• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Court Orders Singaporean ISPs to Name Illegal Anime Downloaders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
As I implied earlier, I think the RIAA is going to keep a close eye on this one to see if they can implement it in the US.

LOL...RIAA == Music....MPAA == Movies and home video. Here's the catch, VERY FEW anime movies and TV shows are associated with companies that are members of the MPAA. 99% of the stuff in America, if pirated, will have to be pursued by the company itself.

That being said, I have a feeling that's why the companies are trying to guilt trip everyone about fansubs. At several conventions there have been "people in the industry" speaking out about how "fansubs are wrong"...they probably feel that there is a chunk of fansub downloaders with morals and if they can guilt trip them into ONLY buying DVDs then their profits can increase. One probably wonders "why don't they speak out about the massive amount of DVD ripping groups?" I think this is probably because MOST people who download DVD rips won't give a crap nor will be "guilt tripped" by their speeches, so they don't bother.
the_chap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
I guess it all boils down to quality.

Basically, in Singapore, there're 3 choices for you. Buy their products, import it, or download it. To put it into more humorous context, let's assume they're all food.

Would you prefer to,

a: Buy shit wrapped in newspaper*
b: Buy expensive sushi which tastes alright but take a long time to serve
c: Eat great sushi in large variety served almost immediately which costs almost nothing

'A' being Odex, 'B' being imports and 'C' being fansubs.

* There are claims on the internet about Odex having poor quality products in poor quality packaging.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:06 am Reply with quote
the_chap wrote:

It's more like a) buy very, very expensive sushi which tastes alright but comes in tiny little portions and takes a long time to serve or b) buy expensive sushi that comes in slightly bigger portions and takes a long time to serve.
tueac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
apprenticex wrote:

Well, the deal was said to be made to get Singapore more anime, so we'll see what new stuff comes out. I hope Haruhi (just like Malaysia has it shown on TV, late at night)...

I kinda believe what caused the fall in sales was coz of the increased amount on anime shown on TV in Singapore. We had Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist... and we also have access to Animax Asia.
Note: Animax has nothing to do with Odex, its an Asian branch of the Japanese Animax channel (i think), so we've been getting quite a lot of new stuff through this, like tsubasa chronicle II and Fate-stay night.

Well other then those on animax, the rest are from odex... yes even the NTV7's Haruhi, which for dunno what reasons is not shown in singapore... TV rights to expensive?
tueac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
Kibamaru wrote:
I'm a Singaporean, I download animes because even after a series is licensed here, it takes about 1-2 years (I'm serious) for it to be available on VCD/DVD. Some NEVER make it at all and it's simply licensed but nothing happens.

It's been cmpared many many times that the DVDs have poor image quality, and RUMORs say that they rip off the subs from fansubs or chinese bootlegs and then translating them to English. While they are rumors, many wil just regard is it is the case. We have yet to see a decently subbed series.

As for language, they make silly decisions on some titles (most prominently Bleach) by having Japanese/Chinese dub, but the subtitles are in Chinese. What gives? So if you don't understand Japanese or Chinese then I guess to bad?

Their Chinese/English dubs are monotonous. They don't have any QCer.

So it's common sense to resort to free fansubs with quality as opposed to paying for crap. I've browsed through the AdultSwim forums sometime back. Apparantly Odex does dubs for Geneon in America too eh? I saw the comments on the dubs were pretty bad too even from the perspective of a non-Singaporean. So you could get a rough ida on how crappy their work can get.

Also, if u wanna get the whole picture, don't just read the papers. They're kinda biased. Odex is in denial and refuses to admit that their crappy works is also a cause for the drop of sales in their produts. THey just easily put the blame on fansubs and go on STEALING milions of dollars from us.

Pfft. Odex make 4Kids' work amazing.

Sorry dude, but you got the wrong company here. Bleach is not licensed by ODEX, by right odex do not have to cared about it, by TV tokyo ask them too, in writing... blame poh kim for bringing in taiwan imports rather then producing their own version.

And how long ago have you not bought an odex release... and how long ago have you bought an original release...

If you don't like ODEX release, you can always import... Oh they are not as fast as you demanded also... then download at your own risk...

ODEX have already admitted that their old releases almost crappy but they are changing... VOD services to bring you the latest releases is about to start. Currently it in the debugging stage.
tueac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
tamiko wrote:
Calculusman wrote:
Well, if they're limiting this to downloading anime that Odex has already licensed in Singapore, then I don't really see how people have any argument against Odex.

Complaints about advertising and quality aside, being licensed is being licensed and though, that's what your stuck with.

I was kind of irked when some ISPs appeared to give out information even without a court order, but this time they got a court order, so I'm not really sure there is much to complain about here.

I can understand where you are coming from, however there is a lot more 'dodgy-ness' than meets the eye. Just observing some facts from the sideline:

1) There was no prior warning issued from Odex prior to them sending a letter that basically says 'come meet us to discuss this or we will press charges' - and as far as I'm aware, legal processes generally require the prosecuter to send out fair warning prior to action.

2) The discussion is really them asking for settlement, so should you decide to comply (ie everyone so far), you have to sign a letter of undertaking that hardly represents a legit legal document (you will understand what I mean if you get a chance to read it). In fact, there are clauses that state, among others, the right for Odex to show the letter of undertaking to third parties (nature unspecified) as they deem fit, while you are obliged to keep it confidential.

3) Odex is charging for infringement of copyright on backdated downloads from as far as 2 years ago, when the 1st batch of letters was sent out only in May (without prior warning).

4) The authenticity of the distributorship is also in question - from what I understand they may not have the rights for some of the titles they are claiming settlement on, while some other licenses were only acquired on a post-dated basis, for e.g. they might be charging infringement of copyright for something downloaded in March when they may have gotten the rights in June.

While there are flamers and such in external forums, there is also a fair share of older, more mature anime watchers who have given very valid points questioning the authenticity of Odex's motive, which have not been raised in the news reports nor answered by Odex.

1) Remember HIP alliances warning: It is not file sharing, its stealing!
2) The Third parties outside of AVPAS might be their members who owns most of the rights.
3) They didn't backdate to 2 years ago. They said that they can keep the evidences for the valid date of up to 2 years.
4) as i said above, ODEX is acting on behalf of AVPAS's members which are the animation studios of Japan. Each title is asked in writing by the studios to enforce the rights.

And that is true. alot of very helpful people are still correcting many people with a misconception of the news and information. making the water alot muddier... or confusing...
tueac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
the_chap wrote:

It's more like a) buy very, very expensive sushi which tastes alright but comes in tiny little portions and takes a long time to serve or b) buy expensive sushi that comes in slightly bigger portions and takes a long time to serve.

Odex's products are not expensive...(S$39.90 aka US$20 for 13 episode) but they have the same video transfer quality and good sound. Their subtitling is of a "you can understand what the people are saying easily" standard.

But without the goodies... like extra... like many reviewers like to say, its a economically packed release.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
tueac wrote:
blame poh kim for bringing in taiwan imports rather then producing their own version.

Some clarification: Taiwan does not have Bleach "licensed." The general license of SE Asia was acquired by MediaLink; the regional distributor in Taiwan is Hi-Yu International.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
starcade wrote:
As I implied earlier, I think the RIAA is going to keep a close eye on this one to see if they can implement it in the US.

LOL...RIAA == Music....MPAA == Movies and home video. Here's the catch, VERY FEW anime movies and TV shows are associated with companies that are members of the MPAA. 99% of the stuff in America, if pirated, will have to be pursued by the company itself.

I'm basically talking about how people are going to take a look at this from the perspectives of the RIAA and the like. Look, this is no longer a problem that has national borders -- you've got YouTube being sued by Australian interests (and I'm still waiting for the JASCRA lawsuit)...

l33tmeatwad wrote:

That being said, I have a feeling that's why the companies are trying to guilt trip everyone about fansubs. At several conventions there have been "people in the industry" speaking out about how "fansubs are wrong"...they probably feel that there is a chunk of fansub downloaders with morals and if they can guilt trip them into ONLY buying DVDs then their profits can increase. One probably wonders "why don't they speak out about the massive amount of DVD ripping groups?" I think this is probably because MOST people who download DVD rips won't give a crap nor will be "guilt tripped" by their speeches, so they don't bother.

That's fine -- and they can do that at their own peril.

I'm beginning to think that this age of a lot of anime with a lot of companies in the States is about to come to an end. You've got a significant downturn in the American economy coming on like a runaway freight train. Navarre is cannibalizing the #1 company in America for God-knows-what reason...

I mean, it's a guilt trip -- fine. But the problem is that you have a situation that -- frankly put -- anime is too expensive of a hobby for a lot of the fans which choose it.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
I mean, it's a guilt trip -- fine. But the problem is that you have a situation that -- frankly put -- anime is too expensive of a hobby for a lot of the fans which choose it.

The problem with that is, 90% of anime is direct to DVD releases, which requires them to charge the prices they do in order to make a profit. If that is the case, the only shows we will continue to get are the ones that are marketable enough to show on TV, as that is where they would get then bulk of their money. Keep in mind that boxsets don't make them enough money to justify the entire process they put into the series.
starcade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
starcade wrote:

The problem with that is, 90% of anime is direct to DVD releases, which requires them to charge the prices they do in order to make a profit. If that is the case, the only shows we will continue to get are the ones that are marketable enough to show on TV, as that is where they would get then bulk of their money. Keep in mind that boxsets don't make them enough money to justify the entire process they put into the series.

Correct, but not my point.

My point is that there is a large number of fans who just download the stuff and probably couldn't afford to continue in anime to any meaningful extent if they were unable to do so.

(And what you are suggesting is where I see anime going to at some point soon -- no more "C" titles and fewer and fewer "B"'s...)
zylias

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
tueac wrote:

Sorry dude, but you got the wrong company here. Bleach is not licensed by ODEX, by right odex do not have to cared about it, by TV tokyo ask them too, in writing... blame poh kim for bringing in taiwan imports rather then producing their own version.

And how long ago have you not bought an odex release... and how long ago have you bought an original release...

If you don't like ODEX release, you can always import... Oh they are not as fast as you demanded also... then download at your own risk...

ODEX have already admitted that their old releases almost crappy but they are changing... VOD services to bring you the latest releases is about to start. Currently it in the debugging stage.

Ok, we don't know who is "poh kim" and neither do we work in Odex, nuf said. Why do we have to buy Odex release? How long we bought an original release has got nothing to do with this. Anime downloading has been in Singapore for more than 6 years, kid. There was even sg's anime distribution channels in irc back then. Odex claim that recent year's sales has dropped significantly. Have they asked themselves if they've ever kept up with the technology? VCDs at this age? lol?

Odex is changing? VOD? Lol, they can spend more than 6 months solely on suing people, whining about downloaders in papers and their site remains "Under Construction" during these period, they're certainly changing. Why provide VOD after u sued so many people for downloading? No confidence in your service over the fansub?

And finally, its all talks, no actions been taken, they had been like that, and still is. Misconception u say? They are the one to post in the news paper article about their one-sided views. Your the one to talk here, all that you've said are not even facts that anyone of the us can prove. And people decided what the situation is to them through FACTS posted online. What u said are obviously sided with Odex, how about explaining to us what is your relation with Odex?
sleepy_pig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
>Well, if they're limiting this to downloading anime that Odex has already licensed in Singapore, then I don't really see how people have any argument against Odex.
>
>Complaints about advertising and quality aside, being licensed is being licensed and though, that's what your stuck with.
>
>I was kind of irked when some ISPs appeared to give out information even without a court order, but this time they got a court order, so I'm not really sure there is much to complain about here.

What people rightly do have a problem with Odex is that they are far from being the ethical company that even deserves to get money from anime fans anywhere.
Besides lying, recent newspaper articles is not too glamorous on all anime fans in general. It makes Odex villifying anime fans to the general Singapore public, making all of us fans look like illegal downloaders or endorse it.

http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/rehashplus/post.htm?id=63000177

Odex's actions so far is definitely wrong. Unfortunately they obviously no sense of right or wrong, just a sense of whether they can get more money out of the legal situation in Singapore.

Imagine if the only company you have a monopoly of all anime licenses in the US is Streamline 15 years ago, and it goes out and basically sends a letter to all anime club fans asking them to pay $5000 to settle without any prior warning. Even if the only licensed anime available in the market were Streamline dubs of Battle of the Planets.

Of all the efforts us fans have tried to support licensed anime in the past, this is how a local distributor rewards the fans, by slapping letters asking the parents of those downloaders to pay up, instead of warning them first.

The stupidest thing they did was go after the anime fans, the consumers who are also trying their best to support licensed anime. Boycotting the company shouldn't even begin to put things right - as fans we should do everything in our power to make sure they are out of business so a better company that actually deserves anime fans' money can take over the licensing rights they now don't deserve to hold.

So far there are things being talked about that I hope fans all over the world can support:
- Pool in money to buy license rights from Odex
- Create a fan oriented company that provides odex with competition or even DVD production services.
- Boycott Odex prodcuts
- Parallel import US and Japanese original DVDs in place of Odex products
- Create for-profit Anime clubs to pool resources to purchase foreign materials, hopefully introducing fans to not purchase Odex's products and bring their market to a halt.
- Go to the retailers to talk them out of selling Odex products
- Complain to the consumer association of Singapore to complain about Odex's knock-off quality products

For anime fans, it even a lot better to have Odex go out of business and not have any locally licensed anime in the short run than to deal with Odex in the long run.

If any international anime fan is out there, please pledge your support by giving ideas, they will be apprecaited.

http://blog.codefront.net/2007/08/20/most-sensible-post-on-the-odex-controversy-in-singapore/
http://sgcafe.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3