• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Meanings of character's names.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
No, they aren't the first oe only ones to do it, however this is an anime site, which is works of Japanese fiction, not Hebrew or Greek fiction.

Indeed. it's just that the original poster seemed suprised that names have meanings. If he's a New Zealander then chances are he's (perhaps she?) is from either a British or Maori background and both cultures have meanings to their names.
f2th

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
To clarify, yes i'm from NZ, of british descent.
The difference i see is that most english names are not words in common usage with that meaning. I never heard of anyone named "Cherry-Blossom" if you see what i mean. Most people don't know what their english names mean, or looked it up once and promptly forgot.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
f2th wrote:
To clarify, yes i'm from NZ, of british descent.
The difference i see is that most english names are not words in common usage with that meaning. I never heard of anyone named "Cherry-Blossom" if you see what i mean. Most people don't know what their english names mean, or looked it up once and promptly forgot.

Smith.
Bailey.
Miller.
Woods.
Forrest.
Gardner.
Butler.
Cook.

Et cetera.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
f2th

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
yeah, i said "Most" not "All"!

can you pick and English name at random and automatically know the meaning? Say "Phil", or "Shaniqua"?

what does "Bailey" mean anyway?

can we get this back on topic please ? it was fun finding out what the names of anime characters mean, and what extra meaning that gives to their personalities.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
f2th wrote:

Stipulated.

f2th wrote:
can you pick and English name at random and automatically know the meaning? Say "Phil", or "Shaniqua"?

Yes, I can. Although the former is originally a Greek name, and I beg to question whether the latter is an English name in any way. Though I suppose the case could be made that it derives from an ethnolect or sociolect of English... oh, nevermind.

f2th wrote:
what does "Bailey" mean anyway?

It's the term for the outer wall of a castle (as in the "motte-and-bailey" style so favoured by the Norman conquerors of Britain), or alternatively, the area enclosed by this wall. The name has been part of English naming conventions since the middle ages.

f2th wrote:
can we get this back on topic please ? it was fun finding out what the names of anime characters mean, and what extra meaning that gives to their personalities.

Yes, I agree -- we've veered a bit far off the track.

Getting back on topic, two names that often occur in anime as either personal names or surnames are Miyabi and Makoto. These are in fact the names of two of the three "uniquely" Japanese virtues praised by the court poets and scholars of the Heian era (794-1192). 雅 (miyabi) is "courtliness". 誠 (makoto) is "simplicity" or "sincerity".

Oddly, or perhaps not so oddly, given its meaning, the third virtue never puts in an appearance as a personal or family name. 哀 (aware) means ”sensitivity, sadness, yearning", and is closely related to the probably more familiar term natsukashii. The absence of this third virtue is probably the result of its potentially negative meaning.

The use of "virtue-names" (such as the English names "Faith" or "Hope", or even "Modesty" or "Chastity") is fairly widespread around the world.

One place, related to anime, where aware does occur is in critical analysis of the anime medium. Certain anime (and non-anime Japanese films) reflect this Japanese tradition of mono no aware, a sort of sad consciousness of the transience of existence. For instance, that is the case with Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
f2th wrote:

As can I for most greek, latin and biblical names. Doesn't Phil get it's root from the Greek word love. As in philosophy, pedophilia, or hemophilia (blood lover). Isn't this why Philidelphia is the city of brotherly love. I always thought the name Phil Hartman (sp?) was as cool in it's redundancy Yomiko Readman. Phillip Fry of Futurama was named after the screwdriver of the same name.

I do not know any Shaniquas in real life or fiction so I would hardly consider it a typical name.

Then there are the huge collection of Heathers, Ashleys, Brooks, Heaths, Halleys and Glens which are fun nature themed names. The very popular Christian, Chris, Christina, Christine and all of the variations. Actually any biblical (David, Matthew, Adam, John, Mary, Joshua, etc.) name will have an association to it.

There are a slew of names that have that are great homonyms as well, Phil (fill) being such a case. Another fun one is Robin which is traditionally not named after the bird. One story I wrote had two characters named Miles and Art, both who had ties to their homonym name meanings, not the true roots of Miles (soldier) and Art (Arthur). Of course Miles was also named after Lois McMaster Bujold's famous Miles Vorkosigan character, who was in turn named after Mark Twain's character.

This trend is not only local to the US and Japan. My favorite British show is Spaced where it is even pointed out that the main character Daisy is named after a flower. There puppy is even named Colin, although that one is a bit more obscure. Black Books' main characters are Bernard Black and Mannie Bianco which is just silly.

There is also a association with other people with the same name. Names like Luke, Igor, and Conan come with popular ties. You don't name your character, character's sword, or yourself Masamune or Musashi without having most of your Japanese populance having a association. I'm still always amazed how often the name Hideki comes up in post World War II Japan.

Even though you might not realize it names like Maximillian and Ruth (opposite of Ruthless) actually mean what you might expect them to. As are the names Woodstock (which has both the concert and bird to associate with) and Victor.

One of my favorite things is when one needs an active understanding of both languages to understand a cleaver name. I'm not sure sure if it was intentional, but Cloe in Noir sounds like Kuroi in Japanese which is brilliant. Also the Jyoji George word play in Kaze no Yojimbo is creative. Did you know Noa's labor Alphonse means Ready for Battle in old German. The Kampher in Gundam 0080 means something like strugle or fight, but I can't remember at the moment. I think it has the same root as Hitler's famous Mein Kamph (sorry about the spelling since I don't speak German).

There is hardly a popular name in the English language that doesn't evoke an association, literal meaning or fun homonym to it. I could go on for hours on this topic.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Only Japanese name that I know the meaning of aside from Sakura off the top of my head is Fubuki. Which means snow storm.

Technically its not an anime name but its from the new Nippon Ichi game "Disgaea 2" and the opening sequence is anime and it has strong anime influences so I think it'll count.

And the name Fubuki fits the character since he's from a clan of snow ninjas.
Code001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
mrgazpacho wrote:
blind_assassin wrote:

vaguely remember something of it from the Metal Gear Solid 3 boards on Gfaqs cause everyone wondered why that one guy who controls lightning kept saying "Kuwabara Kuwabara" over and over.

No; according to Japanese superstition, the mulberry tree is less likely to be struck by lightning than any other tree.

So the guy is probably saying that to protect himself from the dangerous ability that he is using.

And it's therefore also easy to see how it became a general incantation to ward off bad luck Smile

which is ironic because spoiler[he dies by being struck by lightning]

spoiler[That's because, during the end, he doesn't say those famous words and actually starts to mock the thunder.] Cool
Stellarleen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching Bleach and the other day I was flipping through a Japanese cookbook that I have and I saw that "ichigo" is Japanese for strawberry. I'm assuming that this is pronounced the same as Ichigo... but I can't imagine that his name is translated as strawberry. Perhaps this is another case of "depending on the Kanji"?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:30 am Reply with quote
Stellarleen wrote:
I just started watching Bleach and the other day I was flipping through a Japanese cookbook that I have and I saw that "ichigo" is Japanese for strawberry. I'm assuming that this is pronounced the same as Ichigo... but I can't imagine that his name is translated as strawberry. Perhaps this is another case of "depending on the Kanji"?

That's right:

Ichigo's name is written 一護 (ichigo) with the kanji for "one" (ichi) and "protect" (go).

The word "strawberry" is written 苺, but pronounced the same way (ichigo).

- abunai
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:

Fubuki. Which means snow storm.

Technically its not an anime name

Actually, there is Arcade Gamer Fubuki, although the only snow storm associated with her would be the exposure of white panties... Rolling Eyes
hayakunero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Ichigo's name is written 一護 (ichigo) with the kanji for "one" (ichi) and "protect" (go).

The word "strawberry" is written 苺, but pronounced the same way (ichigo).

- abunai

日本語の知識をずいぶんお持ちですね。
abunaiさんなら分かってくれると思いますが、苺と一護は全く同じ発音?ではありません。強く言うところが違うんです。あと高低アクセントもあって、人の名前と物の名前ではアクセントが違うことが多いですね。私は関西弁ですが、共通語でも多分違うと思いますよ。まあ、外人さんにはどうでもいいことだと思うんですが。 Surprised
こういう場合は発音が違うというのか、アクセントが違うというのか分かりません。どうなんでしょう?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
日本語の知識をずいぶんお持ちですね。
abunaiさんなら分かってくれると思いますが、苺と一護は全く同じ発音?ではありません。強く言うところが違うんです。あと高低アクセントもあって、人の名前と物の名前ではアクセントが違うことが多いですね。私は関西弁ですが、共通語でも多分違うと思いますよ。まあ、外人さんにはどうでもいいことだと思うんですが。 Surprised

Teh Rules wrote:
2) This forum is an English-language forum. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post.

For those of you who are interested in doing so, feel free to test your hiragana translation skills.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
日本語の知識をずいぶんお持ちですね。

Yes, it's quite true that, to a native Japanese speaker the difference between "Ichigo" the personal name and "ichigo" the word for strawberry will be much more audible, and that accent and inflection plays a large part in this. But we are not dealing with small nuances here -- rather, we are dealing with words that seem like perfect homonyms to a non-native speaker.

Also, I might point out that not only does the Bleach manga make joking reference to the kanji reading of Ichigo's name, it also (unless my recollection is faulty) makes at least one joke about his name being deliberately misinterpreted as 苺 (ichigo, "strawberry").

So you're right, but you're overstating your case.

- abunai
hayakunero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks. You are always gentle and kind. Smile Non native Japaese speakers don't have to care accurate Japanese pronunciation. Laughing
Tony K. wrote:
Teh Rules wrote:
2) This forum is an English-language forum. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post.

For those of you who are interested in doing so, feel free to test your hiragana translation skills.

Sorry. I didn't use English.
What's hiragara translation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4