• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Just bloody gorgeous. I want to go to there. I'm also curious to hear the music; if they run with anything inspired by the Dixieland jazz of the twenties, it could be pretty great.

One of the rewards for the Korra Nation promotion they had going on was a sampler with some music from the new series and I'm sure you can find them if you look around, they've got a nice 1920s vibe to them.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I am looking forward to seeing this, but I will wait until I don't have to watch it on my computer. My children and I really loved Avatar and have watched it many times over and if this one follows a similar feel in humor and drama mix, I have to think it will be amazing as well. Everything I have seen so far looks beautiful!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they can actually hurt each other and have real fights this time around. That's one thing that killed the original. Not digging the voice acting or art in the trailer, and the way they can just slap fire aside doesn't make me think the fights are going to be any better this time around.

Agent355, I just now read your reply and noticed how you completely avoided the whole 'Sokka is a poorly written and inconsistent character' argument we gave you, but it's over a year old, so eh. But yes, it's not anime and off topic. Surely not even you can deny that.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
It's been a year and eight months since Sea Lion started this thread, and it's still around. I posted here a few hours ago because I had relevant news about the show's premiere and wanted to start a discussion about it.

Whether or not this thread is allowed is for the mods to decide. I personally like this thread.

I have no interest in arguing about whether Avatar: the Last Airbender or The Legend of Korra are anime. They are well written American created and Korean animated cartoons. The fact that they have to stay within the TV-Y7 rating standard does not bother me personally. The writing, characterization and plotting more than make up for the lack of graphic violence (and I doubt that Standards and Practices will be more lenient on The Legend of Korra, since it was scheduled for a Saturday morning timeslot on Nickelodeon's main channel).

As for Sokka, again, I don't want to get into year old arguments. Mostly because I have no patience to go back and read all those posts. Razz
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
This was going to be broadcast on Saturday mornings? To be completely honest, I had no idea. Though I was rather excited about the announcement of the Legend of Korra, that makes me wonder if the network has little faith in the program. I'm not necessarily concerned over the way that Standards and Practices will treat the show so much as whether it is being forced to that time slot to prep it for a quick death. I can't stand it when executives have that sort of an opinion right off the bath. Even if Korra turns out to be less than what one might have wished for, I want to give it a fair shot.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
@SurrenderArtist: are you waiting until April 14? You are a much more patient person than I!

Well, I just enjoy, to quote Dr. Frank-N-Furter, antici... ...

Agent355 wrote:
Not only is the music a wonderful mix of 20's jazz with Asian instruments...

The presence of something like jazz in this series raises an interesting question of worldbuilding. In reality, jazz began with the field calls of black slaves their adaptations of African musical traditions that evolved through several stages, including, awkwardly enough, minstrelsy shows, before maturing and synthesizing with elements of European tradition into early jazz in the middle to late teens, chiefly in New Orleans. Republic City probably doesn't have blacks and creoles of color, but given its origins, I see how a parallel cultural synthesis could be woven into the setting. I wonder if the creators have thought about it in those terms; it's not essential, but it's the kind of touch that can add verisimilitude and vibrancy to a fictional setting.

Between this and Apollo on the Slope, I feel like I should try to find my old Jazz history textbook. I'm not even sure if I kept it.

...pation

BonusStage wrote:
why not make it in the general form or something then. this is an anime website, after all. we come here to talk about anime not american toons. Like that dude who made a ReBoot thread a little while ago. don't you think it's a little immature and disrespectful to say 'I wanna talk about what I want and screw the rules if it's against the rules' kind of thing. think about going to a Xbox360 forum and saying we're going to talk about the PS3 now, too bad if you don't like it or that's not what this site is for. think about how you're representing the Avatar fanbase in a negative light by doing this.

The general forum, which is the 'community forum' here, is accessible only subscribers, so that wouldn't help a lot of people.

Who would locking this thread benefit or satisfy, especially relative to those who would prefer it stay open? It's clear that more than a few people are interested in it and their interest in anime is probably complementary to their interest in The Legend of Korra. There's hardly a surfeit of threads that deviate from the dominant topic of the forum and this one scarcely threatens to change that. Would there really be any significant benefit to closing it? I think that a rare exception can be tolerated, but if you must insist upon having black-letter internet law, the best choice is to report it to the moderators, who will duly act.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Avatar isn't anime, so technically, we shouldn't allow this. But throughout the years, we've had various other off-topic, animated, but non-anime title discussions that turned out civil, engaging, and even fun. As mentioned, I could move this thread to the Community forums, but then it would disallow some users from participating (plus we already had a thread for Korra and it's been quite a while since anyone posted in it..).

If I leave it here, I face scrutiny for not upholding the rules as a moderator and some people will get pissed at me for not being enough of a dick.

If I lock it, I face scrutiny for doing my job as a moderator to stop off-topic discussions and some people will get pissed at me for not being lenient enough to allow said discussion of this franchise.

So to make thing interesting, I'll make a poll for shits and giggles. You all will decide the fate of this thread.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
@vashna I don't think Nickelodeon is demonstrating a lack of faith in Korra by scheduling it on Saturday mornings. They already showed their dedication to the show by ordering a second season (the first season will have 12 episodes, the second, 14).

Rather, I think "Saturday morning cartoons" is making a comeback. Cartoon Network scheduled it's highly advertised DC block (which includes The Green Lantern, Young Justice and DC animated shorts) on Saturday mornings this month. I believe Disney X D is starting a Saturday morning block of Marvel cartoons next month. It will include the popular Avengers cartoon along with the new (and also heavily advertised) Ultimate Spider-Man. So Nickelodeon is responding with a Saturday morning action cartoon of its own. Weird, I know.

@Surrender Artist Thanks for stating so eloquently why some of us might want to keep this thread!

Mike DeMartino and Bryan Konietzko reportedly told The Track Team to come up with a score "that sounds as if the Chinese had invented jazz". I think that says a lot about the worldbuilding they're going for! Smile (Without any disrespect to the original origins of jazz).
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
slight derailment my apologizes do any of you know of legal stream for this show?? Hulu doesn't have it and not have cable t.v. "even basic" leaves me out in the dust... Cable t.v. or internet...welp back to lurking... meh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
Cecil, the show's official premiere date is Saturday April 14, 2012. Once it starts, it might be available on Nick.com

This weekend, Nickelodeon is releasing the first two episodes online at Korranation.com I don't know if they'll stream subsequent episodes on that site, but I imagine they will.

If you like this thread, vote in the poll!
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
Why had I never heard ATLA was getting a sequel??? I am so excited!!!! From the trailer and pics it looks like it's going to be awesome, I can't wait.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
the first episode is quite entertaining and having a Gung ho main character is refreshing. think the shy introverted dweeb who finds out they have powers beyond everyone else has been over used at this point.

the opening episode fleshed out some of the character traits of a few people we'll be seeing in the series as well as making it clear that the cities police actually can enforce the rules if push comes to shove.

not sure who's seen what yet so will try not to add spoilers.

but so far(one ep.) the show has my vote for worth watching series Korra is a fun character and I'm sure they will have no trouble keeping her in trouble so to speak.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
I've now watched the first two eppies of Korra and I really love it. It is definitely going to make me go back and watch the original series. It's the first series I have seen that successfully blends Western animation with an anime sensibility.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
If my theory is right and Amon's power is to take the power of bending from others, this show is gonna be a lot like FMA: BH.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
The first two episodes were beautiful, animation-wise. They definitely had that mix of proper characterization, humor and action I love Avatar for.

I love Tenzin's family! The kids are cute, with distinct personalities, and Pema seems to have a fun personality under the surface. We just haven't seen enough of her yet.

Korra is the opposite of Aang in every way. I doubt she's achieved any level of spiritual awareness yet, let alone been to the spirit world. I wonder if she'll make the trip this season, or if they'll save it for the next one. I'm just wondering what advice Spirit!Aang will have for Korra.

ProBending looks like it'll be a lot of fun! I'm glad I saw the video of Bryan Konietzko explaining the rules, because they put a lot of thought in it and it's very logical (you can find the vid on the Korra Nation tmblr).

Bolin stumbling over himself not to be racist was adorable ("I'm sorry...I didn't mean to presume...I mean, you are a Water Tribe gal, aren't you?") And I love Mako's deadpan lines ("it means you're the Avatar, and I'm an idiot." Korra: "True, to both of those things!")

It's a good show so far!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12