• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bloomberg: Sony Pictures Weighs Bidding on Funimation Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I rather see Funimation left alone. And if they are making 100 million dollars per year, they seem to be in great shape to me.
Funimation had a gross revenue of 100 million but Amazon had a gross revenue of 135 billion. Sadly when it comes to licensing it is money that is most important.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
This would really suck for FUNi. Sony Pictures is on its last leg, and may not survive the next couple years. Spider-Man is ALL they have of a decent moneymaker, and there's serious whispers of them being put up for sale. They have a terrible track record of home video releases too. Universal would be a much better home, since they're still pretty decent at DVD/Blu-ray, but they sort of already killed Geneon, and back in the 90s Streamline got killed by the struggling Orion Pictures/MGM. It's best FUNi just keep doing their thing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:

I have nothing against Sony as a whole. But Sony Pictures is a nightmare. That is a division I don't think actually knows what the heck they are doing.

Based off of what those email leaks and the recent Ghostbuster movie?
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Sony Pictures is interested in wanting to buy out Funimation?! Looking at Sony Pictures current state, I honestly don't think that they would last much longer and honestly, looking at how many bad decisions they have done and have made so many box office bombs in recent years, excluding Spider-Man, they really have no popular film franchise to help save them and something tells me that once when Sony Pictures does go belly up, Spider-Man will go back to Marvel full time and those dumb Spider-Man spinoff films will die.

Back to Funimation, if I were them, I would find not want Sony Pictures to buy us because we are already financially better than them anyways.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I've an ominous feeling that Funimation might put themselves into a precarious situation if they let Sony Pictures buy them out; hence, I hope they'll say no to that.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
FlareKnight wrote:

I have nothing against Sony as a whole. But Sony Pictures is a nightmare. That is a division I don't think actually knows what the heck they are doing.

Based off of what those email leaks and the recent Ghostbuster movie?

Those emails were illuminating. It revealed Sony were trying to make a Golgo 13 movie with Gareth Evans and at one point shrugged off Crunchyroll because their metrics had Crackle as a bigger platform for anime. Laughing
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
A little known story from the email leak is that Sony was apparently interested in buying Crunchyroll at one point around 2011, however decided that their numbers were too low and to focus on Animax and Crackle. (You can read the email here.)

Bet they regret that decision now, as Crunchyroll is now the go-to place for anime while Animax isn't even well-regarded in the countries it made it to, while Crackle is...well, it's Crackle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that Funimation is currently a subsidiary of a company known as Group 1200 Media. And Funimation isn't in that bad of a position for what it is. This wouldn't be a wise decision from a financial standpoint, though I really have nothing against a lot of Sony movies from a critical standpoint (but seriously, screw The Emoji Movie Laughing ).
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
Sony Pictures is without a doubt the worst movie company in the world right now they can't make a profit or a half decent movie to save there lives which is LITERALLY what it has come down to for them. Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's gonna happen, because it'd be as big a nightmare to sort out as Disney's deals with Marvel and Lucasfilm. And don't forget Sony's own deal with Disney and Marvel for Spider-Man.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
Honestly, my first reaction when I saw this was "I got a bad feeling." Mad

At one time, corporations bought smaller businesses, it use to be a good thing. But in the past decade, the truth it has proven to be disastrous as they effectively gotten assimilated by the Borg. Case in point, EA. It was no longer about the player but how much money they would bring in. This is exactly what I expect to happen with Funimation if they happen to be bought out by Sony. Sony really does not care at all about the Anime and Manga communities, they only care about acquiring the titles and becoming "the next Marvel studio". That is their goal!

So if Sony or whomever buys Funimation, you will quickly see them replacing the Funimation staff with corporation bureaucrats whose motive is only profit! The studio likely be moved to California. The voice actors we know and love, being replaced by more established talent (maybe big names). And I wouldn't be surprised prices on anime going up, while quality going down.

And that's why, I have a bad feeling.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
so why am I getting the feeling this is pretty much a situation of "oh we wanna buy funimation :sony:" "No we wanna buy funimation :comcast:" "go away both of you :funimation:"
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
"In July 2015, it launched a streaming service with 10,000 hours of content"

Come on bloomberg, that's very off, they've had a streaming service since what 2009?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:41 am Reply with quote
So a lot of doom and gloom from the comments, however even of the worse happens, it wouldn't be much of a loss. Lots of publishers have come and go over the years, and this wouldn't even be the worst of them, as the loss of Bandai Visual US was a lot worse given the high quality of their dubs. And you may get them back in a similar way you got ADV back.

Someone said about them moving to LA, which is actually really good, as that is where most of the best VAs work Aside from a few people, there are very few great VAs at Funimation, and they could always go work for Sentai, who have most of Texas best VAs anyway. Another advantage is that we may finally see the end of simul dubbing, no more endless stream of sub-par to decent dubs every season. It would be wonderful to return to before most dubs were from Funi.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:50 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So a lot of doom and gloom from the comments, however even of the worse happens, it wouldn't be much of a loss. Lots of publishers have come and go over the years, and this wouldn't even be the worst of them, as the loss of Bandai Visual US was a lot worse given the high quality of their dubs. And you may get them back in a similar way you got ADV back.

Someone said about them moving to LA, which is actually really good, as that is where most of the best VAs work Aside from a few people, there are very few great VAs at Funimation, and they could always go work for Sentai, who have most of Texas best VAs anyway. Another advantage is that we may finally see the end of simul dubbing, no more endless stream of sub-par to decent dubs every season. It would be wonderful to return to before most dubs were from Funi.
I'm not sure I understand are you saying that they would buy a dubbing company and then stop dubbing? Also simuldubs are a huge draw for
funi and there is no one forcing you to watch "sub-par" dubs just wait till the physical release if it bothers you so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4