• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:22 pm Reply with quote

(The) Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten (TV)

Soucre: Light Novel (ongoing @ 7 Volumes + 1 Short Story, written by Saekisan, illustrated by Hazuno Kazuktake [Volume 1], Hanekoto [Volume 2+])

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Project No. 9

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: school

Plot Summary: Amane lives alone in an apartment, and the most beautiful girl in school, Mahiru, lives just next door. They've almost never spoken—until the day he sees her in distress on a rainy day and lends her his umbrella. To return the favor, she offers him help around the house, and a relationship slowly begins to blossom as the distance between them closes.

Air Date & Platform:
January 7, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:21 am; edited 4 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Four episodes down and Dense-kun and Clueless-chan are slowly, SLOOOOOOOWLY, working their way to figuring out that they actually dig each other. This is definitely Dude Wish Fulfillment City. Hey, wouldn't be great if I lived next door to a beautiful girl who generally doesn't let anybody get close to her but who decides to cook and clean for me? Gee, that would be nice.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 am Reply with quote
I think this one does a better job of the low-key, soothing slice of life thing than Ice Guy and his Cool Colleague. I'm sure the anime gets some flack because the female lead is fulfilling the role of a 50's wife, but I don't really see her as being subservient. She seems to have come from a hostile or uncaring family life. She maintains good grades and is nice and polite at school because it's less troublesome that way, but it's exhausting. Her home is the safe place she makes for herself that she has some control over, and she's a bit obsessive about it. At the same time, it's lonely.

It's not a completely one-sided relationship. She's making meals anyhow. Her neighbor is a domestic train wreck and paying half the budget. The arrangement becomes the reason for their interaction, etc. He's learning to take better care of the apartment and taking his first steps to learning how to cook for himself, and she's learning to open up a little bit and rely on others sometimes. If this was a show about a female introvert and a male neighbor who was a good cook, I doubt it would raise any hackles at all.

That said, I get that men not doing their share of domestic chores is a real thing.

The show is slowly bringing new characters in, and they're pretty good. The mom is amusing. The male lead's friends are likable. I'm pretty sure the next one up will be the school's prince that the show foreshadowed.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I was a little surprised to find out that the prince of the school seems to be a gently befuddled young man somewhat at the mercy of his own popularity. Sort of a male counterpart to the angel. I was expecting him to be some Gascon type from Beauty and the Beast...you know....I'm the prettiest man in the school. She's the prettiest female...that makes her the only one fit to be my girlfriend...

Liking Chitose and the BFF more and more as supporting characters. .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

What moves slower... a glacier or these two numbskulls figuring out that they are warm for each others forms? That's right, the numbskulls. Still in enjoying the show but I have to admit, the same pattern of these two hanging out and having thunderously obvious indications that they are in lurv while simultaneously not hoisting that bit of obviousness on board in a conscious way is a bit wearying. I need some other distraction. Taking a page out of Handyman Saito's playbook, perhaps this show could suddenly pivot and become about revenge-maddened ninjas and, I dunno, an alien princess who wears a bear suit?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I I was expecting him to be some Gascon type from Beauty and the Beast.. .

I meant Gaston. Not, y'know, some rando from the southwest of France.

Blood - Instead of getting impatient, I'm actually more dreading the inevitable shattering of this little snow globe they're currently living in. It was hinted that the MC was a victim of bullying at his old school, and that the girl comes from a rich, uncaring family. I figure one or both of those factors is going to come crashing in right around episode 10 at the latest.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Prepared to have your delicate heart stomped flat, Edjwald! Heh-heh-heh... Plus, can you PROVE that Mahiru ISN'T an alien princess who will eventually don a bear suit???
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, technically, I can't prove a negative. However:

Exhibit A: When I looked up series related to this anime's light novel on the offchance that any of them involved alien princesses or bear suits, I found another light novel called For Some Reason, the School Goddess Likes to Hang Out at My House.

Exhibit B: When I examined the cover of said light novel, I was shocked, - *shocked* I tell you - to discover that the cover character was "clearly" Mahiru with a hair ribbon and a different school uniform. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to show pictures or include web links on these forums, but you can look it up if you don't believe me.

Exhibit C: When I read the description of said light novel, it said the following:

Day after day, Tokiwagi Towa spends all of his time toiling at his part-time job. His life was far from fulfilling. One day, by a strange coincidence, he gets involved with Wakamiya Rin, a beauty who was the most popular girl in his school. They weren’t supposed to have anything to do with each other. And yet, this is how these two people gradually come to a compromise with each other’s differences.

Now, to be fair, I haven't read the light novel in question, but I think it's pretty obvious what's going on here. Evidently, Mahiru is a serial killer moving from place to place under different names, using her charms to worm her way into vulnerable otakus' apartments
and hearts before finally dismembering them.

Or I've officially been watching too much In/Spectre...it's hard to say which.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I would grudgingly accept your serial killer interpretation if the whole revenge-maddened ninjas/alien princess in a bear suit doesn't come to fruition. Anything! Anything other than more endless, "Wha-- what is this feeling?!?"

Oh, just for the record... it is simply not possible to watch TOO much In/Spectre. That last episode with the wonderful Tae-san and sake drinking bakeneko was godly!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

I can't answer for the bear suit, but Mahiru's mother spoiler[is clearly not human. Compared to her, Tagia Aisaka's father is a candidate for father of the year.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear. That's unfortunate.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:56 am Reply with quote
Mustn't....read...spoiler...

But if it's not about the bear suit, it must be about the alien princess angle.

If Alan45 just revealed that Mahiru's mom is really Sailor Moon, this is going to become the weirdest anime twist ever.

Wait...would Sailor Moon be uncaring? Hard to imagine. Maybe Rita Repulsa?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:41 am Reply with quote
Logically, the presence of an angel implies,,,,?? spoiler["uncaring" would be a step up].
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Cruela D'ville?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:31 am Reply with quote
You are getting warmer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7