the translation was adequate, and the panels weren't right in the damn spine.

I doubt the profit from this will be enough to get the fourth volume, as well as translators for it, and distribution for mass printing. After this, it's gotta be over.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Where the hell is Sgt. Frog? When Tokyopop shut down, a LOT of their manga titles went down with their ship, including REALLY popular titles like Fruits Basket. I honestly wish superior publishers like Yen Press would've picked up all the dropped manga titles when Tokyopop was killed last year. Heck, Kodansha USA can have the rest of the Kodansha stuff! Razz
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Heck, Kodansha USA can have the rest of the Kodansha stuff! Razz

Kodansha USA didn't even finish releasing their own stuff when they stopped going through Del Rey and started doing their own: Moyashimon, My Heavenly Hockey Club, and Nodame Cantabile are all in limbo.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Heck, Kodansha USA can have the rest of the Kodansha stuff! Razz

Yeah, so we can get more botched translations & missing extra content like with Sailor Moon, Negima & Love Hina. What a great idea! Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10