• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pikachu Lookalike Appears, Pokémon Co. Mulls Response

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Heh. I hear you on that. Smile

Part of me is wondering if this is truly the original artwork or not. Honestly, it looks to me like someone saw the picture of the costume posted here at ANN and made the drawing in a program like MS Paint; in fact, it looks a lot like the type of drawing my 13-year-old would do in a program like MS Paint.

In other words, yes, I am questioning the authenticity of the drawing that MSN Japan posted. Let's be honest for a moment: It's so easy for people to post something fake on the Internet and make it seem convincing enough that major websites and news outlets pick up on it and declare it to be true.

With that said, I want to make it absolutely clear that I am not accusing the person who provided the link to MSN Japan of lying if it turns out the picture is a fake. I believe that the poster provided the link in good faith. Smile

enurtsol wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
I just took a look at that picture. It looks like a cross between Pichu and Pikachu.

If this is indeed the company's original illustraton, then the claim that this looks nothing like Pikachu is quite laughable.

That's the hazard with simplistic faces that anime/manga generally utilizes. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 am Reply with quote
That drawing STILL looks like Pikachu to me. Maybe Pichu.
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
hulkchu na i think it looks cool
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
It's a fusion of a Pikachu and Mameshiba!

I hope it was a sacrifice fusion or it's going to be steamrollered by most demons.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Gen 1 = Pikachu and Raichu
Gen 2 = Pichu, Marill and Azumarill
Gen 3 = Azurill, Plusle, Minun
Gen 4 = Pachirisu (Oh heck yes. Their names even follow the same structure in Japanese.)
Gen 5 = Emolga

Anyway, I would find it absolutely hilarious if we got a grass-type Pikachu in the next game, and GameFreaks claimed that it was not a copy of Ecoha-chan.[/b]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
Get rid of the red dots (that's the worst of it) and recolor or reshape the eyes, maybe some eyebrows, add an original accent somewhere other than the cheeks and they would have been golden.

The shape of the head is generic, the ears are original- it should be easy to fix as long as Nintendo doesn't demand they start all over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Minccino and Cinccino could be Pikachu-like generational mascots as well, if we're going to count Raichu, Marill, and Azumarill. I believe it was introduced before Emolga and was designed by Atsuko Nishida, the designer of Pikachu.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
Nintendo's just angry that they stole their idea for a new Pokemon.

With all of the Pikachu copies they make every generation, I wouldn't be shocked.

Gen 3 = Azurill
Gen 4 = Pachirisu (?)
Gen 5 = ????

How could you forget Plusle and Minun? They were the absolute worst.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, I actually use Plusle and Minun online. It's because people think so lowly with them that I can tear through teams with them.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
If you're tearing through teams with Plusle and Minum, your opponents are awful. If you can't put one Electric immunity on your team when electric is one of the most common types used in competition, then you (not you Leafy) deserve to lose every battle you play in. I'll give you that people underestimate a Choice Specs, Plus/Minus, Helping Hand boosted Thunder from a modest Plusle/Minun, but tearing through a team is poor form on your opponent. Have your opponents never heard of Ground types, Volt Absorb, or, since this is most likely doubles, Lightning Rod? I'd have to perform seppuku if I got overwhelmed by a Plus/Minus combo.

/Pokemon Nerd Rage
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Heh, I actually specialize in Pokémon other people neglect. Part of the point of the team is to lure in Ground-types--the very first Pokémon I ever took down online with Plusle, for instance, is Rhyperior. (Yes, this is a double battle team.) I don't feel as good winning with Pokémon everyone else has been using with the strategies they're using. I'm a nonconformist.

EDIT: By the way, I'm hoping for Nintendo to release a promotional Pikachu with Recycle and Razor Leaf. It'll be hilarious.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
Nintendo's just angry that they stole their idea for a new Pokemon.

With all of the Pikachu copies they make every generation, I wouldn't be shocked.

Gen 3 = Azurill
Gen 4 = Pachirisu (?)
Gen 5 = ????

How could you forget Plusle and Minun? They were the absolute worst.

Answered your own question.....my work here is done.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Get rid of the red dots (that's the worst of it) and recolor or reshape the eyes, maybe some eyebrows, add an original accent somewhere other than the cheeks and they would have been golden.

Too complicated.

Here's the best solution: ignore people who are calling this thing "Pikachu" (which is questionable from the start) and allow it to continue educating children on recycling, a program they'll need since their parents are more worried about copyright infringement than the planet.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:02 am Reply with quote
Well, they certainly did a great job recycling Pikachu.

(That joke was made before, right? I haven't the whole thread, but it should have been made.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3