• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pseud0man

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Of course the show was going to turn more serious as it goes on; it was set up that way from the very beginning. I just don't see the problem Jensen see's with "commit to a single direction." It has always been in this direction whether you recognized it or not.

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed with Jensen's Reviews and it's not the scores I'm annoyed with but him continually missing the point and his contradictory opinions.

For example his review in episode 14 where he criticized that Terasaka's arc for feeling like a Saturday cartoon and immediately suggesting something that I would see in a Saturday cartoon.

And then this little gem in today's review:
Episode 19 wrote:

Like the class clown suddenly donning a pair of sunglasses and trying to play the rebel without a cause.

My guessing his referring to Karma (the only other class clown I can think of is Takeyabahshi who's playing nurse with Okuda), because yeah he totally was class clown where he punched Terasaka, handshaking Koro, ditching class multiple times. Seriously Paul, Karma has always been the laid back sadist antihero.

Last edited by Pseud0man on Sat May 30, 2015 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote
I'm also annoyed by his reviews, since it's obvious that he never read the manga, and he probably won't ever read it in the future. A manga reader can see most, if not all, foreshadowing and missing details. Several chapters have been skipped that contribute to some character development. E.g. Maehara, a chapter that first displayed the fruits of the training, or Kataoka's chapters, that featured Koro-sensei's swimsuit that was mentioned in episode 18 and his clear statement that he cannot swim.
Lovely

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah, with each review, I'm always shocked at my complete opposite opinion to the reviewer.

"Yeesh. We must watch this show with totally different wants in mind."

Aaaaanyways, this is actually one of my favorite arcs in the manga/anime. I love seeing each of the students/teachers getting a chance to show off their particular and unique skill sets. Even the kids who are left behind!
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am never one to argue with reviewers having different opinions than myself, but dude, did you expect this to be an episodic gag comedy forever? I'm not a manga reader, but even I know this is a long-running manga, and at some point any good story will start to evolve in some form or another. Serious arcs were inevitable. This one is great so far, as it serves not only as a reminder that the teachers are badasses, but how far the kids have come not only physically and mentally, and how far each of them has developed individually as characters. It's incredible to see an anime with so many characters in which each of them is actually distinguishable and interesting with unique and easily identifiable character traits and motivations. It almost seems like lazy reviewing, or a failure to understand the basics of storytelling in general, and it's starting to itch my brain. I'm happy to be proved wrong, of course, but that's my impression solely based on the reviews of this show in a bubble.

Anyways.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Pseud0man wrote:
And then this little gem in today's review:
Episode 19 wrote:
Like the class clown suddenly donning a pair of sunglasses and trying to play the rebel without a cause.
My guessing his referring to Karma (the only other class clown I can think of is Takeyabahshi who's playing nurse with Okuda), because yeah he totally was class clown where he punched Terasaka, handshaking Koro, ditching class multiple times. Seriously Paul, Karma has always been the laid back sadist antihero.

You left out the antecedent in the quote, "Something about the attempt rings false, like..." The "like" doesn't mean "for example," it signifies a simile. The attempt to switch gears rings false in the same way a class clown getting angsty does. He wasn't referring to any character in the series.

I don't agree with the sentiment, but I don't know why his expressing it annoys so many people. We just see it differently than he does. He made his case, we'll all free to counter with ours.
Pseud0man

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

You left out the antecedent in the quote, "Something about the attempt rings false, like..." The "like" doesn't mean "for example," it signifies a simile. The attempt to switch gears rings false in the same way a class clown getting angsty does. He wasn't referring to any character in the series.

*Rereads paragraph*

Okay, my bad for reading that sentence out of context. Coincidentally he's doing the same thing when reviewing this show, thinking it was supposed to be a zany comedy like Baka and Test or Cromartie High.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
I wonder why the reviewer didn't say anything about Irina at all. Though this anime is cheap and bland anyway and is just degrading the great manga so who cares.
HaruhiToy wrote:
Speaking of respect. About Irina: It turns out Karasuma does have respect for her after all. But girl you should have hauled your own ass up that hill like everyone else. I guess it was worth it that since that was a was a decent job in the lobby.

Well he has already mentioned that her skill is honey trap or how was it called. Physical power never was her forte.
chex mix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Anime gives you comedy, now you want it to be more serious. Please hand this show off to a different reviewer for season 2.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
^No, he said he just wanted the comedy to actually be funny. And it wasn't very funny this episode.

I really hated the torture scene with Karma. The whole thing was fantastic until then, and his threats were humorous - up to the point where he actually carried them out. I thought he was at least going to try to get some information out of him, like who the boss is, or where the boss is, but no, it was just cruelty for cruelty's sake. Not fun.

And the whole cross-dressing thing fell flat too. Nagisa looks enough like a girl in just his normal clothes. I chuckled when they all looked at him to go with the girls (like they needed a guy to go at all Rolling Eyes), but they just took it too far to no good effect. The only other thing I laughed at was when I realized that this deadly drug the kid was smoking was pot.

But I must say I'm getting a kick out of how they're milking the "licking the weapon" trope in this. Smile
Ahirue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with Paul's opinions on the anime, even if I disagree with several of his criticisms, and I think his reviews are generally well-articulated and do exactly what a review's supposed to. But when it comes to anime that are adaptations of manga or video games or other material, I think the most useful reviews would be ones written by someone familiar with the original source.

It is a little frustrating to read reviews from someone unfamiliar with the manga, because they can't comment on the effectiveness of the anime as an adaptation, or compare/contrast the anime vs the source material, and if their plot, character, and theme speculation goes way off the mark (as Paul's does on occasion), those familiar with the source material won't be able to get anything out of it.

None of which is the reviewer's fault, of course. ANN isn't always going to have a reviewer on hand familiar with the source material of any given anime, as I'm guessing is the case with Assassination Classroom. It's a mild point of frustration nevertheless.

I will agree with the criticism that Paul's wording makes it sound like he thinks the anime is a stand alone and not an adaptation from a shounen manga, as he frequently makes it sound like manga plot points are choices the anime is making, and often making as it goes. He ends up sounding uninformed, which is rather off-putting.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The bar scene in particular is a dud from start to finish.

Bull. That scorpion kick was totally righteous.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah no you're right, that was a super bitchy way for me to say "hey, I'm frustrated with these reviews, dude." I shouldn't have said that at all. I apologize.

I don't care if a reviewer has or hasn't read the source material for whatever they review. A show should be able to stand on its own two feet. However, I do agree with the poster above who said that it's frustrating that it is coming across like the reviewer thinks it's the SHOW making these narrative decisions from week to week, when it is an adaptation of existing source material, whatever that may be.

I'm also frustrated with the contradictions in what the reviewer seems to want from this show from week to week, which is what I ought to have posted in the first place, instead of what I did. Embarassed
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, I would say that a review for an adaptation is better if the reviewer hasn't seen/read/heard the source material, since this is a review of how well the adapted material can hold up as its own thing, not tied down to whatever it's based on.

An adaptation that can't be enjoyed without familiarity with its source work is not an adaptation at all, but simply supplementary material.
Ahirue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Indeed, I would say that a review for an adaptation is better if the reviewer hasn't seen/read/heard the source material, since this is a review of how well the adapted material can hold up as its own thing, not tied down to whatever it's based on.

An adaptation that can't be enjoyed without familiarity with its source work is not an adaptation at all, but simply supplementary material.

While I agree that it can be fun to read reviews from reviewers who went in blind, I think a competent reviewer who's seen the source material can still comment on how the anime stands up as its own thing, and evaluate it as an adaptation.

I think that's the best way to do things, because that way you're providing information for the whole gamut of fans - both people who are familiar with the source material, and people who aren't, and since the purpose of a review is primarily to help people decide if they want to watch the thing, providing relevant information to the largest number of fans is best.

But again, obviously that isn't always possible. At the very least, though, a reviewer going in blind should be informed enough about what they're watching to know whether or not it's an adaptation. Blind reviews are better if they know next to nothing else, but if you're doing a review and you don't know that what you're watching is an adaptation from something else (or word things in such a way that it sounds like you don't know, anyway), well, that's some hugely important context that you're missing out on and it's going to affect the quality of the review.
elior1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
I'm also annoyed by his reviews, since it's obvious that he never read the manga, and he probably won't ever read it in the future. A manga reader can see most, if not all, foreshadowing and missing details. Several chapters have been skipped that contribute to some character development. E.g. Maehara, a chapter that first displayed the fruits of the training, or Kataoka's chapters, that featured Koro-sensei's swimsuit that was mentioned in episode 18 and his clear statement that he cannot swim.
i think so far beside those little arcs they skipped the anime stayed faitful to the manga so far. also as manga reader i had a feeling from the middle they will end season 1 at the island arc
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8