• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Not So Epic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I can verify that H/F pronunciation overlap is a real piece of obscure Japanese pronunciation (and pununciation) trivia, but drawing a blank as to how it matters for Hatoful Boyfriend. Fartful Boyfriend? In this particular case, it is perhaps more relevant that the Japanese "a" sound can also be treated like the "ar" in British English when used in loan words.

Also, "Samurai Heart" is a banger.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:02 pm Reply with quote
GDinn wrote:
I know it's mostly irrelevant, but this part of the sentence in the Hatoful Boyfriend section confuses me.

"...given Japanese pronunciation rules, the "H" is pronounced the same as "F.""

Where is this F pronunciation coming into play? Is It supposed to be "Fatoful?" I thought the pun was in pronunciation of the "a" sound: Hato for pigeon, Hāto for heart?

I've only ever dealt with the game through translation, so is there something in the Kanji/Katakana that explains that?

Sorry for the weird question, I'm just very confused and eager to fix that by learning.

This was on me, the line slipped past me in my draft. I thought the punishment for Hatoful Boyfriend was that the Hatoful was also "Fateful", but it's supposed to be "heartful".
GDinn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no worries! I mean, I learned something new because of it, so even if it was a mistake, it's a win in my book! Thanks!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The Cait Sith thing also could have been avoided had someone looked at the katakana and noticed it was pronounced the Scots Gaelic way. I can imagine a localization director or voice director now seeing this and realizing they're stuck with a comically wrong pronunciation. And not in the fun way like Castlevania with names like Sypha Belnades and Olrox. Have fun with that, SQEX

As for Epic, it's just the latest in how the entire company has become bigger, but also a shadow of its former self. They basically don't make games anymore, the Epic Store from what I understand isn't really generating revenue let alone profit (people mostly get it for free games), and Sweeney keeps making bizarre, mercurial decisions that further damage things. The dude's Twitter alone is enough cause for concern. And with Epic saying they're moving to make it "a platform", I would advise studios to not rely on the Unreal Engine so much. Best to have a backup plan
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:48 pm Reply with quote
If Square Enix is dead-set against pronouncing "Cait Sith" roughly correctly, I'd rather they change the spelling to "Kett Shee" than change the pronunciation to "Kate Sihth."
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:29 pm Reply with quote
My Top 25

1. Super Mario World
2. Kirby Superstar
3. Donkey Kong Country 2
4. Sonic 2
5. Sonic 3
6. Sonic & Knuckles
7. CastleVania Portrait Of Ruin
8. Street Fighter 2
9. Metal Slug 3
10. CastleVania Order Of Ecclesia
11. Apollo Justice
12. Yoshi’s Island
13. Metal Slug 2
14. LOZ Twilight Princess
15. Resident Evil 4/RE4 Remake
16. Maverick Hunter X
17. Marvel’s Spider-Man
18. The Witcher 2: Assassin Of Kings
19. Fire Emblem Awakening
20. Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
21. RE2 Remake
22. GTA San Andreas
23. Ninja Gaiden (2004)
24. Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
25. Call Of Duty World At War
thecowardlyantoine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Many have countered that Final Fantasy VII being set in a fantasy world that doesn't have an Ireland or Scotland means that Square Enix can handle it however they want. Interestingly, though, the Japanese script pronounces "Cait Sith" closer to the original Gaelic pronunciation.

I reject this notion; this is just a warmed-over Thermian Argument. For the uninitiated, the Thermian Argument is the illegitimate claim that any criticism of a text can be nullified by lore or in-universe explanations

I think I'm confused. I thought the Thermian Argument was the thing people used when they argued why Squeenix was wrong to not include Black people in FF16 because they cited real-world history and the argument was you can do anything you want in a fictional world you created. If it's actually about favoring real-world history and logic then Isn't this contradicting that past argument? Or if it's about arguing a creator shouldn't chained to the real world and do what they want in fiction with no reason to do so then this time it wouldn't make sense. I'm confused if people want real world history and logic to apply to fictional worlds or not.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Considering that Square-Enix went through the trouble of re-spelling "Aeris" into "Aerith" long ago, but never bothered to fix "Cait Sith" into "Cat Sìth" (or "Cat Sith", "Cait Shith", etc.), then the company kind of brought all of this upon themselves.

Regarding the Aeris vs. Aerith thing, for some reason she's still called Aeris in the official Spanish translation of the FFVII series, and Sephiroth is called Sefirot, I remember watching Sakurai's showcase for Sephiroth in Smash Ultimate and the official Nintendo of Spain YouTube channel called him Sefirot, even in the video's thumbnail it was spelled like that. I think it shows that some of the spelling or pronunciations of some characters is arbitrary and it depends on the language as well. Heck, in the Neutral Spanish dub of Dragon Ball Vegeta is pronounced "ve-geh-tah", while in Breath of the Wild's dub Hyrule is pronounced "ee-roo-leh"

Speaking about a personal Top list of games, Edge magazine released a list of the best games from the last 30 years and man, it was such a boring list, it felt like it was A.I generated. To be fair, perhaps it was a list of the "most influential games" plnety of important and influential titles weren't featured
WoodDude

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Regarding the Aeris vs. Aerith thing, for some reason she's still called Aeris in the official Spanish translation of the FFVII series, and Sephiroth is called Sefirot, I remember watching Sakurai's showcase for Sephiroth in Smash Ultimate and the official Nintendo of Spain YouTube channel called him Sefirot, even in the video's thumbnail it was spelled like that.

Well, Sephiroth's name is based on the Sefirot so I assume they spelt it that way to convey that. But If we went off the Hebrew pronunciation of Sefirot his name would be pronounced "Sphere-Oh". Cait Sith is how the character's name is spelt in Japanese too. And in other media franchises like Persona as well. I don't think spelling is all that important to the argument, nor what culture a name is based on. They'll pronounce it however they want.

Localization in general has a lot of language and culture "erasure" but most of the time we're told it's not a big deal when an English version changes a Japanese name or erases some words or culture. God knows Final Fantasy alone has done plenty of Japanese culture erasure and censorship over the years. I doubt Gaelic purists are going to fare any better on convincing them to handle things differently. But it also probably doesn't help they keep giving the character a Scottish accent in the English version of the games despite Scotland not existing on Gaia. It was always kind of odd how Cait Sith was the only character in the entire universe to have an accent in the dub. They could have axed that for Rebirth but they didn't.
GDinn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:45 pm Reply with quote
thecowardlyantoine wrote:

I think I'm confused. I thought the Thermian Argument was the thing people used when they argued why Squeenix was wrong to not include Black people in FF16 because they cited real-world history and the argument was you can do anything you want in a fictional world you created. If it's actually about favoring real-world history and logic then Isn't this contradicting that past argument? Or if it's about arguing a creator shouldn't chained to the real world and do what they want in fiction with no reason to do so then this time it wouldn't make sense. I'm confused if people want real world history and logic to apply to fictional worlds or not.

Like many arguments, the Thermian argument can be misused or incorrectly cited by people trying to express something else. But in this particular case, it's justified.

What the Thermian argument expresses is that in-universe justifications aren't a sufficient explanation for why things are the way they are in a particular fiction. It's not a "You have to be factually accurate" or "everything must follow strict logic," nor is it "you can do whatever you want, it's fiction." It's "Don't tell me about the worldbuilding, tell me why you, the author, chose to do this."

Thermian Arguments are often used against criticism. "I think the violence in the 40k Universe is often egregious, and the fact that the vast majority of the super-powered characters are male is frustrating." "Well, if you understood the lore, you'd know why the weapons need to be so powerful to defeat Chaos, and you'd know that Space Marines are all cloned from their gene-father, who themselves are cloned from the Emperor, who is male. That's why there aren't any female Space Marines." That doesn't actually respond to the actual critique.

Another way to describe it is using a Watsonian Response to a Doyelist Question. The FFXVI situation wasn't an example of the Thermian Argument, even though it seems close.

What happened: People said "There sure aren't many PoC in this game." SE responded "We're basing it on this aspect of history." People responded "You did bad research."

If the response from SE had been "Humanity came into being from the shed scales of a crystalline white dragon, which is why they look the way they do." That would be a Thermian Argument. It doesn't actually address the real criticism.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:42 pm Reply with quote
GDinn wrote:
thecowardlyantoine wrote:

Like many arguments, the Thermian argument can be misused or incorrectly cited by people trying to express something else. But in this particular case, it's justified.

What the Thermian argument expresses is that in-universe justifications aren't a sufficient explanation for why things are the way they are in a particular fiction. It's not a "You have to be factually accurate" or "everything must follow strict logic," nor is it "you can do whatever you want, it's fiction." It's "Don't tell me about the worldbuilding, tell me why you, the author, chose to do this."

Thermian Arguments are often used against criticism. "I think the violence in the 40k Universe is often egregious, and the fact that the vast majority of the super-powered characters are male is frustrating." "Well, if you understood the lore, you'd know why the weapons need to be so powerful to defeat Chaos, and you'd know that Space Marines are all cloned from their gene-father, who themselves are cloned from the Emperor, who is male. That's why there aren't any female Space Marines." That doesn't actually respond to the actual critique.

Another way to describe it is using a Watsonian Response to a Doyelist Question. The FFXVI situation wasn't an example of the Thermian Argument, even though it seems close.

What happened: People said "There sure aren't many PoC in this game." SE responded "We're basing it on this aspect of history." People responded "You did bad research."

If the response from SE had been "Humanity came into being from the shed scales of a crystalline white dragon, which is why they look the way they do." That would be a Thermian Argument. It doesn't actually address the real criticism.

Yeah, this is basically it. A lot of people point out to there not being a "Scotland" or a "Scotland-equivalent" in FF7, and as such the pronunciation of Cait Sith can be however they want it to be. This ignores that Cait Sith is a very intentional reference to a piece of Gaelic lore in the first place; the question isn't where it came from in-universe when it's clearly a real-world reference being used and applied in a game.

It's also why I used the example of the Maori people suing the LEGO group; Lego could have tried to dodge criticism and claim that the Maori words being used as terminology in Bionicle "were being used in a fantasy setting and as such had no in-universe connection to real-world Maori language or culture", but in addition to being a lazy excuse it still doesn't really answer for actual Maori being used as terminology in the first place. It was very refreshing that the LEGO group actually recognized that it had done wrong in appropriating Maori vocabulary, worked with the Maori people to establish guidelines as per the use of their language, and made sure to avoid "borrowing" Maori words for future toylines. And at no point did Bionicle suffer as a result, either.

Silver Kirin wrote:

Speaking about a personal Top list of games, Edge magazine released a list of the best games from the last 30 years and man, it was such a boring list, it felt like it was A.I generated. To be fair, perhaps it was a list of the "most influential games" plnety of important and influential titles weren't featured

This is a "me" thing, but I have a major problem with a lot of those lists because I have no real emotional connections to a ton of the games that the gaming community puts on a pedestal. Like, Deus Ex? Fallout? Sure, they were probably technical marvels for their time (and I stand by The Master's writing in F1), but the games just... don't mean anything to me. You can sit there and tell me all day about how Crysis and Far Cry were HUGE DEALS for the industry, it'll just be in one ear and out the other. A result of gaming being so heavily technofetishistic.

I cannot say my list is inherently better than anyone else's, those were just games that meant a lot to me in particular. I'm not gonna ask anyone to give a rat's ass about Skygunners or whatever, lol. But I can still point to any one of those games and tell you where I was when I was playing them or what kind of headspace I was in at the time. All of my old PS2 games had a story to them, in a way. (It's why getting rid of them was such a shame.) Part of why I feel bad about my current pile of shame is that I don't really have a connection to any of the games on my shelf at the moment--I have them, but because I haven't gotten around to playing them (yet), they're just blank pages so far. Crying or Very sad
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:16 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
This is a "me" thing, but I have a major problem with a lot of those lists because I have no real emotional connections to a ton of the games that the gaming community puts on a pedestal. Like, Deus Ex? Fallout? Sure, they were probably technical marvels for their time (and I stand by The Master's writing in F1), but the games just... don't mean anything to me. You can sit there and tell me all day about how Crysis and Far Cry were HUGE DEALS for the industry, it'll just be in one ear and out the other. A result of gaming being so heavily technofetishistic.

Well, everyone's list will be dictated by their personal tastes and I know that this type of list is not definitive, it's only the opinion of a magazine, but it's one of the most prestigious publications and I know that Edge tends to favor more "intellectual" and technical type of games, but still, it feels like they went for the safest choices. But even without having played so many games I'm surprised by the ranking of some and the omission of others.
The Top Five isn't that bad, Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Resident Evil 4 seemed to be universally praised for the most part.
The only JRPGs on the list are FFVII, Pokémon Red/Blue, Chrono Trigger and Persona 5. Part of me believes that, even if the list wasn't limited to games from the last 30 years, Dragon Quest III wouldn't be featured either because of its lack of popularity in the West, despite it's major inflluences in the genre. I'm also surprised that Earthbound wasn't included, and speaking about Earthbound, Undertale wasn't on the list either despite being one of the most popular indie games of all time
Fighting games were really ignored, the only ones in the list were Street Fighter II Turbo and Street Fighter IV. While SFII is incredible influential I'd say there's plenty of 2D fighters that deserve some recognition like The King of Fighters '98 which is still being played at tournaments to this day, I know Edge has more of Eurocentric point of view, but I was surprised there wasn't a single mention of Virtua Fighter, Tekken or Soul Calibur which revolutionized 3D graphics, managed to overtake SF in popularity and were highly praised.
The only racing games on the were Mario Kart 64 and 8, not even Gran Turismo which used to be PlaySation's flagship title and won several awards in the past.
Then there're games in the list that, while I like, surprised me they were featured in the Top 100 like Wario Ware Inc. and the original Advance Wars
onpufan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:37 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
It's also why I used the example of the Maori people suing the LEGO group; Lego could have tried to dodge criticism and claim that the Maori words being used as terminology in Bionicle "were being used in a fantasy setting and as such had no in-universe connection to real-world Maori language or culture", but in addition to being a lazy excuse it still doesn't really answer for actual Maori being used as terminology in the first place. It was very refreshing that the LEGO group actually recognized that it had done wrong in appropriating Maori vocabulary, worked with the Maori people to establish guidelines as per the use of their language, and made sure to avoid "borrowing" Maori words for future toylines. And at no point did Bionicle suffer as a result, either.

I remember The Saami Council did something similar with Square-Enix when they were selling a certain outfit on the cash shop in Final Fantasy 14. I never heard about a follow up to that complaint so I don't think anything came out of it and you can still buy the outfit in game. Although I think most of the community felt it was more about money than anything about culture since they kept citing their financial deal with Disney in the complaint and described their heritage as intellectual property being infringed upon

I think in cases like Disney and LEGO are they probably have more incentive to cooperate since they focus on a lot of markets in addition to being very family-friendly companies. The Saami Council's arrangement with Disney was about Frozen and I suppose Disney wanted to ensure Frozen's release in Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia went smoothly and without any PR hitches. I'm not sure how big a market those are for Final Fantasy 14. Although both those examples seem to be official, legal complaints. So far I've only seen social media buzz about Cait Sith and no group has stepped up to issue a formal complaint or lawsuit to Square-Enix. I am a bit surprised it was Cait Sith of all things that set this off though. I would have sooner guessed an Islamic or Hindu deity like Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut or Lakshmi would have been the thing to cause controversy.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:07 pm Reply with quote
GDinn wrote:

Which ended up being a trash observation amusingly enough, given there's an entire area of the game that was based off of MENA peoples. Yes, there wasn't any Black people (an issue of itself) but there was a fairly large portion that was MENA-coded (ie PoC)
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:10 pm Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
FinalVentCard wrote:

I remember The Saami Council did something similar with Square-Enix when they were selling a certain outfit on the cash shop in Final Fantasy 14. I never heard about a follow up to that complaint so I don't think anything came out of it and you can still buy the outfit in game. Although I think most of the community felt it was more about money than anything about culture since they kept citing their financial deal with Disney in the complaint and described their heritage as intellectual property being infringed upon

Yeah, the financial argument might not have been the most sympathy-inspiring way to take but it's a valid point. What SE did with the Saami is textbook cultural appropriation, borrowing cultural imagery, removing it from its original cultural context and monetizing it without any input or reference to the original culture. We touched upon that one a few months back, and SE really stuck their nose in it with that one. But like you said, there wasn't much of a follow-up so I don't think it went anywhere.

For reference, the Netflix movie Klaus also touched on the Saami and had a pretty respectful portrayal of them and their way of life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3