• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 was pretty good, but I did have some problems.

I don't buy that the delinquent school could take on any of those kids, since they've been training daily to assassinate Koro Sensei. The fact that the girls went without any kind of fight didn't ring true to me whatsoever. I suppose this is one of the tropes of shounen anime, but I would've appreciated it better if they would have subverted the cliche by having the kids fight off the attack immediately.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
whoisfriend wrote:
I don't buy that the delinquent school could take on any of those kids, since they've been training daily to assassinate Koro Sensei.

Their so-called assassination training is all about attacking a target that not only will not strike back but also take steps to protect the attacker from injury. Such training would be of little use in a street fight. Karma did pretty well to start off with but he knew what he was doing before meeting Koro.

And all those high-schoolers were much bigger and inclined to be nasty.
Quote:
The fact that the girls went without any kind of fight didn't ring true to me whatsoever.

No more or less believable than having the girls in the hands of the abductors for something like a half hour or more with nothing bad happening to them other than being restrained and threatened.

The level-up that the Class E kids are getting have more to do with their self confidence and outlook than it does any physical prowess.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
whoisfriend wrote:
Episode 7 was pretty good, but I did have some problems.

I don't buy that the delinquent school could take on any of those kids, since they've been training daily to assassinate Koro Sensei. The fact that the girls went without any kind of fight didn't ring true to me whatsoever. I suppose this is one of the tropes of shounen anime, but I would've appreciated it better if they would have subverted the cliche by having the kids fight off the attack immediately.

The story will deal with this issue later on, in particular how assassins are... well, assassins, trained in order to kill their target in one hit without being noticed. An assassin is clearly not suited to directly fight an opponent that's much bigger in size and has probably participated in a bunch of fist fights before.
Ahirue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are still a few weak points in this episode, though they're mostly minor problems. A sequence of trying to lure Koro Sensei into a sniper's crosshairs is never put to enough use to justify its inclusion in the story. If the episode works fine without it, why bother to bring it up?

spoiler[Wait for next week; the school trip's not over yet! Wink]
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
So, looking at the AssClass Wikia site, it seems that a certain character is introduced in chapter 29, meaning that this character is likely to appear in the anime.

I dearly hope the translators are going to take great care in translating this character's lines, given recent manga events.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The story will deal with this issue later on, in particular how assassins are... well, assassins, trained in order to kill their target in one hit without being noticed. An assassin is clearly not suited to directly fight an opponent that's much bigger in size and has probably participated in a bunch of fist fights before.

Yeah, it's like how in the Assassin's Creed games, you can take on dozens of guys if you do it 1-2 at a time and by surprise, but if they all come at you at once, it's much trickier and you can be taken out in a heartbeat if you misjudge something. I think they probably could have taken those guys without Koro-sensei's help, but only on round 2, on their own terms, not when they got ambushed.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Is this anime skipping a week?
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
So, my favorite character will be introduced in the next (ep. 9) episode, huh?
Lovely

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
So, looking at the AssClass Wikia site, it seems that a certain character is introduced in chapter 29, meaning that this character is likely to appear in the anime.

I dearly hope the translators are going to take great care in translating this character's lines, given recent manga events.

spoiler[Are you referring to Shiro?]
natchu96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
Ritsu officially brings AssClass into 2D waifu producing territory.

How are they supposed to get her into an exam venue though? She's registered as a student so they probably have grades for her for the sake of appearances.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
Ritsu officially brings AssClass into 2D waifu producing territory.

How are they supposed to get her into an exam venue though? She's registered as a student so they probably have grades for her for the sake of appearances.

spoiler[An ugly imposter tutored by Ritsu will take her place for the exams. The class is disgusted by her face.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:

It doesn't make sense that she doesn't have an mobility. My guess is she sits int hat position because she has had no need to move so far.

Come to think of it she has no evident defense mechanism at all. There was no resistance to her target opening her panels and making modifications. She was completely debilitated with some duct tape. If she can't move and can't defend she isn't worth much as a military asset except as a mine or something.

Funny thing is that class E is supposed to be the bottom 5% performers, but now we have at least two members that likely can outperform the rest of the school. And with Koro-Sensei's teaching it is likely many of them will be able to before the term's end unless they rig the test again.

I wish they would draw a different face for Terasaka once in a while. That scowl and clenched teeth thing has gotten old.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Are they supposed to be only the bottom performers at the school? I thought some of them wound up in that class, in spite of good academic ability, because the school just plain didn't want to deal with them (like Karma, who is a great scholar but is in 3-E because he's a menace).
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Are they supposed to be only the bottom performers at the school? I thought some of them wound up in that class, in spite of good academic ability, because the school just plain didn't want to deal with them (like Karma, who is a great scholar but is in 3-E because he's a menace).

The students with the lowest grades go to class 3-E, but any student whose grades are good enough can leave the class anytime when the principal approves the decision. Kids who do problems like Karma or do vandalism like spoiler[Takebayashi after temporarily transfering to class 3-A or Kayano who did that on purpose to go into 3-E in the first place] or breaking other school rules like doing a part-time job (like Isogai, who is actually pretty smart) are also assigned to 3-E.
The thing is that some of the students pretty smart, but at least three of them (Kataoka, Hayami and Chiba) were used by their former classmate to help their studies, resulting that the three of them hadn't enough time to improve their weak subjects. You also need to be good in all subject when possible. Okuda is good in math and science, but sucks in Japanese.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
natchu96 wrote:

It doesn't make sense that she doesn't have an mobility. My guess is she sits int hat position because she has had no need to move so far.

Come to think of it she has no evident defense mechanism at all. There was no resistance to her target opening her panels and making modifications. She was completely debilitated with some duct tape. If she can't move and can't defend she isn't worth much as a military asset except as a mine or something. .

Ritsu was designed to assassinate Koro-sensei in the classroom, not as an actual military weapon in war. She does not need defends mechanism because Koro-sensei is not allowed to harm her at all. Her inventors didn't think of the idea that the class would hinder her assassination attempts.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8