• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
@ Polycell - I picked up on that as well. Presumably, that's why the Student Council was so keen to spoiler[make sure the school fields a winning tankery team: I'm assuming somehow that will stave off school closure.]
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
My pet theory, based partly on a local happening: spoiler[Ooarai spent way too much on a stadium and couldn't recoup the cost form sponsorships as planned, so the only hope of saving the school from bankruptcy and academic raiders is to win the championship and induce people to invest/sponsor the school].
Zork

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
It's amazing how little chatter I'm seeing over the episode's most important line. Did everybody just miss the bit where Arisa says spoiler[Ooarai's about to be shut down]?

I also can't help but wonder if this Takashi might be relevant in the future.

Well, the Student Council VP said something similiar in Episode 1 when Miho was called before the Student Council to explain why she didn't pick Tankwando. It just seemed to me Arisa was just reaffirming what was already known.

And I know I mentioned this before, but the little animation touches in this series continue to amaze me. Like when the commander of the Type 89 was almost bounced off of the tank when it came to a stop in front of the Saunders flag Sherman, and how she was almost thrown off again when it started to run away. And I like the way they have Mako's hand shift positions on the gear shift lever when she is shifting gears. They easily could have had her grab the shift lever like she was grabbing a ski pole and shift with no hand movement at all.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
FD2Raptor wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
Episode 6

Now, I realize the Type 89 has a weak gun, but if it's so weak that, spoiler[upon having a clear shot at the side of a tank, they don't even bother firing, what is the point of including it in a sport which is all tank-on-tank combat?]

There is something that haven't been brought up in this topic is that, the Owarai's tanks are numbered in kanji when they were found.

Miho - Panzer IV Ausf. D - 6
History club - StuG III - 7
1st year - M3 Lee - 4
Student Council - Pz38(t) - 8
Volleyball club - Type 89 I-Go - 1

That leaves number 2,3 and 5 as potentially yet-to-be-founded tanks. The 3 tanks with larger numbering have occupied much of GuP's screen time.

So I'll just throw out a guess that right now, the volley team is probably there to temporarily fill the rank; they'll found their mid-season-upgrade, a better tank with the appropriate bigger number, when the show decides it's their time to shine, maybe?

sounds reasonable, and i guess the triplets and the girls by the blackboard in the OP will get the other two tanks
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

It seems that the theory about there being more Panzer turned out to be correct, and our cast went out looking for them. Well this was after A team kind of split off into helping the diffirent groups, Mako was spoiler[helping the volleybal team with driving, and helped them search old club rooms for a tank]. Saori was becoming a kind of spoiler[big sister to the first years, giving them love advice and getting lost with them within the bowels of the ship]. The student council being spoiler[helped by Miho and Hana paperwork, planning and possible tanks placements]. And Yukari getting in with spoiler[team C on mechanical information and a shared interest in past wars, their strategy in looking this time involved dropping a stick to see which way it landed and head in that way]. That strategy never works for me but spoiler[actually paid off twice for them].

It might be small but there was something I liked about the background designs in the beginning. We can see why Mako acted the way she did when Saori mentioned her, and we saw a bit of what Miho's relationship with her mother is like. Oh, and we got an explanation about the whole ship thing, apparntly it was done to spoiler[make children "have a sense of being cosmopolitan and independant]". And tell me that I am not the only one who was blown away by the cuteness of these two, possibly the middle school.

It is unfortunate that spoiler[we did not get to see the match against the team] lead by what I describe as someone who looks like a Rie Kugimiya character, but spoiler[our girls will get through to another match at least and use their new tanks]. According to the opening song it looks like one will be lead by the grouchy "Sodoko" with two look alikes that are probably disciplinary committee or something, the other by three girls that can be described as eyepatch, Animal ears, and well endowed.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
ep.7
spoiler[so now maho's grandma is ok give tell maho & other keep focus on matches so now after long carry maho to school time for workout practices.

more on miho's past reveal she was in charge of flag tank til one of tanks fall in water cue rescue tank members but in cost lost the tank match.

so after ya-da notice more tanks in school so found 2 more tanks during which search for 2nd tank yea maho is scared of ghost while searching for 1st year crew.

now after bath match time & less than 5 seconds they win.]
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
bet this episode made all the tank battle/animation buffs a bit miffed.

next we have to fight ***** "they're pretty tough" cut scene to leader's tank with Immobile Flag going up. pan to our girls smiling end scene. lol.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
This is why I wish the show were longer, to get every single battle in and give it a proper 20 or so minutes. spoiler[Upgrading the PzIV's cannon makes a big difference in their battles. That tank remained the workhorse throughout the war, as Tigers and Panthers were difficult to produce and maintain, and King Tigers came far too late to matter. The snub cannon wasn't giving them the killing power or range.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I really have to wonder how the hell they got a spoiler[Tiger] that far internally into the ship. That will massively help their senshado force. Getting the spoiler[longer barrel for the Panzer IV will also be a huge help]. I'm not sure how good the spoiler[Renault B1 bis] is but anything is better than nothing.
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
The spoiler[Renault B1 bis] is numbered 5 and according to Wikipedia, it operates with a crew of 4; so that's probably what the 4 ex-volleyball club members will move on to. Comment by Prez just made that probability into certainty.

The question is that the spoiler[Tiger] (which is numbered 2 btw) operates with a crew of 5. Does this mean that one of the 1st year girl will leave Tankwondo, therefore the number on their tank that they drive went from 4->2? Or will it mean that the Prez team will get 2 additional members?
With the M3 Lee still have a decent 75 mm cannon compare to the measly 37 mm of the Panzer 38 (t); the possibility of Prez drafting 2 more members to her team becomes more likely than the possibility of removing a member from the Bunny/1st year team.

Or will they just simply take the 3rd option and introduce 5 new members to the group in the next ep?

My guessing this time is that, Prez will draft 2 of the triplets in the OP and Turtle team will operate the spoiler[Tiger], leaving 'Sodoko' & the 3 other girls in the OP. They'll win the next battle but it'll be quite a last minute victory that will highlight the need for more than 5 tanks in their team so they found the tank numbered 3 that need a crew of 4 at which point Sodoko & the 3 will join the group.

And there is this image in the OP right before the 'triplets' show up, which should fit the naming theme of Owarai's callsigns for their 6th tank/team.

Oh, I almost forgot, the Panzer IV's looks in the ED of ep7 got updated with the spoiler[longer cannon] as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I personally thought the triplets would move into the 38t and Momo would be stuck being the driver, loader gunner, and radio operator for the spoiler[Tiger] Anime hyper But there is still that other trio with the eyepatch girl in the OP so perhaps Momo will finally get a reprieve.
Zork

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 presents some interesting tank crew possibilities.

Will Miho and crew swap their soon to be upgraded Panzer IV for the spoiler[TigerI]? Miho commanded that type of tank in the past, and as commander for the whole Ooarai Tankwondo team she should get the baddest tank. But, they are used to operating the Panzer IV as a team.

The Type 89 is their weakest tank. Even the Student Council President doesn't think too highly of it. I would like to see the volleyball team get a better tank to operate and the Type 89 mothballed. Maybe the spoiler[Renault B1 bis or the Panzer IV if Miho's crew gives it up]?

What about the three girls standing by the blackboard in the opening? They are obviously being presented as a future tank crew. They even have their animal emblem ready, which looks like either an anteater or aardvark. Since there are only three of them, will they form a team with one or two of the triplets? I can probably see them in the spoiler[Renault].
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
This might be an odd questtion... who are these triplets people keep referring to?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
This might be an odd questtion... who are these triplets people keep referring to?
I am pretty sure they are refering to the girls standing next to "Sodoko" in the opening song.

And the other girls mentioned are these three, you will see they accuratly have the traits I mentioned earlier.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
so, about those girls that Saori and the freshman ran into while inside the ship. are they part of the ship crew? i remember seeing similarly dressed individuals next to Sodoko back in ep 4 and didn't think much of it until now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 30