• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya Voice Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Hey they have another audition up! I'm not sure who it's for, I'm assuming it's for Kyon.

Of the voices, I chose #1 with #3 close behind. If what I'm getting from all of you Haruhi mainacs out there, Kyon is a trifle stressed and put upon by Haruhi. #'s 2, 4, 5 just didn't seem to catch that flavor with me.

It's for Itsuki. Listen to the clips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Hey they have another audition up! I'm not sure who it's for, I'm assuming it's for Kyon.

Of the voices, I chose #1 with #3 close behind. If what I'm getting from all of you Haruhi mainacs out there, Kyon is a trifle stressed and put upon by Haruhi. #'s 2, 4, 5 just didn't seem to catch that flavor with me.

1) I do not speak Japanese.

2) I've never seen a single episode of this due to the fact that I DO NOT download fansubs in any way, shape or form!

So there are some people who are voting COMPLETELY blind on these and just going with their gut.
aegismode

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
rpgmaster1 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
CGord wrote:
Jennifer Sekiguchi = Tiffany Hsieh = Stephanie Sheh.

http://www.jenseki.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=6

Added that alias as well according to that resume. Man, that makes much more sense now.

Now that you mentioned it, Tiffany Hsieh seems to be a play on Stephanie Sheh. She had only two roles in that alias and they're Koi Kaze and Tenjho Tenge.

Nah, I think it's the other way around. Although both Tiffany and Stephanie are both extremely popular self-selected English name for Taiwanese girls, Hsieh is the official spelling of a popular last name. Sheh looked like a way for her to help Americans pronounce Hsieh. Ultimately she probably felt that since she's going for a fake name, might as well be Japanese.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:50 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

1) I do not speak Japanese.

2) I've never seen a single episode of this due to the fact that I DO NOT download fansubs in any way, shape or form!

So there are some people who are voting COMPLETELY blind on these and just going with their gut.

1) I do not speak Japanese, either. I recognize the tone of Itsuki Koizumi immediatly.

2) Your opinion is irrelevant, then. Don't bother voting if you can't even figure out what character you're voting for or what they should sound like.

People who are voting "completely blind" are mindless fanboy/girls simply voting on their favorite VAs and not on which ones suit which character. They shouldn't vote - they'll only end up causing the dub to be subpar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CGord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

(completely off-topic but) Why would you not download a show that has not been licensed? I mean, I can understand not downloading it now that it's licensed, but why there would be a problem before that happens, I dunno. Props to Bandai for calling out downloaders who do not buy R1's.

Anyways, we now return you to the topic at hand. Haurhi!
8daze

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they're obviously not condemning those who do watch pre-licensing fansubs. They're making use of our knowledge to help them profit, for goodness' sake!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
Oh come on. I haven't seen the fansubs either, but I'm still voting. that person jumped to conclusions too soon, but obviously she at least knows something ABOUT the show and was trying to make an intelligent (if mistaken) vote.

I think that some of us who haven't seen the show yet might be able to pick the voices *better*--we're not just going with "sounds like the Japanese voice", we're trying to pick what we think matches the character the best. So far, all have my votes have been going with popular opinion anyway. Besides, how many of you will even watch the dub?

To top it off, I'm more familiar with Texas-based VA, so I'm not at all going with whatever actor I simply like the best. I'm not that shallow, anyway. Even a good actor can put out a bad proformance if they're miscast.

As for why she doesn't download fansubs, maybe she can't afford to buy a lot of DVDs, so doesn't want to be committed to buying them just because she downloaded a fansub? I watch some fansubs, but I always limit the amount I download because I'm low on funds--hence why I haven't seen Haruhi.

If she was going "OMG NUMBER ONE IS JOHNNY YOUNG BOSCH!", then maybe you'd have the right to bash her, but she's *trying* to make an intelligent decision--yelling at her as if the show only belongs to you is overboard.

(That being said, it's fairly obvious it's not Kyon--why would they name the auditions for him "a happy guy"? Anime hyper)

EDIT: Anyway, I've just spoiled myself a bit by reading a few profiles for Itsuki, and I've brought up a screenshot of him, too, so...here's my opions on the voices:

1. This is the only one I recongize--it's obviously JYB. I like him as an actor, but I think his performance sounds too....forgive the pun...melancholy for the role. He's just not happy enough sounding. Anime hyper So I say no, not him.

2. I like this version. He's cheerful and friendly. He sounds a litte hesitant though, which sounds a bit funny to me...

3. This one's OK, but like JYB'S version, I think he doesn't sound quite cheerful enough...

4. This one's really interesting because his performance sounds really different compared to the other actors, particularly the way he said "but for now, I'll give you the short version". I think it's a good voice for the character--it's a bit higher, but it's a nice balance--it's not too high, or too low sounding.
I think the performance is good, too--conversational and friendly. Sounds like someone who would annoy Kyon, too. Anime hyper

5. This one's...okay, I guess. The voice works, but the performance...he sounds...lazy? I'm not sure, he just doesn't seem to fit right to me. I guess Itsuki should be a bit laid back, but this sounds too much?

Over all I think #4's voice fits how the character looks, and I really like the jovial, friendly tone to the performance, too, so I'm definately going with him. I don't think I've felt so strongly about any of the choices yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Oh come on. I haven't seen the fansubs either, but I'm still voting. that person jumped to conclusions too soon, but obviously she at least knows something ABOUT the show and was trying to make an intelligent (if mistaken) vote..

Thank you.

Quote:

(That being said, it's fairly obvious it's not Kyon--why would they name the auditions for him "a happy guy"? Anime hyper)

Embarassed Missed the "happy" part somehow. Embarassed

But, just because I was wrong about the character and I haven't seen the show, does not mean that my opinion doesn't matter. I listened to the Japanese VA several times, and I chose the one I liked best out of the English.

And for someone to say that I do not have a right to my own opinion or vote is also being a bit of a "mindless fanboy/girl" or at least a snobby one.

I'm actually trying to be as unbiased about this series as I can. Like I said, I haven't seen it yet and I'm planning on getting it once it's released. But, I don't want to form...solid...opionions about it for fear that those opinions might affect my enjoyment of the series But once I DO get my hands on the series, I plan on sitting for several hours and read the monster Haruhi thread on the Anime Forum.
CGord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I think that some of us who haven't seen the show yet might be able to pick the voices *better*--we're not just going with "sounds like the Japanese voice", we're trying to pick what we think matches the character the best.

That doesn't make sense. How can you choose better when you have no idea who the character is? Sounding similar to the original is imporant, but to claim that's the only standard everyone who's already seen the series is applying to their choice? Come on.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Besides, how many of you will even watch the dub?

Look at all the people who are familiar with this series and familiar with the English VA's. They obviously watch both, overall preference notwithstanding.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I think that some of us who haven't seen the show yet might be able to pick the voices *better*--we're not just going with "sounds like the Japanese voice", we're trying to pick what we think matches the character the best.

That doesn't make sense. How can you choose better when you have no idea who the character is? Sounding similar to the original is imporant, but to claim that's the only standard everyone who's already seen the series is applying to their choice? Come on.

A large number of the quotes I've seen in the post regarding what people are voting for say "it sounds the closest to the Japanese". Should that even really be an issue? The point is the performance.

And I know more than "nothing" about the show--it's hard NOT to know about the show, being an anime fan. Plus, I've gone out of my way to spoil myself so I can vote appropriately for the characters. I may not know everything about the characters, but I make a point of being educated about my choices. I've been going against the grain for Itsuki, but I actually voted the same as fansub fans for Yuki and Mikuru (without checking their opinions), so I must be doing SOMETHING right--or we're *all* doing something wrong.

Quote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Besides, how many of you will even watch the dub?

Look at all the people who are familiar with this series and familiar with the English VA's. They obviously watch both, overall preference notwithstanding.

Well, good, I'm glad to see some people are willing to watch the dubs. I don't mean to be snippy on that issue--I've just known far too many people who are quick to attack dubs that I really enjoyed, so I've gotten to where I get defensive about the issue. ^^; It's frusterating being treated like a second-class anime fan if you watch the english version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CGord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of an English VA fanboy than I am of the Japanese Seiyuu (as an example, I just bought Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 specifically to watch a series with Christine Auten in the lead role). As far as an overall viewing preference, I'm pretty evenly split. There are some where I only want the Japanese, some where I only want the English, & some where I'm fine with either. I think those that adopt a purist, elitist, cork-sniffing snob attitude towards dubs are selling their own anime experience short.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm much the same way, I go back and forth all the time (although, like you, I'm much more familiar with American voice actors--I've heard Christine Auten in quite a few things lately, I really like her work).

Sorry for my snappish attitude earlier. ^^ Thanks for setting me straight.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Oh come on. I haven't seen the fansubs either, but I'm still voting. that person jumped to conclusions too soon, but obviously she at least knows something ABOUT the show and was trying to make an intelligent (if mistaken) vote.

If you haven't seen the show, you don't know the character.

If you haven't seen the show, you wouldn't know what voice fits the character.

If you haven't seen the show, YOUR OPINION IS USELESS.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
By telling me my opinion is useless, you're basically just making me not want to listen to you. Maybe I don't know the character as well as you, but I'm studying up on the characters before I vote. I don't care if you think I have a right to vote in the poll or not.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
By telling me my opinion is useless, you're basically just making me not want to listen to you. Maybe I don't know the character as well as you, but I'm studying up on the characters before I vote. I don't care if you think I have a right to vote in the poll or not.

"Studying up" on the character is pointless unless you've seen his interactions or heard his dialogue. You have to see the show to actually understand what kind of character Itsuki Koizumi really is.

Sadly, I have a feeling a lot of other people like you will be voting in this poll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10