• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Highschool of the Dead (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
I was not really happy with ep1. But 2 & 3 have made up for it and will guarantee that I will follow this to the end. I no longer wish for the main characters to be eaten and I like that they are bonding quickly. spoiler[Evidenced by the way everyone in the group looked to each other when the conflict was brewing on the bus.] I'm also liking that they have backed off on the spoiler[ Nurse character being over the top ditzy. The way she had to talk herself through running over the zombies showed she was taking this all very seriously.] So all in all I'm glad I stuck with my 3 episode rule.

One a side note : Japanese highschoolers really need to start playing more D&D. Rule #1 NEVER SPLIT THE PARTY!

Oh and spoiler[FLAMING ZOMBIES RULE!]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Also, was everyone looking away when that spoiler[teacher fed his student to the zombies? That can't be...]

I was under the impression that spoiler[they were all going: ZOMG! QUICK GET TO THE BUS! and therefore not looking behind them to see what was going on. Being that the kid had a twisted ankle, he would have been at the back, in the opposite direction of where everyone was running as fast as they could. While Takeshi and the others already on the bus might have been looking in that direction, their view of someone who had fallen down would be obscured due to the people between them.]

Bored_Ming wrote:
One a side note : Japanese highschoolers really need to start playing more D&D. Rule #1 NEVER SPLIT THE PARTY!

"They" are slow and blind, and so more easily avoided by small groups. Splitting the party temporarily isn't that big of a problem.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah they are blind, but have good hearing, and when a sound sets them off they seem to be able to zone in and suround the survivors. Kind of gave me another thought of Left 4 Dead where one person could be an idiot and accidently set a soud off, and then get swamped.

Seems that it will be very important for the characters to keep their cool in dangerous circumstances, watch suroundings and not scream all the time. Oh and don't wear inpractical things that can be grabbed like useless towels, honestly it so often is the source of ironic parts in the horror genre.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
Loved this episode, love this series. Its awesome. The dynamics are so interesting, this is a very well planned out series with multi-dimensional characters and I am very excited to see what happens. I wish other animes could incorporate simular dynamics and apply them into their own genres.

Honestly, according to my common sense it is the "heroes" that die in these types of situations. I can only think that rushing into a city without a plan or a full understanding of the situation will lead to their demise. If their families survived up until this point of the infection stage then they must be at least potencially capable of living for some period of time. Logical thinking>Emotional tendencies.

Why do the crazy apocalyptic-crazed-"new order" type people always survive in the situations??? WHY? Rolling Eyes
Miranox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
Why do the crazy apocalyptic-crazed-"new order" type people always survive in the situations??? WHY? Rolling Eyes

Probably because they're the only ones who prepare for zombie apocalypses and the like.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
spoiler[While Takeshi and the others already on the bus might have been looking in that direction, their view of someone who had fallen down would be obscured due to the people between them.]

Yes, that's what I was referring to. They couldn't be obscured by the ones in front since within the bus their view should be wider (higher ground). I could try taking a screenshot but then I'd be late to work.
But it's not like I'm asking for precision all over the place. It's just that this time it would've been against their belief of saving as many as possible, thus letting one who'd do such a thing join them would never happen. That's why I wanted to see that worked on a little better.
kuromeru-kitsune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
12 episodes will probably get them to the end of volume 5. I hope they have season 2...

Well, if there is 1 ep per manga chapter than that means they will only be halfway (abouts) through to vol. 5. 12 eps mgiht be a decent place to leave the anime, to be honest. Going any further would mean that they would have to cliffhang our make a gross 'filler' ending in order to break it off.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
One complaint I've seen about the manner in which this was converted from comic to animation, is that the comic has a lot of panels that take place simultaneously or with ambiguous timing, but in the animated version, the presentation makes it feel like they take place sequentially, and, by necessity, gives the action defined timing.

Unlike when reading a comic, we're directly aware of the passage of time, during which other characters should presumably be doing something, but they aren't, which leads to a feeling of other characters standing around obliviously while the current spotlighted character(s) take their turn to act in isolation.

So you wind up with the audience wondering about the aforementioned teacher going unobserved, or about Hisashi and Takashi seemingly standing around doing nothing for ages while Rei battles their first zombie by herself in episode 1, and other things like that.
LordofNoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't so sure about this one at the first episode. It seemed out of place to have so much fanservice in a horror anime, but the thickening plot of episode three made me not care so much.

I have to guess that the teacher's cruel (but logical) treatment of his student, and Rei's aversion of him are all linked. He seems very convinced that power solves everything, which is why he quickly suggested putting somebody in a leadership position. He's the obvious antagonist, and I can't wait for him to be take his place in the food chain towards the end of the series.
kuromeru-kitsune

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love the clicking noise the biker Zombie makes when he's trying to bite Takashi (and what the hell did Rei hit him with???)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
It was one of those tiles they have that cover the gutters on the side of the street. I think they're made of concrete.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Could really have done without the extended re-capish start which took up half of the eppie. Oh well, I guess to maintain the high level of animation quality, they had to cut corners somewhere, but I hope that doesn't become a recurring feature of the show.

The new stuff was all great, though. I'm looking forward to watching the Lecherous Fascist Teacher thing play itself out.
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
That teacher dude really pisses me off. Aside from that; episode 4 and we get a 10 minute recap already? I somewhat expected something like this though; I doubted that a series could have an extended amount of really high quality animation without, as Blood- put it, cutting some corners. I found it really annoying that they put new bits of story in there as well, because in places I just wanted to skip it but then a new bit would pop up for 2-3 seconds and then go back to recap. Not a good move imo.

Not much content really for the episode either. Nothing really happened; they found a gun, used it, filled up the bike and that was basically it.

The next episode looks much more interesting at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
Not much content really for the episode either. Nothing really happened; spoiler[they found a gun, used it,] filled up the bike and that was basically it.

Your summary is technically accurate but a little dismissive. Frankly, I like the fact they made a bit of hay about spoiler[finding the gun. That's a more realistic portrayal of how kids would react in Japan where handguns are a real rarity.] Also, I liked the fact that they faced spoiler[a human, as opposed to zombie antagonist this time. It's one thing to bash in an Undead skull but quite another to kill a human - even if he is a total prick who has it coming.] Sort of changed things up a bit. And we got a bit more development of the relationship between the two leads. Definitely not an episode chock-a-block full of plot, but satisfying regardless, imo. HotD is actually a fairly slow moving series - appropriate for a show about slow-moving zombies, I guess.

Oh and I smiled at the spoiler[SHAUN gas station...]
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh and I smiled at the spoiler[SHAUN gas station...]

I'd say the whole "Z-Day + 1" is also a Shawn of the dead reference as Z-Day term comes directly from there.

The re-cap is... fine. It wasn't completely unexpected. But the actual new story is outstanding.spoiler[ "Finding the gun" scene was very realistic and later thug incident really brought main characters closer together. As I loved how Rei protected her man in episode three I love how Takashi protected his girl in episode four - stuff of great romance Razz] . I wonder what nazi teacher is going to do next. Sure he is anti-hero but I don't hate him, yet. As long as he brings other characters together and doesn't do anything illogical (like being evil for the sake of it; as opposed for personal gain) the fascist teacher is a welcome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 25