• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
His and Her Circumstances (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Man that sucks about Gantz. Am I right to assume that Kei's development as a character is messed up as well (if it ends with the Buddha story I don't see how they could develop him well). But at least Monster seems to be being handled properly, and that's the best of the three.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:25 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Man that sucks about Gantz. Am I right to assume that Kei's development as a character is messed up as well (if it ends with the Buddha story I don't see how they could develop him well).

That's exactly right. One of the episodes of the last story arc even features Kurono (who I assume is the "Kei" you mean, not Kishimoto) spoiler[talking about how he's not a strong person, and he needs a good leader to take him home]. Feh. Mad

Kagemusha wrote:
But at least Monster seems to be being handled properly, and that's the best of the three.

I'd have to say yes to that. Monster the manga is one of the spookiest stories I've ever read, and the anime is doing a bang-up job of following the manga.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:13 am Reply with quote
Anime, just like Hollywood movies, are made just for the sake of entertainment. Therefore it is unfair to expect anything more from their viewer than simply watching and judging them. One cannot expect the viewer to research or read books about why some piece of entertainment ended up the way it did nor should they be expected to have any sympathies for the people involved in a failed project in which everything went wrong. In the end all the viewer should have to go on is the end product and if it is in some way not satisfactory then the entertainers failed at their job end of story.

In the end the job of entertainers is to entertain and sometime this impedes on their artistic freedom and so they end up becoming all disillusioned and fed up with the industry and their fans just like Anno. Sure Anno had lots of things like depression, budget concerns and censorship going against him but many others have been in the same situation and still managed to come up on top. Basically all the problems of Evangelion, if one admits that there are any, can be traced down to the fact that Anno was making it for himself rather than for the fans. Such selfishness, which many critics and ”intellectuals” seem to enjoy, is often found to be present in very artistic people.

Jesus, why are artistic people always so depressed, hate the world and everyone in it and always seem to suffer from several emotional problems? If Anno really hates otaku so much why doesn’t he just do what Miyazaki, Oshii and Otomo did back in the 80’s? They are all well respected artists who distanced themselves from the anime industry and started doing their own thing and still managed to be entertaining. Perhaps Anno has a love/hate relationship with anime and otaku as he claims to hate it but as evident from his newest live action project doesn’t seem to be able to distance himself from it. But what do I know? I’m just another Otaku that feels a little let down by Anno.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to bring this backup again. I know it's old, but it's only now revelant to me.
!WARNING**SPOILERS**WARNING!
I just finished Kare Kano last night, and had the same feelings many of you expressed here - what's with the ending. I guess, though, because they're only Freshmen (Sophmores?) in high school, you can't really have a be-all end-all ending - they've got too much living left to do. I really liked the characters, especially Yukino. She changed alot from the beginning to the end. But Arima, was spoiler[pretty much the same guy the whole time. I wasn't happy at all the the very last scene they're together in the series, he's still fighting with himself. To me, that shows he didn't grow one bit.] Also, I wasn't a fan of having the last scene spoiler[be about 2 new characters I don't really care about.]
I really liked the comedy aspects of the show, and thought some of Yukino's faces reminded me a lot of Haruka from FLCL. I liked the style of the animation too, until it started to go downhill. It seems like an abundance of still shots and manga pannels started to slowly make their way into the show at regular intervals. The colorized black and white photos were also more plentifull in the 2nd half of the series. Sometimes it worked - the episode where Yukino was a paper cut out over the school was verry funny. But sometimes, it was completey disapointing, spoiler[like having 2/3 of the final episode being stills and manga panels with writing instead of dialog.] Also, how many shows have spoiler[the 2nd to last episode go off on a completely new tangent about 3rd tier characters.]
If anybody knows, how much further does the Manga go. Even if it goes downhill, I still want to at least find outspoiler[ how the play went] Does the manga have a propper ending?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:34 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
If anybody knows, how much further does the Manga go. Even if it goes downhill, I still want to at least find outspoiler[ how the play went] Does the manga have a propper ending?

Yes, the manga as a whole is far more detailed, and goes on much longer. I haven't quite read all of it, but you do get a lot more than the anime gave you. It really is a pity, because Kare Kano is (the first 2/3, anyway) among the finest romance anime I've seen.

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asuka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
The Kare Kano anime ends about halfway through volume 8 of the manga. Volume 18 or 19 of the manga was released in October 2004 in Japan. Volume 13 was released very recently in North America.

The reasons posted above as to why Masami Tsuda was unhappy with the anime were 100% correct.
jtchen85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
abunai wrote:
However, there's always recourse: go read the manga.

I advise against this. I think the manga should have ended where the anime ended. The manga just went downhill after that, and I just stopped reading it.

I thought the story was even better after the series ended(which makes me even more sad, since a second season would've been better than the first). I admit the part about Tsubasa could've been left out, but when Arima's "ambition" starts to show through, it really starts to get good =)

Oh yea, and the play was great =P
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
jtchen85 wrote:
I admit the part about Tsubasa could've been left out, but when Arima's "ambition" starts to show through, it really starts to get good =)

Oh yea, and the play was great =P

Yah, the play was wonderful... but I disagree with you about leaving out the part about Tsubasa - she's a wonderful character.

- abunai
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
msi435 wrote:
Well I say this only from a viewer?s perspective, I don't know about stylistic choices, money concerns, or pressure from broadcasters. I am just a viewer and this is what I see, and to me it's looks kind of lazy.

You still shouldn't make judgements like that without knowing the background.

Why not? People aren't obligated to learn the details of a show's production before deciding whether they like the show or not. I haven't seen the end of His&Her, but if it's bad it's bad, regardless of the creators' intentions or circumstances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
Basically all the problems of Evangelion, if one admits that there are any, can be traced down to the fact that Anno was making it for himself rather than for the fans. Such selfishness, which many critics and ”intellectuals” seem to enjoy, is often found to be present in very artistic people.

No. What Anno did with Eva is shift from the conventional narrative mode to the New Wave narrative mode of such filmmakers as Jean-Luc Godard and Alain Resnais. (And not a moment too soon... my interest in anime would have petered out by now otherwise.) That's the key to Eva; pouring the new (to anime) wine of the Nouvelle Vague into the old wineskins of the mecha genre. And there's an old saying about what happens when you pour new wine into old wineskins...

All of Gainax's interesting work since Eva has been about using the techniques and concerns of the Nouvelle Vague in more sophisticated and consistent ways, which was the main problem with Eva; not that the techniques were used, but that they were often used clumsily, and to put across simplistic ideas. The final episode of Abenobashi was an improved version of the final episodes of Eva; the aesthetic scheme is the same, but it fulfills, rather than violates, the narrative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll bet you my left testicle (The slightly smaller one) that Anno doesn't even know who those guys are. Anno himself has said that he made the anime for himself.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
I'll bet you my left testicle (The slightly smaller one) that Anno doesn't even know who those guys are. Anno himself has said that he made the anime for himself.

That's like saying the Wachowski Bros. never heard of John Woo. Really, when a filmmaker's work utilizes the distinctive techniques and (anti)narrative approach of one of the world's most legendary directors, I think there's an influence. Godard's influence is all over the series. Besides, Godard is probably the most famous experimental director in the world; how could Anno not know who the guy is?

And most artists make their work for themselves. My fave novelist, Nabokov, always insisted that his work was written for himself. Zappa, one of my fave musicians, always insisted that his policy was to make music he liked, and if anyone else liked it, that was a bonus. Amen.
sacchan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I read up to vol. 19 of Kare Kano, and Arima's arc is finally over. Tsuda writes that she'll be back to Yukino's point of view from the next volume.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Were the last three responses deleted because they were off topic or too long?

At least give us a warning when you delete posts.

I only made it long and satirically absurd because this was a relatively old thread before White revived it and I thought it would go back to being dead after me and White were done with it. It was funny though, at least by my standards.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
this was a relatively old thread before White revived it

A thread ain't old until it's been untouched for days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7