• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dimension W

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Have only saw episode two and three. Missed the first episode on Toonami.

I liked what I saw. Sure the animation wasn't the greatest, but at least I was interested in the show. While info dumps can be boring, I am more worried about the animation quality and the story.

Does the animation really spiral down after this, or is it just hit or miss?
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
It's hit or miss, it never significantly goes down but there's a few weak point.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
RE ep 11:
Someone put Gabriella out of her misery.

And me too. I will be so glad when this show limps to an end.

This review was worlds more entertaining than the show was. Over the past few reviews it's like I've seen Gabriella's patience for this show slowly decline and now we've reached the point where we throw our hands in the air and say "f*ck it".

My main gripe is that they keep setting up for cool looking battles, then either stop the battle before anything happens in order to talk about stuff, or they swap the focus to some other group of characters who are just talking. They keep doing it. Please let me see one nice battle that isn't continuously interrupted. The nice animation and battle concepts are being completely wasted. This whole arc keeps hinting at big battles that never come.

Let it end. Please.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Overall, Dimension W started out promising, stood on shaky ground until about episode five, and then threw itself off of a cliff.

There has never been a more apt description of this show. I swear, reading the reviews for each episode on this site has more entertainment value than the actual show itself.

All in all, Dimension W was disappointing. I'm not sure if the show would have improved if it had more episodes or not but I think some of the core problems of this show are too deeply entrenched to be fixed with just more airtime. I've only read a couple chapters of the manga so I don't know and the anime certainly isn't motivating me to go read more.

Well, at least Mira was cute.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Complete schlock. Just the usual telling,and not showing.The only entertainment value was some of the hilarious faces Seameyer would make. And then it just ends,but you don't care about any of the resolutions.

By far one of the phoned in productions I've seen in quite awhile. Started off decent,and just devolved into a bunch of tell,and don't show storytelling(you're visual medium for ****'s sake). The characters had no depth or development,and most of the cast was superfluous. It never had one good action scene at all with them all being visually boring,shot poorly,and having no emotional pull to them. Phoned in garbage at the end of the day,which is disappointing considered the amount of potential it had.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I definitely think that Gabriella is being harsh on Dimension W, but if C- is the overall grade for the whole series, I agree with her.

I also saw potential at the start of this show, but I was going to be surprised if it became more than a B grade quality anime, mainly because the premise/concept was done to death by older shows from 15-20 years ago. Dimension W is not a good show, but it is not bad in my opinion. I give it a So-so rating.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
While I don't share the vehemence of the reviewer and some commentors, I will admit it is a disappointment. It did seem at the beginning to be a serious contender, though not at the same level as the top rung this season, but did not live up to that. Personally, this does not make it bad or garbage, just a disappointment. I have seen how hype/expectation backlash can effect people's impression of shows, and this is no different. This is why curb my own expectations, a methodology I have mentioned on this site many a time.

That being said, one might call the reviewer the reviewer harsh towards the show, in the end, I will say they were fair. I too thought it was good that Mira didn't end up being Miyabi, which would have been a bit much.

And of course Mira is cute too.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I was honestly surprised that Yurizaki Shido blowing himself up in the first episode ending even being remotely relevant to the ending; he didn't die, he just became a thought body in Dimension W to give Mira a new coil when her old one was about to go kaboom!

...Still another example of DW's bad plotting, but they managed to bring it in at least. But really, who thought haphazardly throwing in a final boss eight episodes in without a single hint of foreshadowing was a good idea?
GregoriusU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't exactly say that it threw itself off of a cliff--that would've required a WTF? ending that came out of nowhere and totally screwed up everything that had gone before in a totally unsatisfactory manner. What I WOULD say was that it became entirely too predictable with new characters introduced for obvious convenience value, had a scientific mumbo-jumbo background that had as many holes as a sieve, and a male MC who steadfastly insisted upon remaining an A-hole. I was entertained enough by the cute android to remove the - from the C-, but I definitely wouldn't add a +.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
There's a line that Mira says that more or less sums up the problems with the show's logic. I don't remember it specifically (it isn't short and snappy like, say... "Just because you're right doesn't mean you're correct"), but it went something along the lines of "believe in the memory of the possibility of the chance of the blah blah blah of your dead girlfriend." Something like that. The ending was weird, there wasn't really any character growth, and the only relatively interesting character died of blood loss after falling for the least believable 'look it's that person you care about' trap I've ever seen. He may as well have held up a drawing of Sophia's face. That, and Dr. Yurizaki's role in the plot was complete nonsense.

Uuuuuggggghhh. It could have been SO much better...
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Dimension W was a fun action sci-fi series with 2 likable main characters(of the emotionally distant male badass with a cute female partner he has to warm up to variety) and a nifty premise involving the collection of energy from another dimension with cool references to the work of inventor supreme, Nikola Tesla. Dimension W was one of the better shows this season.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Pity. I wasn't expecting Cowboy Bebop but I was expecting this to be better than it turned out to be. I agree that the worst shows are the ones where it's a bad show but can see how if they'd just made a few tweaks here and there it could have been a good or even great one. Better character development and a director more suited to the show's style would have made all the difference.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You can even pull up that clip of Sonic getting punched in the nuts, close your eyes, and pretend it's Seameyer for some quick stress relief. It worked for me!

LOL! I bailed on this just after Toonami started airing it, since I figured I'd end up watching it there anyway, and it wasn't feeling good enough to watch twice. But I kept reading the reviews for their entertainment value, and it seems I made the right choice.

One thing I did like was Kyouma's wardrobe. It looks very comfortable.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I think there another thing going on.

Dimension W's manga never got to the point (as far i know) where anime got. I don't think they match up well to what story the manga telling. They dropped alot stuff out it to stick with main story line which manga didn't focus on.

That said, i think story ended ok. Wrap up in the end look like incomplete episode they slapped in there so give sense of completion.

Aside from the coil that Mira received, i don't know what else they could go on. How many illegal numbered coils are left until Kyouma goes out of business when the last of them are found.

The world still under the repressive thumb of New Tesla.

I won't have slapped a C- for rating on it, It's given it a D on part of the producers for rushing this thing to fast without character growth. Typical American impatience get something done quick and save costs. Sad.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
I am beginning to think the reviewer just doesn't like the show...I'm so glad I checked out at Ep2 for BBK/BRNK. It seems these two shows were inverses of each other, DW cliff-diving at Ep5 and BBK managing a pull-up about Ep8. Sorry guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13