• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
His and Her Circumstances (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deedeedee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
Asuka wrote:
She wanted it to be a romantic comedy with more focus on the romance.

I want the same thing. Rolling Eyes
The love story between Miyazawa and Arima have a good potential but they didn't know how to use it to make an excellent anime. Mad

Asuka wrote:
That disagreement is one of the reasons that the anime never got a second season.

It's any chance to do it in the future? Confused Sad

Asuka wrote:
The anime went until about halfway through volume 8 of the manga. The manga ended last year with 21 volumes.

For the people who leave in Est Europe its very difficult to have access to any manga.
Unfortunately I have only the first 8 volumes. Crying or Very sad

Thanks to all you guys! Embarassed
Have a nice week-end! Razz Cool
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
while most people say it feel apart around episode 15/16 I disagree, I was still perfectly happy to watch it up to around episode 18, but once they had actually reached that point in their relationship it felt now like they were just killing time to make it a 26 ep series. They could have been far more succint and condensed the last 8 or so episodes into 2 or 3 as not much actually happens in any of them

The last episode Anno directed was 14 or so, thus the remainder were going to be different no matter what else happened. When the series hit the mid-teens point, they'd basically caught up to as much of the manga as had been written to date, so they didn't have a lot to work with, plus that was the period when a number of Gainax officials were being investigated for tax evasion and were somewhat distracted from anime production.

As for condensing the series to a smaller number of episodes, that's an idea that only works on an art level, not a business one. Gainax would have entered the project with every intention of producing 26 episodes, and sold the show to tv networks with a 26 episode count and schedule. To not fulfull the 26 episode count would have led to all sorts of breach of contract type problems, not to mention schedule mayhem for the network. Thus, when you're out of money, out of ideas, and out of time, you do whatever you can to stall and fill airtime. C'mon, stick puppets?

I'd love to see more of KKNJ/His and Hers as much as anyone, but given how long it's been, and the fact that Anno doesn't often repeat himself, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I have a question about this series. I subscribe to netflix, and vol. 2, of His and Her Circumstances has an unknown date of release, but vol. 1,3,4 are available. Is it just netflix acting weird? I suppose it could be all the fans keeping the DVDs, and not returning them. Or is there something else.

Other than that, am loking forward to seeing this series.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
I believe all of the DVDs have been released, both individually and in a 'complete' collection.

If you have Select On Demand (I have it on Comcast) they are running it there as well, although they recently changed how they are running it so it only has two eps at a time (currently 15,16). Theyt had a veiwer favorites section which looked to be replaying the series, but it disappeared yesterday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YanagiTenks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The last episode was SO STUPID. I liked it, though. Didn't waste my time much.. although I tend to have a disliking for Arima.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
morsmaestro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I believe all of the DVDs have been released, both individually and in a 'complete' collection.

It's no myth. I have the 'complete collection.' As for the ending, I thought it was a total letdown. I suppose that's understandable, seeing as its largely realism, that the main conflict would have no resolution.
They could have stepped up the story between Tonami and Sakura. I think everyone could see spoiler[their love thing coming a long way off, ] But in the last episode? Its a little late!
What was up with the episode showed only with paper puppets?!
I totally agree with Fui in that the recaps were unnecessary and a waste of time.
That said, His and Her Circumstances is a great anime. It takes the concept of dynamic characters to an extreme, as in at least one or two characters changing every episode. It touches on a lot of subjects, such as teen life and family relationships, has an eclectic mix of artistic styles, and has an underlying message--that people can study all the time, get into good careers, have money and power, but still miss the important things in life. An anime that can have all these things is truly amazing

Its shaky development schedule/staff changes did take their toll on the integrity of the final result, but this is still a masterpiece of anime
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:12 am Reply with quote
Asuka wrote:
Masami Tsuda(Author of Kare Kano) was unhappy with the way the anime was being done. She wanted it to be a romantic comedy with more focus on the romance.

That's what I wanted too. Which is why I stopped reading the manga. I'm sorry, but I don't understand how Arima's incessant whining adds to the romance.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
I thought it was fairly well done, the art was interesting, one thing I did not like was all the flashbacks they did, as well as the speeches at the beginning, that seemed to occur every other episode. I was also rather disappointed in the ending, spoiler[ I wanted to see what happened at the culture fest, as well as what would happen with the chubby kid that had returned and kissed the girl he claimed he hated, and what was going to happen between arima and yukino. ] Maybe I will buy the manga. I feel rather unfulfilled, I can hope someday the writer of the manga will approve some more episodes. I wonder if he gets to watch them before they air them.
Maken Buster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I think to around episode 18 it was good, after that it felt a little contrived, the relationship had reached its terminal point and unless they wanted to add a big shake up for the last few eps(which they didn't) I felt it could have ended there or maybe in one or two episodes.

I agree.

The SD comedy and creative use of showing emotions (spoiler[having Miyazawa literally rip in half was excellent!]) were really entertaining, on top of some decent melodrama. I was smitten with the cast...their interaction, their funny quirks, the whole nine...

And then two recap episodes...d'oh!!!

Then the series just kinda loses itself somewhere. I found myself struggling to pay attention to what was going on. And at the end of it, I felt let down at the conclusion...still, the cute cuddly moments throughout were worth the sludge of the last few episodes.
morsmaestro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Is it just me, or is essentially the same thread being repeated over and over again?

Yep. animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23138&highlight=kareshi+kanojo+jijou
Amazing how no one posts for one or two days and it gets immediately pushed back a few pages.
guilhem wrote:
And the music's great too: I have the ending in my mind since several days and I can't get tired of it

I know! I always have 'Into a dream' stuck in my head, and its been at least a month since I watched this series.
I have the box set. Its my #2 favorite anime.

Basically, it would be my #1, but it suffers from developmental issues, like the change in directors halfway through the series, and the excessive use of recaps, spoiler[not to mention the ending is a total letdown]. However, it carries a good message, uses many different art styles, most of which are a good idea (NOT the paper stick puppet things), touches on a lot of things (besides love): family relationships, revenge, acceptance, friendship, miscontrued emotions, art (see the last few episodes to see why), etc. It was really funny at times (esp. the jumpkick Laughing), and had lots of drama. Awesome anime.

Sagashi mono wa nan desu ka
mitsukenikui mono desu ka
kaban no naka mo, tsukue no naka mo
sagashita keredo mitsukaranai noni...........
I'm hopeless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
-gecko-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
morsmaestro wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Is it just me, or is essentially the same thread being repeated over and over again?

Yep. animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23138&highlight=kareshi+kanojo+jijou
Amazing how no one posts for one or two days and it gets immediately pushed back a few pages.
guilhem wrote:
And the music's great too: I have the ending in my mind since several days and I can't get tired of it

I know! I always have 'Into a dream' stuck in my head, and its been at least a month since I watched this series.
I have the box set. Its my #2 favorite anime.

Basically, it would be my #1, but it suffers from developmental issues, like the change in directors halfway through the series, and the excessive use of recaps, spoiler[not to mention the ending is a total letdown]. However, it carries a good message, uses many different art styles, most of which are a good idea (NOT the paper stick puppet things), touches on a lot of things (besides love): family relationships, revenge, acceptance, friendship, miscontrued emotions, art (see the last few episodes to see why), etc. It was really funny at times (esp. the jumpkick Laughing), and had lots of drama. Awesome anime.

That's just bound to happen (multiple threads).

Man, I am at that point where I really really want to pick up this title (it's on sale at Right-Stuf for $45 complete) but I've only seen to ep 16 and just can't get past the horror stories. I just hope it continues to run on On Demand so I can make a better decision after ep 20 or so...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RDespair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I loved the first DVD, but steadily lost interest as I went on with the series. I gave up around the halfway point.

I'd really like to see that homemade movie version of the first few episodes, but I'm too lazy to make one myself.
morsmaestro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
-gecko- wrote:
Man, I am at that point where I really really want to pick up this title (it's on sale at Right-Stuf for $45 complete) but I've only seen to ep 16 and just can't get past the horror stories. I just hope it continues to run on On Demand so I can make a better decision after ep 20 or so...

Hohoho...after episode 18 it goes downhill, mainly because of the new director (I despise Kazuya Tsurumaki now...) who had different views on how it should be (from the original director, Hideaki Anno).
Sorry if that was a downer.

So, right now is probably when you can make the most informed decision. My suggestion? Get it! Even with its rough edges its still one of the best series out there (IMO).
joshuafer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:13 am Reply with quote
Well at least I did a search instead of starting a third thread, hehe.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
If you're interested in the "movie" RD, email me. I put so much work into it, I'd love to share it with others. In truth, if anyone would really like to check it out, I'd be happy to share with them as well. Even if this post gets old, I still have the movie. It's a great watch. Smile

Last edited by Steve Berry on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7