• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Newly Liscensed Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
I added a bigger, more detailed plot summary to the Encyclopedia entry, since the older just doesn't do it justice.

I made some technical corrections for you. Wink

Tony K. wrote:
I definitely plan on buying it and can't wait to view it with DVD quality video and Dolby Digital sound (great music and sound effects especially).

Sidenote: I found it strange that most American anime fans love DD or DTS sound. Me and my fellow fans here across the Pacific would only accept them when LPCM is not available.

Could be because few people over here have ever even heard of it being included as an audio option on any releases or just plain don't know what it is, and don't know that we're missing anything.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Sidenote: I found it strange that most American anime fans love DD or DTS sound. Me and my fellow fans here across the Pacific would only accept them when LPCM is not available.

I only have a few DVDs that are encoded in LPCM, and most of them are from either Japan or Europe. I never figured out how to get LPCM to go beyond 2.0 stereo, unless the titles I have are all just stereo. Either way it isn't a major concern since most of my LPCM DVDs are music videos which sound good in 2.0.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I heard a good theory that FUNi might get it... they seem to have the most money at the moment (FMP:TSR anyone?).

haha that's so fun, ADV has the crap season and FUNi has the great one.

By "they seem to have the most money", do you mean that licensing a costly anime like FMP:TSR shows that they have the means to buy expensive ones?
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... but it's just an assumption... probably wrong, but it's just fun to speculate like that.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I never figured out how to get LPCM to go beyond 2.0 stereo, unless the titles I have are all just stereo.

LPCM eats up much more space than DD or DTS, so most of them are just 2.0. IIRC AIR Blu-ray release will have LPCM 5.1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
So, does anyone else have any news on "newly liscensed anime"? Have any series been liscensed recently? Have there been any plans to liscense more? Which ones? Also, has Xenosaga been liscensed in the US, yet? Thanks. Very Happy

P.S. What's LPCM? I've never heard of that, until now.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
caseclosedfan414 wrote:
So, does anyone else have any news on "newly liscensed anime"? Have any series been liscensed recently?

You can either subscribe to this thread or just visit AnimeOnDVD. Compared to ANN, their user base cares more on, as well as the entire site is devoted to, North American licenses. It's written in the site's title.

caseclosedfan414 wrote:
Have there been any plans to liscense more? Which ones?

Of course there will be more. They just don't pop up as news items every other day. Companies tend to announce them at cons or before shopping seasons.

caseclosedfan414 wrote:
Also, has Xenosaga been liscensed in the US, yet? Thanks. Very Happy

No, not yet.

caseclosedfan414 wrote:
P.S. What's LPCM? I've never heard of that, until now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPCM (<- not very well-written though...)
A detailed tech spec can be found at here. Basically, the word "linear" specifies that the signal has not been differentially or logarithmically compressed, as in ADPCM, mu-law, a-law, etc. To compare how much space they occupy you can refer to Wiki's page of DVD and MPEG-2:

Quote:
* PCM: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit or 24 bit L-PCM, 2 to 6 channels, up to 6144 kbit/s
* AC-3: 48 kHz sampling rate, 1 to 5.1 (6) channels, up to 448 kbit/s
* DTS: 48 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 6 channels, Half Rate (768 kbit/s) or Full Rate (1536 kbit/s)
* MP2: 48 kHz sampling rate, 1 or 2 channels, up to 256 kbit/s
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you covered everything! Thanks, dormcat. Very Happy
Opal Jaguar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
caseclosedfan414 wrote:
So, does anyone else have any news on "newly liscensed anime"? Have any series been liscensed recently?

Other than the ones already mentioned on the past three months there's also:

Yawara
Blade of the Phantom Mask
Shadow Warrior Chronicles
Beet the Vandel Buster
Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor
Super GALS (second season)
Nerima Daikon Brothers
Pani Poni Dash!
Wings of Rean
Glass Fleet
Paradise Kiss
Spirit of the Past
Ah! My Goddess (second season)
Disgaea
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Jinki:Extend
Noein
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow! Cool! Thanks, Opal Jaguar. Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
Are there likely to be any more licences announced before the end of the year?

Also, is there any solid information on what kind of financial state the various companies are in? I read a rumor on another board that ADV was having some trouble but no one ever came up with anything beyond speculation. I'm curious about how the different companies are doing since there was talk not long ago about sales being down.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:16 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
I definitely plan on buying it and can't wait to view it with DVD quality video and Dolby Digital sound (great music and sound effects especially).

Based on my experience, most Americans don't have speakers that can do justice for DD, DTS, PCM or any other current source outside of analog radio. My personal view is that 2.0 LPCM is fine for music videos and anime, but live action films with proper 5.1 DD or DTS encoding benefit more from the extra channels than they're hurt by added compression. Anyone who can tolerate mp3's can easily enjoy DD or DTS, and that certainly includes most Americans.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:
* PCM: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit or 24 bit L-PCM, 2 to 6 channels, up to 6144 kbit/s
* AC-3: 48 kHz sampling rate, 1 to 5.1 (6) channels, up to 448 kbit/s
* DTS: 48 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 6 channels, Half Rate (768 kbit/s) or Full Rate (1536 kbit/s)
* MP2: 48 kHz sampling rate, 1 or 2 channels, up to 256 kbit/s

Just to clarify AC-3 (what it was called during the Laser Disc era) is now commonly called Dolby Digital.

I will agree with daxomi in the MP3 test. Listing to MP3s on my thanks set up sounds really compresssed compared to a DTS encoded channel. The difference between a nice PCM and DTS is undetectable, even with my 7.1 Energy Reference Connoisseur tower set. CD Japan just shipped me all 6 of the Show-Ya DVDs which are all LPCM. This is fine since they are concert DVDs. As for films I will take a surround format over LPCM for now. I also read the specs on the Air box set and it does seem that Blu-Ray has the capability to hold PCM surround. For some reason I thought LPCM could hold (theoretical side at least) up to 8 channels.

PS Opal, that is a great avatar! Isn''t that the scene where Hikaru hands Minmei her microphone in Flashback 2012? I used to watch that music video so often back in the late 80s. It really is a flashback for me too.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote
Opal Jaguar wrote:
caseclosedfan414 wrote:

Other than the ones already mentioned on the past three months there's also:

Yawara
Blade of the Phantom Mask
Shadow Warrior Chronicles
Beet the Vandel Buster
Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor
Super GALS (second season)
Nerima Daikon Brothers
Pani Poni Dash!
Wings of Rean
Glass Fleet
Paradise Kiss
Spirit of the Past
Ah! My Goddess (second season)
Disgaea
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Jinki:Extend
Noein
So, since we have this list of what's been licensed, who's planning on getting what series, once they come out on DVD? I pre-ordered the SG!S2 set on July 3rd as soon as I read about it, because I've really wanted to see the rest of it ever since I finished the first season. In fact, I'd even been making plans for a fansubbing project for it, since it seemed like it was never going to be released over here. But, once the news came across, everything got dropped.

Noein looks like a high-quality and interesting sci-fi series, and since the disks were cheap to start with and even cheaper during a rightstuf sale, I pre-ordered the first 4.

I've seen a couple episodes of Pani Poni Dash!, and I'm sure ADV will do a great job with it, so I'll be getting those singles as they come out to get the cool extras.

I never got any of the fansubs of Shadow Warrior Chronicles, and there's not much else on the list that interests me, aside from AMG and maybe Beck & Paradise Kiss. So perhaps my wallet will find some reprieve in 2007, though Mai-Otome will probably be announced at some point, and other series will be continuing / concluding.
The list seems to have a lot of action/mecha/fantasy series, with a few wacky comedies (SG and PPD) and a couple of music anime (Beck and Nerima) thrown in there. I was hoping to see some of the recent etchi/comedy series like Karin and Shuffle!, and some more serious dramas like Hantsuki and Shinigami no Ballad. Of course, I'm always waiting for the "long shot pipe dream" anime like Kanon, AIR, etc., but it looks like I shouldn't hold my breath, so to speak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2