• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can an american become an anime artist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
If you want to become an animator (and a smalle part of a large group working on the same project), best best is to go to Korea I think. Many Japanese studios sub-contract most of the animation work to Korean studios these days (cheaper) and you might have a better chance to be working on an anime there.
roboticservo

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:07 am Reply with quote
Since you are 15 I'd suggest looking into a student exchange program. Shocked
God_of_Evil

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote
roboticservo wrote:
Since you are 15 I'd suggest looking into a student exchange program. Shocked

Isn't that every kids wish? Able to go to Japan in an exchange program? Wink
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Then why don't they? Seriously it is pretty easy and scholarships are available. Try YFU for a huge summer program, while it, AFS, Rotary, and several more I am less familiar with have thousands of students go every year.
So do it.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Do you have to know Japanese(or whatever language they speak where you would go)? I think that if exchange students come here they have to know english.

P.S. Another thing you could do is have a student stay at your house.

Here is one site
sacchan

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Just because you draw anime-style doesn't mean that there is a chance for you to become an animator, especially if you're a foreigner in Japan.

You must know that the competition is fierce. Tons of Japanese people (both kids and adults) draw beautifully, anime/manga style. When you look into Japanese newspapers and magazines, you'll see a lot of professional-looking, black-and-white and colored illustrations that are sent in by the readers. I know a lot of elementary students who can draw pretty manga-style characters, who want to be anime and manga artists when they grow up. I used to be one of them, myself, but didn't have the determination and passion to spend all my time and money on learning a trade that might not be enough to support myself.

Only a handful of those who aspire ever become professionals, even in Japan. And only a handful of those who become pros, succeed. I agree with what the people said before me. It will be easier to succeed in the U.S. than in Japan. And you have to become a true artist before you can become an anime/manga artist.
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree. American Cartoons look like crap. We could use someone to point us in the right direction
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
I have to agree. American Cartoons look like crap. We could use someone to point us in the right direction

What do you base this on? How many do you see, and what titles?

I find a lot of the people that bash American animation and carry on about how superior anime is have only seen a handful of shows from Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon/1995-2004 Disney's stock, and make a blind generalisation based on that. You know who else does that? The people that pick on you in high school because "all anime is kiddy Pokemon crap." Don't pitch a fit about what they do, then turn around and copy it in reverse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Meson

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
You have a few choices:
1) Move to Japan and work for an anime company (not going to happen)
2) Work in American animation (much better choice)
3) Self-publish. The neyt is full of quality self-made animations (best if you want full control)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
animeman51

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:41 pm Reply with quote
If I was you, I'd try and do comic books instead. It's a hell of a lot cheeper to make, it takes less time, you maintain more creative control, and if your successful, it's an excellent back door enterance to animation.
Rendart

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:59 am Reply with quote
I have nothing against American artists, but please if you do get a job as an animetor, please please please dont make a horrible movie like sin... that movie turned me away from American animation. In other words, work with good writers and hope not to run out of budget. Just my two cents.

-Rendart
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:27 am Reply with quote
Rendart wrote:
I have nothing against American artists, but please if you do get a job as an animetor, please please please don't make a horrible movie like sin... that movie turned me away from American animation. In other words, work with good writers and hope not to run out of budget. Just my two cents.

-Rendart

Sin was produced by and I think written by Americans, but it was animated in Japan. Americans animators didn't touch it. Saying American animation looks like crap is really a very unintelligent thing to say. Unlike anime, American cartoons stick to their own versions of character designs most of the time, making them more diverse when compared to anime which sticks to the usual big eyed designs. Anyway, I just don't think saying American animation is crap when we have what used to be Disney animators. Like most of the character designs in the Disney movies or not, but the animation is NOT crap.

I say if you want to become an anime artist, the best way to go about it would be to go to an American animation school, and then apply to Japanese animation studios. That's what the American in Production IG did... I forget though if he applied, or was scouted.

Warning though: Don't expect becoming an animator to give you a nice income. They aren't usually paid much.
Teknoman blade

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I have seen everyone since thunder cats and the original transformers. I was young, but in retrospect they could not hold thier own against other anime series. I mean I loved them when i grew up but, for example, when G.I. Joe extreme came out I was very disappointed. I rather watch Gundam wing. and that was around the same time I heard about about teknoman/tekkaman which i loved 1000 times more. In short, shows like thundercats and the original G.I. were good, but they can't hold their own against anime.

P.S. Pokemon is the worst show I've ever seen.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Teknoman blade wrote:
P.S. Pokemon is the worst show I've ever seen.

You haven't watched enough shows.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Really, it also depends on what exactly you mean as an anime artist.

If you mean work for a big name company, then take alot of the suggestions here. It's not going to be easy, and you have to really shine with determination. And even after that, the chances are still pretty slim

Do you mean make your own anime/manga, and have it distributed? This is also a very hard thing. Aside from going towards the american audience, first, you have to have an idea of what to do.

First of all, you have to aknowledge that you are managing your way from the bottom to wherever your final destination is. The best thing is yes, to take some formal lessons on art in general (something I haven't, but I want to, because you won't learn atonomy easy by JUST looking at anime). This is very essential in increasing any chances you have at becoming a professional. Face it. Some people will always critisize your art, but to learn from experience shared with many people working under a standard, you will be able to at least lessen that critisism. Who knows? You might just deveop some new traits to your style.

A good place to start with the distribution is within the abundence of the internet. Starting here, you can only hope for fan support. Try starting a art site, or a daily onine doujinshi (i.e. Megatokyo). Refer yourself to other people and slowly work your way towards advertisement. It may sound lame, but if you truely have something good enough, you will spread. Just think of it as an online portfolio. You want to prove yourself worthy of even being mentioned before you can start to really flex.

(On a slight run of time here...)

Basically, be open minded, and be ready to accept failure attempts. Be open enough to take some classes, as it is important to spread your specializations. Advertise well, and figure something to make your work either unique, very very good, or both.

Don't be discoraged. It's possible, but be sure to back yourself up.

Wow. I think my mind died again. Yoink. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5