• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Kyoto Animation also did AIR the TV series (recently licensed) and Kanon 2006, both of which had excellent animation quality (I loved their work with the snowfall effects in Kanon). After Lucky☆Star, their next work will be CLANNAD, which will certainly have fantastic animation, as it's the third Key/Visual Arts work they will do.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Maybe Nurse Witch Komugi and Munto, were the likeliest released candidates I noticed when searching the ANN Encyclopedia....can anyone comment on the animation quality of these two shows?

Nurse Witch Komugi has very high animation quality. You can tell Kyoto Animation worked on it. Maybe slightly lower than KyoAni's later works, but it's comparable and high quality nonetheless. Most reviews seem to completely ignore this fact because of the content though, which is generally not taken as well. The content may not be what you're expecting... It's 100% comedy. Something that's kind of along the lines of Excel Saga (it's more the "crazy" type comedy). So, just to warn you if you decide to look into it. And although it's a spinoff of The SoulTaker, you don't have to watch it. It seems to take place in a completely different universe actually. It just has characters from The SoulTaker and a few parodies (the show is mainly a parody show actually).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
The only other show I know of that they did is FMP:2nd Raid which has equally good animation (but an uglier drawing style which I dislike, and also a totally boring story that doesn't interest me in the least bit).
Shocked
Wow, that part of your post just doesn't compute with me. Do you just not like sci-fi mecha or just the FMP! franchise?

As for what Kyoto's worked on, all the series they've outright done have pretty much been named. They've also done some minor work on numerous series and, unless the credits lie, they've even worked on things like Inuyasha. (Or at least someone from Kyoto has.)

Regarding your comments about Bandai using " the Geneon dub studio" that's unfortunately not really accurate. While Geneon has used Bang Zoom a fair bit, it's not really their studio. Unlike Funimation and ADV, they don't actually have in house dubbing (at least, that's my understanding) which is why some of their recent titles have come with Singapore English dubs made by Odex. (I'm actually hearing some good things about their dub of Karen though, so maybe Odex doesn't always have to suck.)

I wish Geneon would use an in house English dubbing studio like the Texas Two, but unfortunately they're a much smaller company. (Again, that's my understanding and finding corporate information on any anime studio is likened unto the grand quest for the proverbial needle in the equally proverbial hay stack.)
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
The only other show I know of that they did is FMP:2nd Raid which has equally good animation (but an uglier drawing style which I dislike, and also a totally boring story that doesn't interest me in the least bit). Did Kyoto Animation do anything else that has been released?

Kinda surprised no one else has mentioned this, but KyoAni also produced the quasi-prequel to FMP! TSR, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. Assuming you've seen some of the more comedic moments from TSR, Fumoffu focuses entirely on Sousuke and Kaname's highschool mishaps while eschewing any of the story development that occur in the other two series.

The animation definately has a lighter tone than that of TSR's using the same character designs for Kaname's schoolmates and Mithril's mercenaries. The visuals aren't as sharp as TSR's, but Fumoffu was KyoAni's first self-produced series and the overall subject matter of this series diminishes most of the impact the animation blemishes would have anyways.

According to KyoAni's wiki page they also did a couple of online OVAs, though I don't have any info on those.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Another 15 or so "Worst Ever" votes since the last time I brought it up, 5 of which were made in the past 12 hours or so. Interesting...
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm considering buying Komugi, but as PantsGoblin said it's 100% comedy. This is obvious looking at the box, I don't need to see the show. It's also obvious because ADVision released it. I currently have a semi-ban on buying ADVision cause most of what they release these days is comedic in a way that is not to my tastes (although the best anime ever made to me, Godannar, was released by ADVision ohwell). So I'm not sure if I will buy Komugi but thanks for the further comments on it, PantsGoblin.

Yeah, I knew about Fumoffu. It's also obvious to me just from watching the trailer that Fumoffu has the same level of animation as Haruhi and 2nd Raid. Fumoffu is the next likieliest candidate to buy, except I absolutely hate the FMP series (I'm slightly miffed that I wasted so much money to buy the whole set of 2nd Raid, but ohwell) so it's out of the question for me. I also hate the FMP drawing style (but it is more acceptable when Kyoto Animation drew it because the style changes subtly...the Gonzo style is unwatchable and blows out my eyes). I hate everything about FMP except for the super awesome animation aspect of it, and the kungfu twins which were only in 2nd Raid. No kungfu twins in Fumoffu so there's no reason for me to buy it.

I'm not a fan of sci-fi shows or mecha shows, true, but I'll watch any show if its good. I don't like mecha but Godannar is the best anime of all time to me and it's mecha. FMP to me is not a good show and this only compounds the fact that it's in a genre I don't instinctively like. Actually, maybe I have no genre preference innately, hard to say.

About Haruhi getting negative votes in the Encyclopedia, that's only natural. After seeing the show, there are obviously things about it which could give the show a Worst Ever vote by some people. Furthermore, when a show is domestically released, a whole new breed of people with different tastes (such as myself) who aren't into the fansubbing/downloading thing, get to put up their opinions. And that new category of people often has different tastes (on average) than the fansub/download/hardcore anime fans, at least from what I've seen.

To me honest, I find it laughable that Miyazaki shows are rated so highly...not only here but in most places. I rank most of them as among the worst animes I've ever seen, I hate Miyazaki shows (but I own Princess Mononoke, which is half-watchable to me). Everyone has different opinions. In my opinion the Encyclopedia ratings here are useless because the tastes are so different from my own. Sometimes we agree, but usually "we" are opposite. Most of the shows I think of as best ever are rated as terrible here, and vice versa. Haruhi is a rare case in that "we" agree.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
forum lag resulted in double/triple-post, sorry. Anyone feel free to delete this post. BTW I am often having terrible problems with this forum's lag. Is this the case for others as well?

Last edited by Porcupine on Sun May 27, 2007 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Regarding your comments about Bandai using " the Geneon dub studio" that's unfortunately not really accurate. While Geneon has used Bang Zoom a fair bit, it's not really their studio. Unlike Funimation and ADV, they don't actually have in house dubbing
True. That's why my post which you are responding to also had a statement in paranthesis where I said Bang Zoom "usually" does Geneon stuff. You are right it is not always. And Bang Zoom has done Bandai a number of times before. But Bang Zoom primarily sticks to Geneon.

There is a little bit of mixture with everything. ADVision's dubbing (which is the worst IMO by far) is the most in-house, but even they let a couple of their VAs leak over onto Funimation dubs (Monica Rial, etc) or vice versa. Funimation is also fairly in-house but they also out-contract to other studios (Utena, done by Pokemon people, etc). And the group/dub studio that does the bulk of Funimation stuff has occasionally done stuff for other companies too (US Manga's "Munto" for example, which I've not seen but was brought up in this thread since Kyoto did it, still dunno if this series is any good). So Funimation's is not 100% in-house either. No one is really 100% in-house, except maybe ADVision.

Saying that Bang Zoom is strongly associated with Geneon is true, I think. Anyways, the other thing is that the DVD authoring is by SpeeDVD/Nightjar, which is very strongly associated with Geneon, as well. Combined, this TV is exactly like a Geneon DVD in almost every aspect (except the extras, which are like Kadokawa USA extras, although so far only 2 Kadokawa shows exist, FMP:2nd Raid and Haruhi).

And ohyeah, I actually find it a positive thing when an anime has Worst Ever ratings. Animes with lots of good ratings but also a bunch of Worst Ever ratings are more likely to be good than animes with all good ratings, or all good/mediocre ratings. Another reason why rating anime is kinda hard to do. There are too many different tastes and usually, the stuff that is by far the best to one group of people, is stuff that other groups of people absolutely detest.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Funimation is also fairly in-house but they also out-contract to other studios (Utena, done by Pokemon people, etc).

Wait, what? Why are you mentioning Utena with Funimation? It's a Central Park Media anime. Funimation just has broadcasting rights for it.

Anyway, since that's unrelated to Haruhi, I'm very pleased that my special edition volume 1 shipped a couple of days ago. I should have it in hand on Wednesday or Thursday, I think. I'm looking forward to rewatching the series. I think I'll go with DVD order this time around, just to see how different it will feel. I'm pretty partial to broadcast order, but this will be fun too, and will likely help me make sense of a few things.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Doh. I just assumed it was Funimation's, since it just showed on Funimation Channel, like you said. I guess it makes sense then. Probably Slayers is also Central Park Media then (also showing on Funi channel, and also with Pokemon VAs).

I've never seen the broadcast order, but looking at the list on the ANN Encyclopedia, the DVD 1 order is not much different than the broadcast order, so far (same order except 1 episode "missing"). It will only be really different starting with DVD 2.

I wonder, the books must go into far more detail than the anime, right? Since there are so many books. Is a lot of really important extra stuff revealed in the books, or are they mostly all just standalone comical episodes?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I wonder, the books must go into far more detail than the anime, right? Since there are so many books. Is a lot of really important extra stuff revealed in the books, or are they mostly all just standalone comical episodes?

It's a mix of standalone stories and really important stuff. For example, the books do get around to explaining a little bit of what the event three years ago was, but there's stuff like another murder mystery (the snowed-in-mountain counterpart to the lone island syndrome), too. Although, a number (if not all) of the little stories provide insight into the workings of Haruhi's universe.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
We all wait for our LE DVDs. Must. Not. Sleep. Till. It. Is. Here.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's faster to just buy at Suncoast. You could have had it last week for $45. Dunno what you pay online, probably cheaper by a bit. I tried to look for the LE at Best Buy today but it wasn't there. Some Best Buys put stuff out weeks early too, but lately our local Best Buys have obeyed the release date.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
I discovered an epic thread on the SOS-dan imageboard with templates for Haruhi-ism T-shirts featuring all of the characters and thought I'd post it here for anyone interested in making one. I'm really impressed by all of the effort that went into making these things; maybe I'll make myself an Imouto-ism or a Nyoro~n-ism shirt the next time I have some cash and free time on my hands.

I'd SO make a Taniguchi shirt if someone could make a template from this image:

(Which is from this video.)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
So, it officially comes out today... I know some people wanted pictures taken of this event, so I'll be taking some tonight... If they allow me to. I'll be posting them later tonight if anyone's interested...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 113 of 213