• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FMA Box Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Not only that the individual volumes sell very well, and so there isn't any point for a boxset.

Except that there's bound to be a healthy percentage of the anime consumer market that only buys box sets. I, for example, never finished anything I bought in individual discs, so I just gave up on that and started waiting around for boxes. If FUNi doesn't put out a Fullmetal box set at some point, then they aren't getting my money, period.

Which is a shame, too, because I really want to own this show, but I know if I go for individual discs I'll just have like, volumes 1, 3, 6, 12, and that'll be it. So...yeah. Box or bust, and I know there have to be many more out there who think along the same lines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Box or bust, and I know there have to be many more out there who think along the same lines.

I agree. When I first started buying anime DVDs I picked up a couple of series one at a time, but I buy almost exclusively box sets now. I just like not having to mess around with buying the individual discs.

That being said, I am also willing to wait for a while for the box set to come out. I completely understand why people that bought the series as it was released would not be too happy to see a box set come out right after the last volume, especially if it was at a significant discount. FMA is a well known enough title that I would be very surprised if some kind of collection or box set was not offered somewhere down the road, but I would not expect it to be coming out any time soon.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I could understand how releasing a boxset so soon after finishing releasing it in single volumes could upset those people who collected the single volumes first for a more niche series, but FMA is one of the most popular anime series out there. You guys are also forgetting that FMA airs for free on Cartoon Network and most people who watch the show have already taped it for free on Adult Swim. The only people I know of who would be buying the FMA DVDs are diehard fans who want to own it on DVD, people who don't get Cartoon Network or are too lazy to tape the episodes on Adult Swim, people who already downloaded the fansubs and are replacing it with legit copies, or people who prefer subs over dubs, but since the vast majority of the FMA fans have already seen the show for free on Adult Swim, I don't see how Funi releasing a boxset soon is going to hurt their sales that much.

And if you buy the DVDs individually before a boxset is released and feel pissed off at Funi for releasing a boxset after you paid all that money for the single DVDs, you have nobody to be mad at but yourself. As an anime fan, you should already know by now that most anime these days, especially the really popular titles, get boxset releases sooner or later and if you bought the single volumes first, that's your problem, not Funi's. It's highly unrealistic to expect Funi to release an FMA boxset by Christmas. I think that'd be a little too soon, but I don't see how sales of FMA DVDs would be hurt if Funi releases a boxset for it say sometime next year. By then the show would still be a hit that people who didn't buy the single DVDs would be interested in buying it, but its popularity will have died down by then so that not as many people would be collecting the single DVDs anymore anyway, especially since by then most FMA fans will have moved onto Adult Swim's next big hit , Bleach, anyway. Besides, just look at how many re-releases other popular anime like Evangelion have recieved. Evangelion has a new re-release almost every other year and each time anime fans will complain, but the DVDs still sell well enough that it's one of ADV's biggest hits. If Evangelion can survive its mass number of re-releases, I'm sure FMA could survive a boxset or two.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Except that there's bound to be a healthy percentage of the anime consumer market that only buys box sets. I, for example, never finished anything I bought in individual discs, so I just gave up on that and started waiting around for boxes. If FUNi doesn't put out a Fullmetal box set at some point, then they aren't getting my money, period.

Which is a shame, too, because I really want to own this show, but I know if I go for individual discs I'll just have like, volumes 1, 3, 6, 12, and that'll be it. So...yeah. Box or bust, and I know there have to be many more out there who think along the same lines.

I would agree, with me being one of those people. FUNi also tends to wait a few years on releasing boxsets as well (with a perfectly understandable reason), so at this rate, FUNi will never get my $ for a long time.

As for the FMA boxset, I wouldn't expect it happening for quite some time. With it being a popular title, they might want to make as much money off of the single DVD's before releasing a boxset. But hey, what do I know? =\

Although, I can say that a boxset release before X-mas is unlikely.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Nagisa I understand where your coming from, but for me I would be very upset if funimation released a boxset this X-Mas. I know that there is definetly a market for people who only want boxset, hell look at the number post concerning when series X is getting (Cowboy Bebop anyone?) a boxset.

I would be Ok if Funimation released the first boxset (I am assuming that it will be two boxes.) sometime next year, like July or so. That way my investment doesn't feel like a waste, and also I do think that it's in Funimation best interest to release a boxset somewhere in the future....just not too soon.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'm not saying they have to release a box right now, just sometime before their license expires. This time next year would be really nice, or even next Christmas. Just sometime, eventually, is all I ask of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:47 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
And if you buy the DVDs individually before a boxset is released and feel pissed off at Funi for releasing a boxset after you paid all that money for the single DVDs, you have nobody to be mad at but yourself. As an anime fan, you should already know by now that most anime these days, especially the really popular titles, get boxset releases sooner or later and if you bought the single volumes first, that's your problem, not Funi's.
The problem is that anime companies need fans to buy the initial release DVDs, because otherwise, they wouldn't recover their costs, and in some cases, wouldn't even have enough money to continue dubbing and releasing the series. So, they have to be mindful of the fans who are willing to shell out the money for the Vol. 1 + Artbox and subsequent releases, because if everybody decided to eschew single discs in favor of boxed sets, that would be far more damaging to the industry than bootlegs/DVD-rips/fansubs are.
As someone who buys single discs of some series, and waits for boxed sets of some others, I don't have a problem with cheaper boxed sets, as long as they're not "too cheap, too soon." If I've paid for the singles, at least make the other customers wait awhile and pay a healthy amount of money for it. Funimation is generally pretty good about this, as I never see their boxed sets coming out rediculously soon after the last single disc release. What they should do with boxed sets is make them "lesser-quality" compared to the singles...ADV does this by removing disc extras from their thinpacks, and I think that if the single volumes or artboxes came with pack-ins or other special extras, the boxed sets should not include them. The example I always cite when it comes to this issue is Please Twins!, which I bought as single discs, and was released as a boxed set 6 months after vol. 4's release for $49.95 MSRP. This wouldn't be too bad, except that the boxed set included the soundtrack, postcards, and all other extras, and I'd paid $33 for vol. 1 + box alone. That's my definition of "too cheap, too soon." Now, if the boxed set had sold for $60 or $70 without the soundtrack or postcards, that would have been fine. Even though the industry loves to blame fansubs for poor sales, it's their own practices (to some extent) and release schedules that cause people to avoid single disc releases. For every person that says, "I've seen this on fansubs, I don't need to buy it," there's probably another that says, "I'll just wait for the boxed set," and both have a negative influence on profits.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Ace Attorney wrote:
Hi, I was wondering: are there are any plans on releasing the complete collection of FMA DVDs in one box or any plans on a thin pack release?

I have no idea when they'll release a box set. But Japan has released a box set with all 51 episodes, the movie, and four ovas with english subs. You can look on Ebay, but most or all of them are bootlegs, sorry I couldn't find a link for it.

Last edited by Nerv1 on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:

I have no idea when they'll release a box set. But Japan has released a box set with all 51 episodes, the movie, and four ovas with english subs. You can look on Ebay, sorry I couldn't find a link for it.

That's a bootleg and not an official release from Japan or any other country.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Ace Attorney wrote:
Hi, I was wondering: are there are any plans on releasing the complete collection of FMA DVDs in one box or any plans on a thin pack release?

I have no idea when they'll release a box set. But Japan has released a box set with all 51 episodes, the movie, and four ovas with english subs. You can look on Ebay, sorry I couldn't find a link for it.

bootleg
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
If you're foolish enough to buy the individual discs when you know there's probably a boxset of the show in the future, then you have no right to complain when it happens.

That being said, it's probably best they wait a while before they release a full boxset, so it will at least seem somewhat worth the effort of those who collect those individual discs.

I think a lot of us are probably spoiled because of boxsets and forget what it was like when we were just buying individual discs.

But trust me, there's nobody looking more forward to buying a complete FMA boxset sometime in the future than me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:

BOOTLEG Sorry to break it to ya, but if your buying a Japanese boxset for this series, it's going to be $300-400 or even more considering how expensive anime is in Japan.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Nerv1 wrote:

Guys,guys that's not what I meant. In one recent issue of Anime Insider (the april 2006 I think) they showed a picture of the DVD box set, they had a small article of it when they were giving previews of the Fullmetal Alchemist movie and was just released a while ago in Japan. The cover is silver with a picture of Al and Ed with the blade coming out of his automail.SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!!! I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT THE BOOTLEGS FOUND ON EBAY!!! NOTE: I DON'T KNOW IS IT OUT IN JAPAN YET.

TO THE PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT I WAS REFERRING TO THE BOOTLEGS, PLEASE REPLY!!! THANK YOU.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Nerv1 wrote:

Guys,guys that's not what I meant. In one recent issue of Anime Insider (the april 2006 I think) they showed a picture of the DVD box set, they had a small article of it when they were giving previews of the Fullmetal Alchemist movie and was just released a while ago in Japan. The cover is silver with a picture of Al and Ed with the blade coming out of his automail.SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!!! I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT THE BOOTLEGS FOUND ON EBAY!!! NOTE: I DON'T KNOW IS IT OUT IN JAPAN YET.

TO THE PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT I WAS REFERRING TO THE BOOTLEGS, PLEASE REPLY!!! THANK YOU.

If you're talking about this Fullmetal Alchemist (Hagane no Renkin Jutsushi) Premium Collection, then it's just 1 dvd with several episode. It retail for 30 bucks.

I've look at CDJapan (one of the hugest cd/dvd japanese retailer) and haven't seen any full set. Are you sure you know what you're talking about or just making things up? It's best to look into it first before stating it like it's a fact.

Last edited by hagakure|returns on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Yes that was it. I must of misread it when I read the article. Oh they probably meant they were also gonna release the OVA's and movie along with it. Sorry for the confusion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4