• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
In doing this edit of FMA, were they trying to not offend Christians, or were they trying to not offend non-Christians?

They were trying to not offend Christians. But eventhough I'm Christian, I'm pretty much okay with the stone that looked like what the bad guys put on Jesus.

I think it's probably not to offend Christians, yeah. Still, if positive Christian references are considered offensive, as well, then it does make me wonder if they somehow thought non-Christians would be offended by it...probably not. Still, it's a weird little trend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Honest enough I guess. Appease the ones who hold us to the sword. Veer from the path and you shall recieve the sharp end to the neck.

I'm not really arguing that appeasement is the best solution, personally I wouldn't appease either group, and would show Mohammed squaredancing around with some cheerleaders if I felt I had good reason to do so, but my point is that there are some pretty compelling reasons to choose to appease radical Muslim tastes that simply don't apply when talking about Christians.

Quote:
It happens all the time on here, without provocation, and with venom, I might add. If it is wrong to draw Ones face, then it might be wrong to draw the Crucifixion of one of the 7 deadly sins. Keep in mind you are importing a story from a culture in which less than 1% are Christian, to a culture in which the majority is. Does it sound hypocritical yet?

Nope, it sounds like a rational judgement call based on the situation at hand. If it were the same situation with a different response then it would be hypocritical, but it's not the same situation, unless you are arguing that, had they not made this change, Christians worldwide would riot in the streets and blow up buildings and other personal property, resulting in the deaths of hundreds.
flyingpeachbun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
It's such a small edit and it was well done that if no one had pointed it out, you wouldn't know. It's not really something to get so upset about... I think people aren't so upset with the edit itself as they are that there was any editing done to their precious FMA...

Personally I think it's a stupid edit, but it doesnt really bother me either way as long as they had permission from Hiromu Arawaka..
But I doubt the people who would be offended by something like that would be reading a book with alchemy, demons, killing, etc anyway...
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
What did they edit? Volume and page number too please. (And to mods: I know it's probably here somewhere, but i'm not going to sort through 20+ pages of this thread to find it)
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I_AM_L wrote:
What did they edit? Volume and page number too please. (And to mods: I know it's probably here somewhere, but i'm not going to sort through 20+ pages of this thread to find it)

This is the *talkback* page. It's on the front page, just check the first day of this post and look at the news from around that day. ^^;;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
How are the Canadians reacting to this? This edit is also going to be distributed in Canada too.

So that means that if you want an edit free version of volume 8 in English, then it's the UK? Do you think that Viz would supply the country list of where this volume is published in original form in English?
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
To the people saying radical Christians would have been offended long before the cross scene you really don't understand radical Christians in America.

99% of those Christians that censor and often successfully get books from being sold in bookstores and read in schools have never read those books nor ever will but they demand them to be censored.

All it would take is some fundie like James Dobson to raise holy hell about the FMA crucifiction scene and manga could very well be endangered in this country. It doesn't matter if they don't read it, it matters that they get some visual of this supposed blasmpehmy against them then they get up all in arms.

I mean seriously do any of you not understand that fundies are the most ignorant people on the earth and are sheep to their ignorant pastors?

Seriously have you heard fundie rants against Evolutionary Biology not a single one of these fundies even knows what Evolutionary biology actually says yet they constantly get lawmakers to make the teaching of evolution illegal or water downed. They pressure teachers to not teach sound science but instead teach debunked/admitted false Biblical based science which is illegal to teach since it isn't science or even factual but a religious dogma.

You people stating that viz didn't have to do the edit have no idea about the influence of fundies in this country. Manga is a vulernable industry as of now. When it was largely underground it was relatively safe. Most manga series don't break even.

As for being sued guess what Viz can be and it wouldn't be dismissed on first amendment grounds. Nor would Viz get a settlement if the case was thrown out they would lose a lot of money defending themselves.

There are several lawmakers in this country wanting to pass laws to make scenes like the FMA crufiction one illegal and have people arrested. Guess what those laws nearly got passed and a lot of people voting for Republicans want them to be passed. If you bother to investiage the Religous Right you will see a lot of them state that the First Amendemnt only applies to Christians and that mocking Christianity should be illegal since it wouldn't be protected by the First Amendment. These Christians btw have taking over a lot of school boards and teach this crap to students in electives paid for by American tax dollars. In numerous polls most answered that mocking Christianity or anything appearing to do so must be made illegal.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
How are the Canadians reacting to this? This edit is also going to be distributed in Canada too.

So that means that if you want an edit free version of volume 8 in English, then it's the UK? Do you think that Viz would supply the country list of where this volume is published in original form in English?
I really i don't mind i have seen alot worse edits in anime and manga Cool.

Last edited by coolGAL on Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
toomanyalts wrote:
To the people saying radical Christians would have been offended long before the cross scene you really don't understand radical Christians in America.

99% of those Christians that censor and often successfully get books from being sold in bookstores and read in schools have never read those books nor ever will but they demand them to be censored.
How could Christians know that the cross scene in FMA is even there or demand them to be censored if they never read these books? If they've never read these books as you say, they can't know the cross scene is there, so how can they demand something to be censored they don't even know exists? And your post still doesn't explain why they wouldn't be offended long before the cross scene in FMA. Your post makes no sense whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
skaly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
How could Christians know that the cross scene in FMA is even there or demand them to be censored if they never read these books? If they've never read these books as you say, they can't know the cross scene is there, so how can they demand something to be censored they don't even know exists?

They have kids.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
toomanyalts wrote:
I mean seriously do any of you not understand that fundies are the most ignorant people on the earth and are sheep to their ignorant pastors?
I was recently reading a journal about a supernova that occured 4.5 billion years ago. Of course it was so far away that the light from the explosion has only now recently reached us. Interesting enough, most supernovas exibit Gamma ray bursts that will usually last less than a minute. But this one was different. It had a massive gamma radiation release, it lasted 33 minutes. It released enough radiation to not only destroy all life in the galaxy in which the star once stood(about 300,000 light years), but enough to destroy all life in all of its surrounding galaxies(millions of light years). Now there is of course no way to know if any life was actually terminated during this massive display of nature. But no force could ever stop this brutal assault. One can only assume that among the millions of solar systems that were doused with this extremly hot massive radiation, that in Sagan's words, "Statistically life is probable". But atleast in that part of our little Universe, it is fairly certain there is none, or was none, or is starting over. We don't know.

One thing is for sure, there is only one way we would ever be able to stop something like that from happening in a galaxy near us. And it has nothing to do with grey matter.

toomanyalts wrote:
There are several lawmakers in this country wanting to pass laws to make scenes like the FMA crufiction one illegal and have people arrested. Guess what those laws nearly got passed and a lot of people voting for Republicans want them to be passed. If you bother to investiage the Religous Right you will see a lot of them state that the First Amendemnt only applies to Christians and that mocking Christianity should be illegal since it wouldn't be protected by the First Amendment. These Christians btw have taking over a lot of school boards and teach this crap to students in electives paid for by American tax dollars. In numerous polls most answered that mocking Christianity or anything appearing to do so must be made illegal.

Now this has to be the most ignorant statement I have read all year. Not only does it have numerous factual errors, it also displays venom of hatred which has obviously impaired the half of your brain that deals with reason. Your fact checking aside, I suggest you turn your angst to those whom actually do want kill you, hurt you and control your mind.

You know, make yourself useful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
I hate Viz sooo much! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skaly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
Okay, Viz, has there been enough of an uproar to release an "uncut special edition" yet? You know you want to! Heck, you've already established a precedent with the Naruto DVDs!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
4KrapSucks wrote:

What I want to know is if there's any localization company you don't hate.
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
4KrapSucks wrote:

What I want to know is if there's any localization company you don't hate.

ummm...Disney I don't hate. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I will only continue to hate FUNimation if they don't release Shin-chan uncut. I didn't used to hate ADV until Ghost Stories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 27