• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Period (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote

Blue Period (TV)

Genres: drama
Themes: slice of life

Plot Summary: Yatora Yaguchi excels in school and is well-liked by his peers, but inside he's a high school boy grappling with emptiness and frustration. That is, until one day when he finds himself fascinated by a painting. The painting's impact drives Yatora to throw himself into the harsh and beautiful world of art.

Oct. 2, 2021 (Saturdays; Netflix)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I think that this might be the last episode, although it kind of feels half like it is, and half like there might be a tad more. This episode being the last of the exams for uni, and Yaguchi spoiler[being kind of dumbfounded that he actually got in]. I really didn't take part in discussions in this show, although I really didn't do that for much this past season due to some work related reasons. I might have thought that there could have been quite a bit I could say, although maybe not a huge lot on the actual plot of goings an art student.

Honestly, my main discussion point for the show would have been about Yuka, since a lot of their story seems to be about things like their gender. Yuka being AMAB with a feminine presentation, but I would say kind of bucks what a lot of characters can fall into, where I would say they even try to force themselves into the role but get frustrated by it. Anyway, I already talked about them in the trans and gender nonconforming thread, so I won't do a lot of repeating. But that they were more of a side character and were not entirely even with how their themes followed with the main plot. At the least there was development of Yaguchi being able to be more open and accept them.

But also, is it just me or were there even more queer elements to this show? Haruka also has a sort of queer air to him too. And there is just something about the chemistry between Yaguchi and Takahashi, that kind of comes across like the sort of thing you might find in romantic comedy/drama, the sort of thing where they don't seem to get alongm but are also drawn to each other. I am not really sure what to say about these parts, like if they are intentional, or I am reading into things too much. To be sure Yaguchi is also drawn to his female senior.

Anyway, a rating. I am putting down a Good (7/10), it is worth seeing. Not really blow me away, but I would say that it gripped me a few times even for me kind of putting it a bit early on my watch list for the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1