• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Air (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treatment

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
GOL wrote:
I heard so many good things about this show but at the end of it I was just kind of lost.

SPOILERS

spoiler[ They spent 12 episodes going on about a girl in the sky...YET THEY NEVER LOOK FOR HER! ]

Yukito was the only one aware of the legend since it's his quest and yet, even he was only half-heartedly looking since he doesn't understand it, either.

Quote:
spoiler[The main character turns into a bird.]
reincarnation-theme.

Quote:
spoiler[Why did Misizu have to die?! ]

Please refer to Uraha's full explanation in the Summer-arc of what will happen when the curse is finally lifted.

Quote:
Also, why did Yukito do nothing to save her?
He did the only thing he can do as was his purpose: he spoiler[gave her some more time to live].

Quote:
Did I not understand the end of this series right? Why did all that stuff happen? spoiler[Did Misizu actually die? What happened to Yukito?] Someone explain this series!

I suggest re-watching the TV-series again. Also, if you still cannot understand it, try the alternate-retelling of the Movie-version. The movie-version was much more straightforward and an easier-to-understand story-re-telling since it has a direct focus. Plus, Misuzu' alot more prettier and emphatic in it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
I have these. Razz

Wow. Shocked

Just. Wow. Anime smile + sweatdrop

However, I heard there were some color bleeding problems in early DVDs of Air...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Having a sad or unhappy ending is not pointless at all. If every story worked out then storytelling itself would be boring and mundane. Life doesn't always work out. Personally I think if a story evokes some level emotion out of you then it's good. Air packed an emotional punch that struck chords with a lot of viewers (including myself), and I think it speaks volumes for a series when it can do that. If the best reason for disliking a series is because the ending is sad, not to minimize your opinion but I can't really take much stock in it.

One could argue that the whole point of fiction is so one can escape the real world, enjoy themselves, and watch/read things where normal rules need not apply or are cleverly contrived to weave a story of the writers imagination which may or may not be plausable. The difference is in who you ask and everyone's got their own opinion.

Anyway as I said I'm fine with sad endings but up to a point, Air (the movie for clarification's sake) on the other hand is the exception because it's entirely a romance story whose only intent is the characters' relationship and thus is rendered pointless by the spoiler[girl's death because obvoiously thay can't]. For instance in Lunar Legend Tsukihime spoiler[a simmiliar situation occurs] and it's one of my favorite series. The difference is that Tsukihime has an overall story aside from the romance that was concluded successfully and well even though spoiler[Arcuaid ends up biting the dust, she does so because she would have rather died than suck Shiki's blood to save herself because she loved him and through him learned to truely live instead of just existing.] A fine line divides these I realize, but while spoiler[Arcuaid's death is a concious choice on her part, Misuzu did not have one she was going to die because of some crappy "destiny" out of her control] Stories about inescapable destiny and fate never really grab me because I think they're total bullsh** concepts. The difference is entirely philosophical on my part, based on personal principals as I prefer to believe that fate is something which we all make for ourselves not something predetermined. I hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun May 07, 2006 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
treatment

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
treatment wrote:
I have these. Razz

Wow. Shocked

Just. Wow. Anime smile + sweatdrop

However, I heard there were some color bleeding problems in early DVDs of Air...

Never heard of any color bleeding problems, but the Air-TV R2 suffered from some slight/minor compression-problems in the intro-theme.

It'll be interesting to spot-check the quality of the blueray-versions when they come out soon.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
Never heard of any color bleeding problems, but the Air-TV R2 suffered from some slight/minor compression-problems in the intro-theme.

Horizontal lines during OP (particularly during Misuzu's romaji name displayed)? That's the infamous IVTC (inverse telecine) problem plagued both R2 and R3 versions of Air TV.

treatment wrote:
It'll be interesting to spot-check the quality of the blueray-versions when they come out soon.

Me too. However, personally I support HD-DVD over Blu-ray.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dgreater1

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Stories about inescapable destiny and fate never really grab me because I think they're total bullsh** concepts. The difference is entirely philosophical on my part, based on personal principals as I prefer to believe that fate is something which we all make for ourselves not something predetermined.

I don't think Air is telling us about inescapable destiny or fate, and I don't think Misuzu's spoiler[death] is inescapable, well, in the series though not in the movie (all you have to do is just ignore her and shel'll grow old and and alone). There are things that will happen that is inevitable and all you can do is just accept that it happened. It all depends on the person whether to regret it or not later on. And as for Misuzu, she accepted that fact and proclaimed that at least she did her best and didn't regret it.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="treatment"]
dormcat wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

IchigoK90 wrote:
2. Everyone has seen it via fansub and/or bootleg (if people know places to find it)

I have these, and some friends of mine have these.

I have these. Razz

---

cheezisgoooood wrote:
Well, sorry if I don't agree with anybody. All I'm saying is Air reminds me of what it would be like if Trigun was only half as long because Vash The Stampede suddenly died while everything was still on the verge of being revealed about where he came from.

Since I'm a Trigun-fan as well, that Trigun-reminder/comparison of yours really doesn't make any sense at all against Air. It's totally mindboggling to even begin to consider.

Air is not like Trigun at all, but that's not the point I was trying to make. You would be crazy to even think I was crazy enough to make that kind of a comparison. What I meant by that is Air is a series I felt should have been much longer, it felt like it was cut short in everything it was trying to do.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't panic, I'm not struggling to breathe gasping at my keyboard, however I am currently watching Air and struggling to quite grasp what is going on.

I've watched up to episode 8 and I have a nagging feeling that I am missing something - although perhaps (as is often the case,) I am not supposed to really understand it at the moment. If so, then I would just like to be told not to worry and my confusion at the moment is to be expected...

So far, what I understand (from memory,) spoiler[Yukito is some random puppet guy who turned up at this town in search of some winged girl his mother used to talk about, and then meets Misuzu, who it turns out has dreams about flying and stuff and has some mysterious problem involving a crying fit when she is about to make a friend. She seems to die at the end of episode 7? But Yukito then seems to disappear leaving behind his puupet.

There are two other girls, although one of them turns out to be a fragment of a dream of Minagi and is meant to be her dead/never existed sister.

There is also Kano who touched a feather at a shrine and then keeps going back to the shrine and weird stuff happens.

Then the next section of the anime starts and it is set in a different time (or parallel world,) with a different winged girl, who goes to find her mother. ]

Basically, that is what I have followed so far, and as far as I can tell it doesn't really fit together in a way which makes sense particularly. I was tired when I watched a couple of the episodes, so did I really miss something? Or is it just meant to be rather obscure at this point and it will all become clear?

Please bear in mind that I have only watched up to episode 8 so don't spoil the ending for me... Very Happy

On a side note: Has anyone played the h-game it is based on? I was just wondering, how on earth there could be any hentai scenes in what I have seen so far? I just don't get how or where it would fit in?!
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh, just watched episode 9 and it has started to make sense, so panic over. Just ignore me and my inane rambling. I just started to worry when a 13 episode series makes no sense to me by episode 8... Razz
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Luminal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
On a side note: Has anyone played the h-game it is based on? I was just wondering, how on earth there could be any hentai scenes in what I have seen so far? I just don't get how or where it would fit in?!

I found on the internet the artbook with the original sketches of all the characters which was really beautiful BUT... among the beautiful drawings of the characters sometimes you see a drawing of them naked and in very explicit situations. I found that very sick because the characters are all like 10 years old.

Probably the hentai game is like that too.

Luminal

PS Once you finish watchign the series and you understand it all please explain it to me because I didn't.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:
I found that very sick because the characters are all like 10 years old.

Errr...I'd put them at around 14 actually...when was the last time you saw a 10 year old with any kind of chest? As far as I am concerned that is about the only viable way of determining the age of an anime character in this kind of series. Tiny chest = <12 any kind of chest >13.

Either way it's not particularly pleasant to watch character portrayed as that young in those kind of situations...It does limit my hentai options though...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Also note that (with the exception of Michiru), the seifuku worn by the main characters is not an elementary school design, I'd even go as far as to say they looks like high school rather than middle school (not that I'm any expert). Was the name of their school ever stated?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Was the name of their school ever stated?

http://birds-song-air.whitesnow.jp/genti-sironoe.htm
http://www.ko1jikan.jp/special2/air2.html
ChaosMaiden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
OK, for any of you that have seen the anime AIR, I'm kinda lost. Oh yeah, i suggest if you don't want the anime spoiled for you you stop reading now Anime smile.

Anyways, so in the end what happens to Misuzu?

I have two ideas and I'm sure someone out there knows for sure so please help.

spoiler[First she dies like she was supposed to after she reachers her goal, which I think is wrong but I decided to say it anyways.

or

She is saved by Yukito when he kind, well sacrificed himself to be that crow. And in the end with her aunt she is getting better.]

I don't really know what happened to tell you the truth but I'm sure someone out there knows and they will set me straight. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7