• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release First 3 Hetalia Manga Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
You should really attempt reading what people are telling you, before you respond. It's already been stated that TokyoPop no longer had the license. Right Stuf obtained it from the Japanese publisher. They are only using TP's translation because it's more cost effective than commissioning a whole new one.

The biggest issue people have is that Stu Levy still has a hand in the release. Period. Even if the licenses were reverted back to the original IP holders, the fact that Stu Levy helped out in the negotiations and the TP translations are being used is striking a nerve.

Compound the fact that Stu Levy tweeted that he thought manga was "outdated," his "side projects," abruptly shuttered TP on a whim and used another company's bankruptcy as a "reason" to shut down (nevermind the fact that the company at that point was a former shell of it's heyday and was like that due to poor mismanagement), then gallivanted to GLORIOUS NIPPON to harass Earthquake and Tsunami Survivors for a "documentary" (with a Kickstarter page added in to boot!), and cockteased Hetalia #3 like he was doing the fandom a favor......and your still wondering why people hate this idea?

The good Right Stuf is doing is being outweighed by the bad Stu Levy via association alone.

Quote:
True, Right Stuf could have just paid for a new translation, but when experimenting with a new business, it's best to keep your expenses in line. Keeping costs low make it much more likely they will succeed and we will see further releases.

Or spend the money to get a better translation and advertise this as a fact? From a marketing standpoint, promoting the new translations would show that this endevour is committed to producing a quality product. Using TP's translations given the history is a negative selling point in my mind.

Hell, if scanlations can do it for free, there has to be cheap translators that co....no, would do a better job than TP's bodge jobs.

Quote:
It seems to me that being mad over a TP translation is a pretty lousy reason to wish financial harm onto another company, or to force something would benefit manga fans to fail.

And women getting mad at Susan G. Kormen for the Cure over them cutting funding for Planned Parenthood because they stupidly used the whole abortion issue to cut funding was just women having their "time of the month"?

Alot of us would like Right Stuf to succeed in the idea, but the first attempt has too many holes in the hull to stop the water from coming in.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
I dislike Stu as much as many people do here, but blind unyielding hatred is just going to hurt us more than help us. Here we have a great way to potentially start a POD service, something many of us have wanted ever since seeing $100 single volumes go up on amazon for a series we really want to read (eyeballs Monster). I am not going to shoot myself in the foot over one stupid little man. As @professorblind said on twitter, the best way to shove it in Stu's face is to make the manga industry better than ever so that he can see what he lost out on.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
As @professorblind said on twitter, the best way to shove it in Stu's face is to make the manga industry better than ever so that he can see what he lost out on.

No, the only way to shove it into Stu's face is to completely cut him off from the industry period. No association, no business dealings, no negotiations, no nothing. Keeping him "in the loop" only adds to the grief. Shun him period. Make him not wanted.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
but blind unyielding hatred is just going to hurt us more than help us. Here we have a great way to potentially start a POD service, something many of us have wanted ever since seeing $100 single volumes go up on amazon for a series we really want to read (eyeballs Monster).

Yep.

Sunday Silence, your avatar ought to be one of those silly THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS pictures to suit the thread nicely. The very idea that fans should subvert and ignore what would be an indisputably great new initiative for the manga industry if it gets off of the ground, because Right Stuf even works with Levy in even the slightest degree...this is beyond shortsighted and unbelievably petty. Tokyopop is effectively gone and Levy is largely disengaged from the industry now. He's a minor factor in all this. This concept that you're somehow sticking it to the man if you boycott this is nothing but a vindictive, petty and false fantasy. In practice it means Hetalia fans are hung out to dry (seriously, you think anyone will seize on Hetalia if this fails?) and everybody gets less access to manga generally. Would you call that a victory?

I really just exhort & beg people to seriously listen to & absorb what Shawne Kleckner's been saying in this thread. Right Stuf's trying to both do good business and deliver for the fans. I hope it works out.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu May 03, 2012 9:12 am; edited 3 times in total
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
All righty then, I've chosen to get off the fence, and have ordered all three books. I've also sent my request for some desired titles.

Yes, Stu is going to get some money for it, but look at it this way: he's probably already been paid for this deal, at least in part, and not buying the books is not going to change that. He is also so efficient at flushing money down the toilet that his bank account may be a little skint by now, and anything he gets from this deal is bound to follow shortly. In the meantime, we will get a benefit that many of us have wanted very much to see - the potential revival of incomplete series.

So, like many here I'm not a Stu Levy fan, but this is an effort that we need to support. It may be our only chance to get some of our favorite stories back in print.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I really just exhort & beg people to seriously listen to & absorb what Shawne Kleckner's been saying in this thread. Right Stuf's trying to both do good business and deliver for the fans. I hope it works out.
Exactly. I don't even like Hetalia and I'm considering buying just so the venture gets a little more support.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
Exactly. I don't even like Hetalia and I'm considering buying just so the venture gets a little more support.

I'm actually leaning towards this too. The first couple of mini-eps for I saw left me...really unimpressed to put it mildly. I'm curious if the humor might come across a bit better in manga form (which is usually the case for me in comedy titles)
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:

No one is making you buy these books. If you are unhappy that we had to get the materials from Tokyopop, there's very little that I can do about that. My goal is to get the books into print. If I was to get other Tokyopop books back into print, I'd be in the same scenario. Having the items not in print at all seems to me to be the alternative, and that's what I'm trying to resolve.

All right, I've gone from "absolutely no" to sitting on the fence because it seems that this endeavor isn't going to 100% bring Tokyopop back from the dead, but while it is true that, yes, no one is forcing us to buy these books, the amount of passion about this whole thing evidenced in this forum is something to pay attention to. A lot of us are writing in this forum pretty much begging you to give us an excuse to go against our consciences and better judgment to buy this. We want to give RightStuf money and support POD; we just want to feel ensured that by doing so, we don't accidentally help Tokyopop come back, even if it isn't RightStuf's intention at all. Unfortunately, money is a binary vote-- I can't say that I like RightStuf and don't like Tokyopop with simple dollar democracy-- so I think that voicing our concerns here, expressing our wariness to spend that money, is the only way we can participate in a true producer-consumer conversation here. (Any way I can just write you a check to monetarily support your POD efforts? Kickstarter or something?)

I don't care about the "quality," or about the fact that the translations came from Tokyopop, even. I just want to do everything in my extremely limited consumer power to prevent Tokyopop from getting any ideas (because, as evidenced in this forum, I'm certainly not the only one who wants Yen Press to pick up Hetalia). I would hate for unexpectedly low-ish sales figures to be interpreted as a lack of interest in POD, so I hope these voices can help communicate that we love this idea-- we just don't like Tokyopop.

Quote:
The very idea that fans should subvert and ignore what would be an indisputably great new initiative for the manga industry if it gets off of the ground, because Right Stuf even works with Levy in even the slightest degree...this is beyond shortsighted and unbelievably petty. Tokyopop is effectively gone and Levy is largely disengaged from the industry now. He's a minor factor in all this.

Is this last part actually true? Because that would be a great reason for me to buy this. I think the reason there's a big storm about all of this is just that it's hard to understand if this purchase is The Thing that Stu Levy is looking at to determine whether he'll go back into manga publishing. While punishing RightStuf for merely associating with Tokyopop is indeed shortsighted and petty, aiding a company in preventing its licenses from going to better, more responsible companies isn't-- that's just capitalism.

Last edited by minakichan on Thu May 03, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eternal Lover

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I'm not such a hardcore anime fan, only been one for 4 years and only 15 with no job, Only having only about 40-50 mangas in my collection - that I'm saying this - but i find that some of you are pretty ignorant.

The reason why i asked why people hated Levy, cause i didn't understand what he did wrong? Sure he closed down Tokoypop and crushed a lot of my dreams - but so? In the end, he provided us english-speaking fans with a ton of great titles in the past. He has closed down - and this has hurt him much more than it hurt you guies. Sure i hate him to some extend, but will my hate for him overpower my love for manga? Hell no. If you want to complain, go and start a manga company and come back to lecture me. I'll be all ears.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Is this last part actually true? Because that would be a great reason for me to buy this. I think the reason there's a big storm about all of this is just that it's hard to understand if this purchase is The Thing that Stu Levy is looking at to determine whether he'll go back into manga publishing. While punishing RightStuf for merely associating with Tokyopop is indeed shortsighted and petty, aiding a company in preventing its licenses from going to better, more responsible companies isn't-- that's just capitalism.
Shawne's already said that Tokyopop doesn't have the license, and in fact Tokyopop doesn't have any of their old licenses. They're just using Tokyopop's materials because Hetalia 3 was already done.

Besides, if Stu Levy was interested in reviving Tokyopop, he would revive Tokyopop rather than taking this roundabout method. I can't imagine him being interested in something that isn't being directly controlled by him.

Edit: RightStuf's put up a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdsmQFiJmAI&feature=youtu.be
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Eternal Lover wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm not such a hardcore anime fan, only been one for 4 years and only 15 with no job, Only having only about 40-50 mangas in my collection - that I'm saying this [b]- but i find that some of you are pretty ignorant.

The reason why i asked why people hated Levy, cause i didn't understand what he did wrong? Sure he closed down Tokoypop and crushed a lot of my dreams - but so? In the end, he provided us english-speaking fans with a ton of great titles in the past. He has closed down - and this has hurt him much more than it hurt you guies. Sure i hate him to some extend, but will my hate for him overpower my love for manga? Hell no. If you want to complain, go and start a manga company and come back to lecture me. I'll be all ears.

I was gonna explain the sorrid history of how Stu Levy became to be reviled by manga and anime fans, but your complete disrespect for others doesn't warrant the time and effort in even bothering to help you understand why some of us feel the way we do.

While you have the right to agree to disagree, acting snotty like you know it all only will get you into trouble.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Eternal Lover wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm not such a hardcore anime fan, only been one for 4 years and only 15 with no job, Only having only about 40-50 mangas in my collection - that I'm saying this [b]- but i find that some of you are pretty ignorant.

I was gonna explain the sorrid history of how Stu Levy became to be reviled by manga and anime fans, but your complete disrespect for others doesn't warrant the time and effort in even bothering to help you understand why some of us feel the way we do.

While you have the right to agree to disagree, acting snotty like you know it all only will get you into trouble.

Of all the posters on this forum to call someone snotty or complain about their disrespect for others, and that fact that you did so in an even ruder fashion that the post you are responding to. Bravo!

If the original poster is really 15, I have to say that they restrained themselves quite well. I've seen much older posters on this forum that have had posted things that are much more arrogant and disrespectful, including some in this very thread.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Hell, if scanlations can do it for free, there has to be cheap translators that co....no, would do a better job than TP's bodge jobs.

Well since you are such a master of the Japanese language, have such a keen business sense (which manga company do you run by the way?), and believe someone would do it for free or next to nothing, then why don't you offer your services? If they're cheap enough, I'm sure Right Stuf would consider. Laughing
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
So, how many unicorn-puppy hybrids did this Stu Levy guy rape and leave to starve in a gulag as political prisoners? It must have been more than three, because otherwise this is all kind of petty and infantile.

This is where fandom becomes incomprehensible to me. I just can't take bloody comic books this seriously or imagine taking it this seriously. The sheer outrage and loathing that some people have directed at Stu Levy seems ludicrous. This is the kind of hatred and shunning that's appropriate for Bashar al-Assad or Muammar Gaddafi, not some guy who took your precious nerd gold away from you, no matter how much of a jerk he is. Sometimes to get something that you want, you must compromise or accept things that don't entirely please you. You can refuse to budge or relent, but then all you end up with a sense of your own sense of righteousness, which isn't really worth anything to anybody.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Here we have a great way to potentially start a POD service, something many of us have wanted ever since seeing $100 single volumes go up on amazon for a series we really want to read (eyeballs Monster). I am not going to shoot myself in the foot over one stupid little man.
Oh, this. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, people. This could be awesome. I'll be buying* vol.3 mainly because I want vol.3, but I'll also be hoping that more titles come out of it. My personal wish list includes Planetes vol.3 & vol.4 part 1 (TokyoPop) and Flower of Life vol.4 (DMP) (which I was just lamenting about in the "Hidden Gems" thread in the Manga section for not buying it when it was available). And I know there are others I can't recall off the top of my head, not to mention entire series I wrote off trying because of how legendarily OOP certain volumes are.

*Edit: Make that "I bought."

Last edited by poonk on Fri May 04, 2012 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10