• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Mirrinus wrote:
I've been keeping tallies of the recent Encyclopedia scores, and it seems this title has been receiving a consistant 5-6 "Worst Ever" votes every single day for the past week or two. Suspicious?

I don't know why people vote Worst-ever on things like Toki wa Kakeru Shoujo and Haruhi, yet there's no worst-evers for Mai-hime (which isn't a bad anime, but still...). It disturbs me.

Quote:
and I'm not that fond of Hare Hare Yukai the ending.

*Twitches*
Don't worry, there's still hope for you...
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
It's not a bad song, and if I had to rate Bouken Bouken Desho, Hare Hare Yukai, and Come On Let's Dance Baby (is this the official title? I forget) on a scale from 1 to 5, they would all get a 3. So they are approximately equally good, even though by 3 different composers I think.

But to me clearly Hare Hare Yukai is still the worst, and the order of goodness to me is as I said previously. I just wanted to clarify that it's not like Hare Hare Yukai is a terrible song or anything, while the others are great songs. They're all average to me.

To be honest, I fully understand anyone giving Haruhi a worst-ever vote. A very abnormal and eccentric show often gets such votes from some people. I am surprised Haruhi does not get way more than it does, really. In a way, I'm also surprised why Haruhi is as popular as it is. I understand it being very popular as it deserves to be so (and in my opinion one of the best anime of all-time)...but I wouldn't have expected the public to welcome it en-masse as seems to be the case. The show has too many eccentricities and some people don't like that. It's also in a genre that some people won't like (people who only like fighting shows, etc).
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
It's not a bad song, and if I had to rate Bouken Bouken Desho, Hare Hare Yukai, and Come On Let's Dance Baby (is this the official title? I forget) on a scale from 1 to 5, they would all get a 3. So they are approximately equally good, even though by 3 different composers I think.

But to me clearly Hare Hare Yukai is still the worst, and the order of goodness to me is as I said previously. I just wanted to clarify that it's not like Hare Hare Yukai is a terrible song or anything, while the others are great songs. They're all average to me.

Ah, no worries man, I was just joking around. And the "Come on Let's Dance Baby" song is called Koi no Mikuru Densetsu, though I call it Come on Let's Dance Baby a lot too. Anime smile + sweatdrop

EDIT: True, true. I feel that people just rate popular or well-reviewed things worst-ever, just for spite. I can see that some people might not get the appeal of Haruhi, but in no way does it deserve Worst-ever, IMO.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
I don't know why people vote Worst-ever on things like Toki wa Kakeru Shoujo and Haruhi, yet there's no worst-evers for Mai-hime (which isn't a bad anime, but still...). It disturbs me.
A lot of people do it solely because a title is popular. There's a strange phenomena I've noticed with people where before something becomes popular, they love it. Then it becomes popular and suddenly they hate it. This is sort of the same thing, except you have people who just automatically hate what's popular because they think that makes them "cool outsiders."

Or they just want to piss Haruhi fans off.

There's a special spot reserved in closed space for fools like that. Twisted Evil

Some people genuinely don't like the series, but I have great difficulty believing that a majority of those votes are from people who just plain don't like it.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi's behavior may offend a group of people. These people might rate Haruhi worst-ever, and their rating would be justified I think (not just out of spite). This is just one reason, I can probably think of a couple more...

Some people might give all hentai-related anime a Worst Ever rating. It's hard to say if this is really justified though, but it's borderline. (Haruhi isn't directly related to hentai I think, but since Noizi Ito draws real hentai...)
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Haruhi's behavior may offend a group of people. These people might rate Haruhi worst-ever, and their rating would be justified I think (not just out of spite). This is just one reason, I can probably think of a couple more...

Some people might give all hentai-related anime a Worst Ever rating. It's hard to say if this is really justified though, but it's borderline. (Haruhi isn't directly related to hentai I think, but since Noizi Ito draws real hentai...)

Er, there's absolutely nothing even remotely hentai about this series.

As my students would say, most of the people giving the Worst-Ever votes are just "a bunch of haters" - and "haters" don't need a good reason to rag on something. Rolling Eyes The rest just don't "get" the series at all or are too new to anime to appreciate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Porcupine wrote:

Er, there's absolutely nothing even remotely hentai about this series.

As my students would say, most of the people giving the Worst-Ever votes are just "a bunch of haters" - and "haters" don't need a good reason to rag on something. Rolling Eyes The rest just don't "get" the series at all or are too new to anime to appreciate it.

Or, on the other hand, they've been anime fans for a long time and have a general dislike for what they consider the "moe invasion" that they mistakingly believe SHnY is representing. That was one of the reasons I almost didn't watch the show, but luckily I was able to open up a little and enjoy the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ishmael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:17 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

To be honest, I fully understand anyone giving Haruhi a worst-ever vote. A very abnormal and eccentric show often gets such votes from some people. I am surprised Haruhi does not get way more than it does, really. In a way, I'm also surprised why Haruhi is as popular as it is. I understand it being very popular as it deserves to be so (and in my opinion one of the best anime of all-time)...but I wouldn't have expected the public to welcome it en-masse as seems to be the case. The show has too many eccentricities and some people don't like that. It's also in a genre that some people won't like (people who only like fighting shows, etc).

I attribute the number of "worst-evers" for such things as people trying to counter its popularity. They hear it's very popular, and in the case of TMoHS, it seems VERY popular, so they watch it, dislike it, so they go "why is this popular" and vote "worst ever" as they deem it does not deserve its rating.
I have seen that attitude with almost everything - CDs a lot, if a band is popular, people are going to be much severe in their criticism (listening to metal does not help, that kinda attitude is multiplied tenfold), and for movies, such as Lord of the rings. I can understand people not liking it - I just don't understand people thinking it's such crap it deserves a worst ever.

I find it surprising as well though that the show got this popular, since they were taking a risk by showing the "movie" first. But I have to say, so far so good!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I think its a bunch (or a few) fans of other shows on the top 10 list and they can't stand Haruhi popping up and overtaking their favorite show(s).
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I never meant to imply that Haruhi doesn't get a lot (or most of) it's Worst Ever votes because of dumb reasons (spite, trying to compete for a Top 10 spot, etc). All the reasons you guys mention are probably part of it.

I only meant to say that some people might still give Haruhi a Worst Ever votes for legitimate reasons like I wrote above (Haruhi's personality offends them, a genre they don't like, etc).

Also, if a lot of Worst Ever votes are suddenly appearing recently now that it has been domestically released, that actually implies that the recent Worst Evers are legitimate. Illegitimate (spiteful, etc) Worst Ever votes would have been cast long ago. Votes cast now are because people just saw the show now that it's been officially released. And Worst Ever votes that arrive now are more likely to be due to a new group (not hardcore "fans") of people watching this show, and perhaps giving it an honest rating they feel is just.
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
That's not surprising, considering the show is for hardcore fans Wink
Also, placing the episodes in chronological order kills half of the show's appeal, in my opinion.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
So far though, chronological order or broadcast order is not much different. It's only a 1 episode difference. None of the blame should be put on the order I think.

If anything, I think people will have a better view of this series if they view Episode 1-3 before Episode 00. But that's against both DVD order and chronological order and broadcast order.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:14 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
So far though, chronological order or broadcast order is not much different. It's only a 1 episode difference. None of the blame should be put on the order I think.

If anything, I think people will have a better view of this series if they view Episode 1-3 before Episode 00. But that's against both DVD order and chronological order and broadcast order.

Errr, what? The original broadcast order was: 11, 1, 2, 7, 3, 9, 8, 10, 14, 4, 13, 12, 5, 6. This ordering is achronological in regards to the story, but it is chronological in regards to the narrative. The main plot, as seen in the TV series, is shown in episodes 1-6 (the ones titled "Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi"). The plot is framed by stories taken from later books, which are used to develop the characters and give the viewers a general idea of what's going on. In the end it builds up to the climax in the two final episodes. Seriously, just rewatch episodes 14 and 6 and tell me which one do you think is more fit to the series' finale? The one where we see a dramatic development of the relationship between the two main characters, or the one where Kyon is lugging around a heater?

Last edited by Darth_Blade on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Oh...I want! I just adore Nagato! I've pondered a few of the figures over at TRSI (mainly anything Yuki, but also one of the Haruhi figures), but oh my....that's fantastic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 117 of 213