• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best First Episode Tournament: Nominations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I wonder if my streak of being last or close to will continue for this mini-game! Very Happy

I might give you a run for your money here if I manage to put my brackets together. Cool
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I wonder if my streak of being last or close to will continue for this mini-game! Very Happy

I have a pretty good chance at being last as well. Shall we compete Wink?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Question to Dorcas_Aurelia. I will post it here, instead of PMing you incase others have a similar question. For the mini tournament, do you want us to fill the spreadsheet KEY made and then email it to you?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls, yes, you fill the spreadsheet with who you think will win each round and than Dorcas_Aurelia gets the grand task of tracking everything (and a fine job he does!).

I'm interested to see how I do this time, since it's the first tournament when I feel like I have a least a passing familiarity with a lot of the nominees. Of course, the time I did best (second place, IIRC) was the time when I had no idea what I was doing, so the familiarity may result in my doom. We shall have to wait and see.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, what marie said. Here's the kind of thing I'd like you to send me as a mini-game submission.

Sorry about the delay in responding, been busy getting my new computer to work properly and find a decent wireless device for it.

Only just now got around to looking at the bracket, and a couple of the match ups are going to tear me up. Particularly Kaiba/Kurau, R.O.D., and Macross/Penguindrum.

I've received Ggultra's and marie's brackets so far.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

I have a pretty good chance at being last as well. Shall we compete Wink?
In a way striving to be the biggest underachiever somehow seems better than just striving to NOT be last, which is what I usually aim for Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Just a reminder that there's only 22.5 hours or so left until the tournament starts, so you have less than a full day to submit minigame entries. (Mine, of course, will be going in at almost the last minute.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mow123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
Any chance for a possible extension? The amount of time to watch of the first episodes nominated that are available through legals steams makes the time to adequately prepare for this tournament abnormally high.

I think if we give it an extra week and provide a post of all the show where legal stream available along with the links, this tournament would turn out much better than expected. Unfortunately, this isn't a bracket you can just whip up in a few hours with any sort of confidence since there is a lot more research involved than normal. Or maybe it's just me and my desire to be overly prepared for these type of things because when you are competing against big titans like Key, Olliff or some of these newcomers who have won recently the margin of error is surprisingly low if you want to win it all. I really want to win one of these things outright eventually especially since I have come sickeningly close multiple times, and the extra week would mean a lot to me. Silver and bronze medals are nice, but it would really be nice to have a gold one for a change.

Also Dorcas_Aurelia how does the number of mini-game submissions look? It may be wise to give it another week if they are low.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
Hey, I've already watched all the episodes in the first bracket (assuming it's going to be eight) and I've also drafted what I intend to post. I'm itching for the tournament to start.

Being an alien, I can't enter the mini-game, so perhaps that's why I'm not sympathetic to mow123's request. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, mow123, but you'll just have to do do what I do: make assumptions based on the summaries in cases that you don't get to or aren't familiar with. I haven't seen about a third of these first eps myself, after all.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm also eager for this thing to get going, even though I am probably not actually ready to cast my votes just yet, at least not for all of the first group.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Just sent in my bracket. Good luck to everyone! I'm really excited about this tournament because the winner is not obvious in the slightest. Which is going to kill my minigame.... But makes things very interesting! And already I've seen some shows that I otherwise wouldn't have, or would have taken a really long time to get around to.

Go Hanasaku Iroha! You can beat Aria, I know you can!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
When working on the minigame brackets I found the C and D side much more difficult. The A and B side was pretty easy with almost every mach being fairly decisive. Well I better get it all finished up and sent. Good luck everyone!
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Minigame sent. Not at all sure if this one is a winner. A topic like best first episode seems to be far more subjective than most tournaments. Different strokes for different folks. At least with attribute based tournament people attempted to evaluate the same thing even if their criteria differed. But I guess to a degree, it's the same here as well.

Any guesses for the most overrated nomination?

I do feel C/D is stronger than A/B, but not by a whole lot. As always a lot of frustratingly tough first round picks. It's a shame we went with the 64 participant route. Having weaker inclusions makes the earlier rounds much easier to predict.

errinundra wrote:
Hey, I've already watched all the episodes in the first bracket (assuming it's going to be eight) and I've also drafted what I intend to post. I'm itching for the tournament to start.

Being an alien, I can't enter the mini-game, so perhaps that's why I'm not sympathetic to mow123's request. Wink

Not true. Dorcas_Aurelia generally allows them as long he factors in the international shipping. If you win 1st or 2nd that's still a lot of anime. 3rd place's value may be questionable for international winners.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I had to do my votes very fast since I waited until almost literally the last minute to take care of them, so I went with "gut instinct" decisions on most of my picks - which means that I picked who I thought would win in some cases and who I wanted to see win in others. I had a pretty easy time picking early matches but a very hard time deciding on the Final Four, especially on the C/D side.

We'll see how things turn out. I already have in mind what I want to get with that 1st or 2nd place prize money. (Oh, wait, just I just type that down instead of just thinking it? Silly me. Laughing )

Anyway, guess I'd better get over and get the first group officially posted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 24